HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1751
Name:Boringdon Camp, Sparkwell

Summary

The probable Iron Age enclosure of Boringdon Camp, previously interpreted as a simple univallate hillfort, occupies the summit of a spur between the valley of the River Plym to the west and the Tory Brook to the east. An original outwork and possible barbican are recorded on the south-east side of the enclosure. Several features including a possible outworks and ring-ditch are recorded in association with the camp. Geophysical survey and aerial survey interpreting lidar derived images have identified possible internal features.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 543 596
Map Sheet:SX55NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishShaugh Prior
Civil ParishSparkwell
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishPLYMPTON ST.MARY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 438415
  • National Record of the Historic Environment: 438415
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX55NW/3
  • Old SAM County Ref: 194
  • Old SAM Ref: 33784
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX55NW2

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HILLFORT (Iron Age - 700 BC to 42 AD (Between))

Full description

Woollcombe, H., 1839-1850, Woollcombe Manuscript (Un-published). SDV16214.

Single rampart and ditch circa 152 metres diameter. Plan in manuscript.

Worth, R. N., 1887, Beginnings of Plympton History, 365-6 (Article in Serial). SDV149483.

Boringdon Camp, or Castle Ring. Area 1.61 hectares, internal diameter 155 metres, external diameter 168 metres. Stands on the ridge which divides the valleys of the Rivers Plym and Tory Brook. Site of great strength. Circular in plan. Enclosed by a single rampart and ditch. Rampart practically complete. Ditch has been ploughed down in places, but it is well marked on the south side. Original entrance on south-south-east, where the plantation hedge cuts the circle. The rampart opening was covered within by a crescent-shaped bank, the hollow facing outwards. Still traces of a passage or a covered way between the end of this bank and the rampart on the east. There may have been another passage on the west. Traces of further works may be seen in the plantation; two banks thrown up in front of the entrance so that the approach was by a kind of commanded zig-zag.

Joce, T. J., 1926 - 1927, Boringdon Placename, 305 (Article in Serial). SDV149492.

The name derives from Anglo-Saxon 'Burh y Don' meaning entrenched place on the hill.

Pilkington-Rogers, C. W, 1932, The Date of the Dartmoor Antiquities, 385 (Article in Serial). SDV149513.

Beckerlegge, J. J., 1935, 4th Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 226 (Article in Serial). SDV149514.

Ministry of Works, 1939, Borringdon Camp (Schedule Document). SDV149487.

Single ramparted hillfort. Ditch mainly ploughed in. Entrance on south, shown by slight incurved rampart. A quarry in the plantation just outside the entrance has removed part of the causeway and ditch. Interior under plough.

Beckerlegge, J. J., 1939, Eighth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 178 (Article in Serial). SDV149484.

The camp has never been excavated and there are no reported finds.

Royal Air Force, 1946, CPE/UK 1890, 1235-6 (Aerial Photograph). SDV140289.

Royal Air Force, 1946, RAF/CPE/UK/1890, RAF/CPE/UK/1890 FP 1125-1126 10-DEC-1946 (Aerial Photograph). SDV169268.

The rampart and ditch are visible under scrub.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950, SX55NW2 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV149509.

Borringdon Camp (NR). (OS 6" 1968)

Borringdon Camp is enclosed by a rampart with an outside circumference of 550 feet, the inner circumference being about 40 feet less. The camp has never been excavated and there is no record of any finds during ploughing. Worth considers it is Early Iron Age. (TDA 71, 1939, 178; Rec 6" 10/12/1948 Worth, R. H.)

Visible of aerial photographs, as described above. (Aps (RAF CPE/UK/18901235-6 10/12/1946)

Harold Wingham Collection, 1959, HAW Film 9395, HAW 9395/1-2 22-JUL-1959 (Aerial Photograph). SDV363221.

The rampart and ditch are under scrub vegetation.

Royal Air Force, 1959, RAF/58/2775, RAF/58/2775 F21 0090-0091 30-APR-1959 (Aerial Photograph). SDV363220.

The rampart and ditch are clear of vegetation and clearly visible.

