HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV17592
Name:Rectory and then Inn, Cross Street, Moretonhampstead


Originally a rectory from at least the 17th century, Cross Tree House became an inn in the early 18th century. Originally the London Inn and Tavern 1806 was renamed the Courtenay Arms for a short period. The inn ceased business in the early 19th century when the building passed to a solicitor and became a private dwelling. Current house is thought to be an early 18th century remodelling on previous building.


Grid Reference:SX 754 860
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NE/62
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85058

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (First mentioned, XVI to XVIII - 1600 AD to 1735 AD (Between))
  • INN (Altered, XVII to XIX - 1700 AD to 1809 AD (Between))

Full description

Hughes, G. W. G., 1954, Moretonhampstead, 81-2 (Article in Serial). SDV314001.

The doctor's house on Cross Street was, from 1800 to 1815, the London Inn, later the Courtenay Arms.

Friend, G., 1989, Memories of Moretonhampstead, 87 (Monograph). SDV347146.

Cross Tree House was the location of the London Inn and Tavern in the early 1800s and later in 1806 was named the Courtenay Arms. The inn ceased to exist in 1809 when the keeper, a Mr John Hancock, "from the embarrassment of his affairs is obliged to disappear and left Moreton". The inn had a ladder extending from the wall of the garden to the pollarded elm known as 'The Dancing Tree', in which prisoners of war on parole would form a band of six players and 'perform graceful airs' whilst six couples could dance on the platform within the boughs of the tree.

Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Exact extent of the inn structure unknown but current boundary of Cross Tree House used to digitise polygon.

Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

Note: Glebe terrier of circa 1600 mentions 3 ground floor rooms with 6 chambers above. It remained a rectory up to early C18 and then became the London Inn (renamed Courtenay Arms) for a short period. In early C19 it passed to a solicitor and is still a private house.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV314001Article in Serial: Hughes, G. W. G.. 1954. Moretonhampstead. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 86. Unknown. 81-2.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #82056 ]
SDV347146Monograph: Friend, G.. 1989. Memories of Moretonhampstead. Memories of Moretonhampstead. A4 Hardback. 87.
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV8282Related to: 27 Cross Street, Moretonhampstead (Building)
MDV40264Related to: 31 Cross Tree House, Moretonhampstead (Building)
MDV115323Related to: 38-40 Cross Street, Moretonhampstead (Building)
MDV40263Related to: Garden Walls to east of 31 Cross Street, Moretonhampstead (Monument)
MDV8288Related to: Medieval Cross, Moretonhampstead (Monument)
MDV40269Related to: The Rectory, Cross Street, Moretonhampstead (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Feb 19 2018 10:07AM