HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV18212
Name:Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School

Summary

Built in 1859 to the designs of John Hayward, and one of only a handful of secular buildings by him in the county. The school is typical of his work in the 1860s, scholarly and restrained, and the hall is very complete.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 826 004
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/70
  • Old Listed Building Ref: 387101

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • GRAMMAR SCHOOL (XIX to XXI - 1859 AD to 2012 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

No building shown in this position.


Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, Towns 1855-95 1:500 (Cartographic). SDV348147.

"Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School" marked.


J. F. C., 1926-1927, Crediton Grammar School, 91 (Article in Serial). SDV37071.

The Queen Elizabeth's School, Crediton. Reference in the calendar of patent rolls to its foundation in 1547 by the king as King Edward VI Grammar School. Re-founded by Elizabeth.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Queen Elizabeth Higher School, south range.
School. 1859 to the designs of John Hayward, school opened 1860. Flemish bond brick; Bathstone and Ham Hill dressings; slate roof; stacks with brick shafts and Bathstone quoins. Tudor style.
Plan: Overall E-plan. Central block contains the hall with entrances to left and right; identical double depth masters' houses at either end, each with a central entrance and rear wing.
Exterior: Hall block single storey; masters' houses 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3:5:3 bay front. The 5-bay hall block in the centre has a gable-ended roof (central lantern missing); plinth; coped buttresses with set offs. Coped parapet, gabled over the centre of each bay with a stone shield in each gable. Moulded string below parapet with Tudor style carvings; projecting griffins carved at each corner. 5 Ham Hill 3-light windows with hollow-chamfered mullions and high transoms, glazed with iron casements with glazing bars. Moulded string at sill level is carried out round buttresses. To left and right of the hall there are gateways with chamfered Tudor arches and coped parapets rising as a gable in the centre with a carved shield. The rear elevation has a secondary corridor block. The masters' houses each have stone quoins and 2 coped gables to the front with kneelers; moulded stone string at first floor sill level. Shouldered stacks on the inner returns have quoins and coped caps, stack to left end house rebuilt. Steps up to central 2-centred arched doorway with a hoodmould in the centre; original plank doors with ornamental strap hinges. Original inner doorways with half-glazed doors with a splate finial tot he frame. 4-light mullion and transom stone windows with hoodmoulds to left and right. The first floor has outer 3-light stone mullioned windows with hoodmoulds, 2-light window in the centre, 2 similar 2-light attic windows. The outer returns continue in the same style. The right return is very complete with 5 ground floor windows and 5 first floor windows. Gabled dormer to the left; rear wing gabled to the front to the right. The left return has some 20th century timber windows: 5 ground and 5 first floor windows.
Interior: The hall is very complete with a 5-bay open roof with tie-beam trusses with chamfered arch braces carried on moulded corbels; 2 tiers of purlins; windbraces. 3-light windows to each end. A framed print in the hall shows the inauguration of the school in 1860.
John Hayward of Exeter was the leading local Gothic Revival architect from the 1840s. He worked principally on church restoration and carried out an extensive restoration and repair programme on Crediton parish church in the 1870s. There are only a handful of secular buildings by him in the county. The school is typical of his work in the 1860s, scholarly and restrained.


Brine, M. E., 2013, War Memorials (Website). SDV351333.

Brine refers to the 'Queen Elizabeth Grammar School Roll of Honour 1914-1918', though does not specify whether it is within the school building.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348147Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #82181 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV351333Website: Brine, M. E.. 2013. War Memorials. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website.
SDV37071Article in Serial: J. F. C.. 1926-1927. Crediton Grammar School. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 14. Unknown. 91.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 7 2013 8:36AM