Cambridge University Collection, 1973, CUC/BON, 40 (Aerial Photograph). SDV149515.

Silvester, R. J., 1977, Untitled Source (Worksheet). SDV149488.

Site visited on 14th May 1977. Description of site given. Irregularity of bank attributed to clearance of stone from interior.

Bartlett, A., 1979, Boringdon Camp (Report - Survey). SDV149489.

Site visited on 16th January 1979. Bank 6 - 9 metres across: height on inside up to 1.3 metres, on outside 2.7 - 4 metres. Quarry has been largely filled in. Regularly ploughed on interior. In 1979 a geophysical survey was carried out by the Ancient Monuments Laboratory.

National Monuments Record, 1979, SF1520, 88-91 (Aerial Photograph). SDV149521.

National Monuments Record, 1979, SF1520/88-91 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV149486.

Visible on aerial photograph showing ploughed interior and breaching of the ramparts in some places. Noted by RCHM in 1985.

National Monuments Record, 1980, SF1747, 253 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV149505.

A sub-circular enclosure circa 145 metres in diameter containing approximately 1.7 hectares. Bounded by a single rampart with external ditch. Probable original entrance on south-east fronted by trapezoidal outwork. For most of its length the ditch has been almost obliterated by ploughing.
Site straddles the ridge crest separating the River Plym from the Tory Brook approximately 2 kilometres north of Plympton, and has extensive views over the Plym valley to the west and Dartmoor to the north; the south and east aspects are obscured by Cann Wood Plantation.
The interior and immediate environs of the camp are currently under re-seeded pasture while the outworks lie in a former forestry plantation to the south-east.
It would appear that the rampart was under scrub or trees until recent years.
The site appears to be a simple univallate fort with a single in-turned entrance fronted by an outwork. The form of the junction between the main camp ditch and the outwork suggests that either the latter could be a relatively early feature which was largely ignored during a postulated refurbishment of the defences, or as seems more likely, it is a later addition. Although the outwork copies the main enclosure with its bank and ditch arrangement, it does not give the impression of ever having served a defensive function.
The site has apparently never been excavated (citing Probert).

Robinson, R., 1982, List of Field Monument Warden Visits 1982 (Un-published). SDV345608.

Site visit by Department of Environment Field Monument Warden in 1982.

Balaam, N. + Smith, K. + Wainwright, G., 1982, Unknown, 263,265 (Article in Serial). SDV260579.

A geophysical survey in 1989 traced the ditch on the south and west sides. Also identified an internal enclosure on the north side but little pattern was recognisable.

Griffith, F. M., 1984, DAP/CW, 1-2 (Aerial Photograph). SDV320796.

Slater, W. + Pearson, T., 1985, A Survey of Boringdon Camp, 112-5 (Article in Serial). SDV149494.

Boringdon Camp is an univallate hillfort of moderate size. It is sited on the crest of the hill between the Plym and Tory Brook. In shape it is circular, averaging 160 metres diameter and enclosing an area of some 2 hectares. Not excavated but was subject to a geophysical survey by the Ancient Monuments Laboratory. During a visit to the site in 1982 it was observed that the Ordnance Survey plan did not contain all the features visible. An outwork comparable with that at Blackbury was identified and surveyed. A survey was undertaken enabling a new plan and profiles to be drawn. Observations and descriptions are contained in this article along with discussion notes reporting on the two phases of construction. Sketch map and diagrams.

Department of Environment, 1985, Boringdon Camp (Correspondence). SDV149498.

Schedule Monument Consent granted for ploughing and corn sowing.

Fox, A., 1986, Boringdon Camp (Worksheet). SDV149495.

Following recent survey by Slater and Pearson, the farmer has bought the area south of the entrance and clear felled it, exposing the triangular outwork newly discovered. The outwork resembles that at Blackbury Castle but without the inturn. The earthworks are spread and eroded. Visit by Fox and Quinnell with notes.

Timms, S. C., 1988, Slide (Photograph). SDV149496.

Site purchased by South Hams District Council as a public monument in 1988. Reseeded and put down to grass.

Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1989, An Archaeological Assessment of the South Devon Spine Main (Roborough to Littlehempston), 7 (Report - Assessment). SDV138026.

Department of Environment, 1989, Boringdon Camp (Correspondence). SDV149499.

Schedule Monument Consent granted for infilling of erosion scars and seeding.

Griffith, F. M., 1989, DAP/PR, 1-13 (Aerial Photograph). SDV149534.

Griffith, F. M., 1990, DAP/TK, 12-3 (Aerial Photograph). SDV149537.

Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1991, Boringdon Camp (Report - Survey). SDV149504.

Survey undertaken on behalf of the Plymouth fringe.

Probert, S. A. J., 1991, Borringdon Camp (Report - Survey). SDV149497.

Survey undertaken at scale of 1/500 by Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.

Department of Environment, 1992, Boringdon Camp (Correspondence). SDV149501.

Schedule Monument Consent granted for the removal of a hedgebank.

Ordnance Survey, 1992, OS/92108 V, OS/92108 V 150-152 16-MAY-1992 (Aerial Photograph). SDV363222.

The rampart and ditch of the camp are clearly visible clear of vegetation.

Gent, T. H., 1995, Evaluation Excavations in Advance of Hedgebank Removal at Boringdon Camp, Sparkwell (Report - Evaluation). SDV149503.

Excavation in advance of hedgerow removal illustrated the limited depth of hedgebank material overlying the enclosure bank. Only in the area of the entrance were deposits encountered to any great depth. It would appear that the outer top edge to the Iron Age bank had been employed to site the hedgebank. The hedgebank builders may have robbed part of a potential hornwork for construction material. See report for details.

Fox, A., 1996, Prehistoric Hillforts in Devon, 22-3 (Monograph). SDV7958.

Department of Environment, 1997, Boringdon Camp (Correspondence). SDV149502.

Schedule Monument Consent granted for works concerning improvements to the current provisions for access.

Merz & McLellan Ltd, 1998, Langage Energy Centre and Langage Energy Park Environmental Statement: Cultural Heritage (Report - Assessment). SDV320784.

Environment Agency, 1998-2017, LiDAR DTM data (1m resolution) EA: South Devon Coast to Dartmoor, LIDAR SX5459 Environment Agency DTM 01-JAN-1998 to 31-MAY-2017 (Cartographic). SDV361470.

The rampart and ditch of the camp are clearly defined, with the exception of the south-east side. Possible internal divisions are most visible on the Simple Local Relief visualtion.

Bluesky International Ltd/Getmapping PLC, 1999-2017, Pan Government Agreement Aerial Photographs, Next Perspectives APGB Imagery SX5459 31-MAY-2016 (Aerial Photograph). SDV363087.

The rampart and ditch of the camp are clearly visible clear of vegetation.

Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2001, Borringdon Camp Hillfort and Associated Remains (Schedule Document). SDV345736.

Borringdon Camp hillfort and associated remains.
This monument includes an Iron Age hillfort with associated outworks and earlier ring ditch, all located on a flat hilltop with wide local views to the north.
The hillfort survives as a sub-circular enclosure, defined by a rampart and outer ditch, with a level interior measuring 145 metres across. The rampart measures 8 metres wide, rising from the interior between 0.8 metres and 1.6 metres and falling to the outer ditch between 2.3 metres and 3.5 metres.
The ditch is 8 metres wide and between 0.2 metres and 0.6 metres deep for most of the fort's circumference. It survives best on the south-east side, where it is 1.5 metres deep. A slight upcast bank is visible on the west and north sides, between 8 metres and 10 metres wide and surviving up to 0.3 metres high.
Several entrances cut the rampart, but that on the south side is the only original one. Here, the rampart turns inward to create an entrance passage 3 metres wide,later mutilated and blocked.
Outside, the remains of a causeway across the ditch have been disturbed by a Post Medieval quarry. A barbican protected the entrance. This survives as a trapezoidal earthwork whose interior measures 37.5 metres from north to south and tapers east to west from 42 metres wide to 23 metres at the south end.
A rampart between 5 metres and 10 metres wide rises 0.4 metres from the interior and falls between 0.7 metres and 1 metre to an outer ditch 6 metres wide and 0.4 metres deep. The outer entrance to this barbican is 5 metres wide and a hollow way leads southward from it. Part of this hollow way is included in the scheduling.
An outwork, visible as a change in the slope 8 metres wide and from 0.4 metres to 0.7 metres high, leaves the east side of the fort and curves around to the north west. A short bank connects this to the main rampart on the north side and measures 12 metres wide and 0.3 metres high.
The ditch of a crescent shaped outwork on the north-west side, visible from an aerial photograph, is 35 metres from the rampart and measures approximately 70 metres long and 8 metres wide.
A ring ditch 20 metres to its south is 35 metres in diameter with a ditch 2 metres wide. This is likely to represent the levelled remains of a Late Neolithic or Bronze Age burial mound.
A long earthwork bank to the north-west of the fort is on a west-north-west to east-south-east alignment and measures 95 metres long and 12 metres wide. It survives up to 0.3 metres high.
To the east of the fort, running north-north-east to south-south-west, is a hollow way 5 metres wide and between 0.5 metres and 2 metres deep with banks 5 metres wide and 0.5 metres high. This was a Medieval road from Plympton to Shaugh Prior, abandoned between 1801 and 1840. A section of this road is included in the scheduling.
The interpretation boards, and all fence posts and track surfacings are excluded from the schduling, although the ground beneath them is included. Map object based on this Source.

Wilkes, E., 2006, Report on Geophysical Survey at Boringdon Camp, South Devon (Report - Geophysical Survey). SDV345795.

The interior of the Camp has been subjected to extensive cultivation in the past which seems to have destroyed most traces of internal features. However, a number of anomalies of archaeological potential were recorded during a geophysical survey of the interior, including a possible second inner enclosure circuit. See report for full details.

National Monuments Record, 2010, 438415 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV345737.

A simple univallate hillfort with a single inturned entrance fronted by an outwork. The camp is essentially a sub-circular enclosure about 145 metres in diameter containing approximately 1.7 hectares. It is bounded by a single rampart with an external ditch. There is a probable original entrance on the south east fronted by a trapezoidal outwork. For most of its length the ditch has been almost obliterated by ploughing.

Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Map object based on this Source.

Griffith, F. M. + Wilkes, E. M., 2011, In the Footsteps of Pioneering Women; Some Recent Work on Devon Hillforts (Article in Serial). SDV361500.

Google, 2019, Google Earth Pro, EARTH.GOOGLE.COM XX-XXX-2010 ACCESSED 17-SEP-2019 (Aerial Photograph). SDV363088.

The rampart and ditch of the camp are clearly visible.

Hegarty, C., Knight, S. and Sims, R., 2019-2020, The South Devon Coast to Dartmoor Aerial Investigation and Mapping Survey. Area 2, Avon Valley to Plymouth (AI&M, formerly NMP) (Interpretation). SDV362982.

The rampart and slight outer ditch of an apparently simple univallate fort or enclosure of probable Iron Age date are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of 1946 onwards, near the summit of a south-west facing spur forming the highest ground between the valley of the River Plym to the west and the Tory Brook to the east.
With occasional exceptions (such as in April 1959) the bank or rampart is covered with scrub vegetation on most available aerial photographs up to the 1990s.
The bank and ditch earthworks are most clearly defined on visualisations derived from lidar data captured between 1998 and 2017, with the exception of the south edge of the enclosure, including the probable original entrance, which was not covered by the available Environment Agency lidar data, and was obscured by tree cover on most aerial photographs available to the survey up to the early 2000s. As such, it was not possible to elaborate on the condition of the entrance and possible outwork or barbican and causeway recorded in this area by the above authorities to the same degree as the remainder of the site.
Across the remainder of the enclosure, the visible rampart is circa 6 to 7m wide, enclosing a roughly circular area circa 137 to 155m across, and approximately 1.7ha in area. The outer ditch measures between 4 and 8m wide but has probably been significantly eroded by modern ploughing.
Six breaks or entrances of probable modern date are identifiable distributed around the rampart. They measure 2 to 5m wide but at least four are subject to ongoing erosion, including that at SX54335960 which has been used by farm equipment to access the interior of the camp.
Within the enclosed area, a Simple Local Relief (SLR) visualisation of the lidar data reveals the interior of the camp to be less featureless than it appears.
A slight and narrow hollow or ditch 2 to 3m wide and at least 185m long is identifiable along the inner, west and south-west facing side of the rampart.
Beyond this, 6 to 7m from the inner edge of the rampart, a broader shallow hollow or ditch 8 to 15m wide is identifiable, following the entire circuit of the rampart. This might correspond with features identified by Wilkes (see SDV345795), and may be evidence of an inner ditch, possibly an inner defensive circuit or simply a source for rampart construction material. However, as the possible inner ditch is separated from the rampart by a possible berm 6 to 7m wide, the latter interpretation may be unlikely.
Within this possible inner circuit, the remaining interior of the enclosure appears to be divided by further broad radial ditches or hollows into four unevenly sized quadrants. This may be evidence for the internal organisation of the fort.
It must be considered possible, however, that the subtle internal earthworks are a result of the cultivation of the enclosed area.
Features adjacent to the camp described in the 2001 Schedule Document (see SDV345736), including a crescent shaped outwork and ring ditch were not identified by the current survey and might have been levelled. A long earthwork bank also described in the scheduling has been reinterpreted as the remains of probable extractive activity (MDV126520)

Sources / Further Reading

SDV138026Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1989. An Archaeological Assessment of the South Devon Spine Main (Roborough to Littlehempston). Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 89.15. A4 Stapled + Digital. 7.
SDV140289Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946. CPE/UK 1890. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1235-6.
SDV149483Article in Serial: Worth, R. N.. 1887. Beginnings of Plympton History. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 19. A5 Hardback. 365-6.
SDV149484Article in Serial: Beckerlegge, J. J.. 1939. Eighth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 71. A5 Hardback. 178.
SDV149486National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 1979. SF1520/88-91. National Monuments Record Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper).
SDV149487Schedule Document: Ministry of Works. 1939. Borringdon Camp. The Schedule of Monuments. Foolscap.
SDV149488Worksheet: Silvester, R. J.. 1977. Worksheet.
SDV149489Report - Survey: Bartlett, A.. 1979. Boringdon Camp. Ancient Monuments Laboratory Report. 2964. Unknown.
SDV149492Article in Serial: Joce, T. J.. 1926 - 1927. Boringdon Placename. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 14. Unknown. 305.
SDV149494Article in Serial: Slater, W. + Pearson, T.. 1985. A Survey of Boringdon Camp. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 43. Paperback Volume. 112-5.
SDV149495Worksheet: Fox, A.. 1986. Boringdon Camp. Worksheet.
SDV149496Photograph: Timms, S. C.. 1988. Slide. Photograph (Paper).
SDV149497Report - Survey: Probert, S. A. J.. 1991. Borringdon Camp. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Report. Unknown.
SDV149498Correspondence: Department of Environment. 1985. Boringdon Camp. Scheduled Monument Consent Letter. Letter.
SDV149499Correspondence: Department of Environment. 1989. Boringdon Camp. Scheduled Monument Consent Letter. Letter.
SDV149501Correspondence: Department of Environment. 1992. Boringdon Camp. Scheduled Monument Consent Letter. Letter.
SDV149502Correspondence: Department of Environment. 1997. Boringdon Camp. Scheduled Monument Consent Letter. Letter.
SDV149503Report - Evaluation: Gent, T. H.. 1995. Evaluation Excavations in Advance of Hedgebank Removal at Boringdon Camp, Sparkwell. Exeter Archaeology Report. 95.59. A4 stapled + Digital.
SDV149504Report - Survey: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1991. Boringdon Camp. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Report. Unknown.
SDV149505National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 1980. SF1747. National Monuments Record Index. Card Index. 253.
SDV149509Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950. SX55NW2. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital.
SDV149513Article in Serial: Pilkington-Rogers, C. W. 1932. The Date of the Dartmoor Antiquities. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 64. A5 Hardback. 385.
SDV149514Article in Serial: Beckerlegge, J. J.. 1935. 4th Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 67. A5 Hardback. 226.
SDV149515Aerial Photograph: Cambridge University Collection. 1973. CUC/BON. Cambridge University Collection of Aerial Photographs. Photograph (Paper). 40.
SDV149521Aerial Photograph: National Monuments Record. 1979. SF1520. National Monuments Record Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 88-91.
SDV149534Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1989. DAP/PR. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1-13.
SDV149537Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1990. DAP/TK. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 12-3.
SDV16214Un-published: Woollcombe, H.. 1839-1850. Woollcombe Manuscript. Manuscript.
SDV169268Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946. RAF/CPE/UK/1890. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). RAF/CPE/UK/1890 FP 1125-1126 10-DEC-1946.
SDV260579Article in Serial: Balaam, N. + Smith, K. + Wainwright, G.. 1982. Unknown. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. 48. Unknown. 263,265.
SDV320784Report - Assessment: Merz & McLellan Ltd. 1998. Langage Energy Centre and Langage Energy Park Environmental Statement: Cultural Heritage. Merz & McLellan Ltd. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV320796Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1984. DAP/CW. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1-2.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV345608Un-published: Robinson, R.. 1982. List of Field Monument Warden Visits 1982. Lists of Field Monument Warden Visits. Printout.
SDV345736Schedule Document: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2001. Borringdon Camp Hillfort and Associated Remains. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV345737National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2010. 438415. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV345795Report - Geophysical Survey: Wilkes, E.. 2006. Report on Geophysical Survey at Boringdon Camp, South Devon. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV361470Cartographic: Environment Agency. 1998-2017. LiDAR DTM data (1m resolution) EA: South Devon Coast to Dartmoor. Environment Agency LiDAR data. Digital. LIDAR SX5459 Environment Agency DTM 01-JAN-1998 to 31-MAY-2017. [Mapped feature: #82044 ]
SDV361500Article in Serial: Griffith, F. M. + Wilkes, E. M.. 2011. In the Footsteps of Pioneering Women; Some Recent Work on Devon Hillforts. British Archaeological Reports. 548. Paperback Volume.
SDV362982Interpretation: Hegarty, C., Knight, S. and Sims, R.. 2019-2020. The South Devon Coast to Dartmoor Aerial Investigation and Mapping Survey. Area 2, Avon Valley to Plymouth (AI&M, formerly NMP). Historic England Research Report. Digital.
SDV363087Aerial Photograph: Bluesky International Ltd/Getmapping PLC. 1999-2017. Pan Government Agreement Aerial Photographs. Aerial Photography for Great Britain Aerial Photographs. Digital. Next Perspectives APGB Imagery SX5459 31-MAY-2016.
SDV363088Aerial Photograph: Google. 2019. Google Earth Pro. Various. Digital. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM XX-XXX-2010 ACCESSED 17-SEP-2019.
SDV363220Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1959. RAF/58/2775. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). RAF/58/2775 F21 0090-0091 30-APR-1959.
SDV363221Aerial Photograph: Harold Wingham Collection. 1959. HAW Film 9395. Harold Wingham Collection. Photograph (Paper). HAW 9395/1-2 22-JUL-1959.
SDV363222Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1992. OS/92108 V. Ordnance Survey. Photograph (Paper). OS/92108 V 150-152 16-MAY-1992.
SDV7958Monograph: Fox, A.. 1996. Prehistoric Hillforts in Devon. Prehistoric Hillforts in Devon. Paperback Volume. 22-3.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4954 - Geophysical Survey at Boringdon Camp, Sparkwell
  • EDV879 - Evaluation excavations in advance of hedgebank removal at BoringdonCcamp, Sparkwell
  • EDV880 - Survey report and survey plan
  • EDV881 - An archaeological assessment of the South Devon spine main: Roborough to Littlehempston
  • EDV884 - Boringdon Camp
  • EDV8098 - The South Devon Coast to Dartmoor Aerial Investigation and Mapping (formerly NMP) Survey, Area 2, Avon Valley to Plymouth (Ref: ACD2040)

Date Last Edited:Oct 3 2019 5:09PM