HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV184
Name:All Saints Parish Church, Clovelly

Summary

The parish church is basically 15th and early 16th century in date with a wagon roof, restored in 1843 and again in 1884. However, the porch has a Norman doorway and the font bowl is possibly 13th century in date. The benches are 17th century and the pulpit is dated 1634.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 309 251
Map Sheet:SS32NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishClovelly
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCLOVELLY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5256
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS32NW/63
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 91149
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS32NW4

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Jones, W., 1820, Untitled Source (Un-published). SDV16628.

The collegiate church was to have seven chaplains and provision was made in the licence for a "college and building for their habitation in the rectory". Other details: Early 18th century manuscript.


Oliver, G., 1846, Monasticon Diocesis Exoniensis, 447 (Monograph). SDV57424.


Clarke, K. M., 1919, The Baptismal Fonts of Devon. Part 6, 219-220 (Article in Serial). SDV56166.


Simkin, T. L. V., 1922 - 1923, Hour-Glasses in Churches: Clovelly, 86 (Article in Serial). SDV16627.

A 17th century hour-glass was restored to the church shortly before 1922.


Cresswell, B. F., 1927, Devonshire Churches: The Buildings and Builders, 157 (Article in Serial). SDV124362.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: North Devon, 73-4 (Monograph). SDV336196.

Mainly perpendicular. Evidence of Norman church in the arch moulding of the outer doorway to the south porch. Low west tower is also early medieval, the rest is perpendicular. North aisle and open wagon-roofs.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 370 (Monograph). SDV17562.

All Saints. Almost entirely fifteenth century and early sixteenth century. Norman font, seventeenth century benches, pulpit and mural monuments to the Carys. Some of the windows by Kempe & Comper.


Knowles, D. + Hadcock, R. N., 1971, Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales, 423 (Monograph). SDV323253.

Church dates from around 1300. Saxon font. According to Oliver, a licence for a collegiate church was obtained in 1388, but the foundation was never completed.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1978 - 1997, SS32NW4 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV16631.

Visited 27/11/1978. Mainly Perpendicular, though the tower is earlier, and it has a Norman south doorway. The font is primitive early Norman. There is a sundial over the protch dated 1678. Church in normal use.


Timms, S., 1987, The Archaeology of North Devon Towns, 3 (Un-published). SDV354573.

The parish church is set well away from the centre of the village and the harbour.


Department of Environment, 1989, Clovelly, 34 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV4533.

Church of All Saints.
Anglican parish church. Virtually all 15th- and early 16th cenutry, restored in 1843 and again in 1884. Random and coursed rubble, gabled slate roofs with cruciform finials.
Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, south vestry, west tower, south transept. Perpendicular.
Exterior: 3-stage tower with a crenellated parapet, corner pinnacles, very small square bell-chamber openings, 3-light Perpendicular west window renewed post 1826, Perpendicular west doorway. 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel, on south. 2 and 3-light windows, tracery renewed post 1826, the south-west window of the chancel with tracery renewed in 1843. Perpendicular style 3-light south aisle window of 1905
with glass by Compter. East window to chancel 1884 with glass by Kempe. Vestry with paired reset C14 lancets. Five 2-light windows to north side of the church, again rewewed tracery post 1826. Porch rebuilt in 1843, simple Norman outer door opening with chevron ornament, inside benched on flatstone floor. Perpendicular inner doorway, ribbed door, arch-braced roof with carved bosses.
Interior plastered on polychromatic tile pavements. Continuous nave and chancel under an unceiled wagon roof. North aisle with a similar unceiled wagon roof, also the transept, all 15th cenutry. 4-bay north aisle arcade with depressed 4-centred arch heads, piers of 4-hollows section with simple facetted capitals. Plain semi-circular head to the tower arch; a chamfered semi-circular head doorway to tower stair. Square Norman font with broached corners on a drum base. Detached font bowl to the north-west corner, possibly 13th cenutry, tub with ribs at the corners. Nave and aisle with a full set of 17th cenutry benches some minor later restoration. Pulpit dated 1634, the gift of William
Cary of Clovelly Court. Small Jacobean altar gable in the aisle. Jacobean with a richly carved back. Rich High Victorian Gothic fittings including a recess which may incorporate some earlier carved work, altar rails, choir stalls, lectern dated 1883, organ by Vowles of 1889, base to pulpit renewed 1900, and oil lamps. The interior is rich with memorials including a good series of the 17th cenutry to chancel walls
with Classical columns and achievements to Carys as well as floor slabs, aisle with late 18th cenutry and early 19th cenutry monuments to the Hamlyn family, also nave with monuments and also floor slabs. North chancel window with fragments of glass, possibly early. 4 bells, 1 dated 1708 and 1 dated 1759. Other details: LBS number 91149.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 268-270 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Unknown, 1995, Clovelly Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999, 2 (Un-published). SDV346010.


Collings, A. G. + Weddell, P. J., 2004, Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Clovelly Sewage Treatment Works, 8 (Report - Assessment). SDV336055.


Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J., 2007, The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report (Report - Assessment). SDV339712.


Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J., 2007, The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report, No. 571 (Report - Assessment). SDV339712.

All Saints. Mainly Perpendicular. Saxon font. Evidence of Norman church in the arch moulding of the outer doorway to the south porch. Low west tower is also early medieval. N. Aisle and open wagon-roofs.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.


Historic England, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV358087.

Church of All Saints. Anglican parish church. Virtually all C15 and early C16, restored in 1843 and again in 1884. Random and coursed rubble, gabled slate roofs with cruciform finials. Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, south vestry, west tower, south transept. Perpendicular. Exterior: 3-stage tower with a crenellated parapet, corner pinnacles, very small square bell-chamber openings, 3-light Perpendicular west window renewed post 1826, Perpendicular west doorway. 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel, on south. 2 and 3-light windows, tracery renewed post 1826, the south-west window of the chancel with tracery renewed in 1843. Perpendicular style 3-light south aisle window of 1905 with glass by Compter. East window to chancel 1884 with glass by Kempe. Vestry with paired reset C14 lancets. Five 2-light windows to north side of the church, again rewewed tracery post 1826. Porch rebuilt in 1843, simple Norman outer door opening with chevron ornament, inside benched on flatstone floor. Perpendicular inner doorway, ribbed door, arch-braced roof with carved bosses. Interior plastered on polychromatic tile pavements. Continuous nave and chancel under an unceiled wagon roof. North aisle with a similar unceiled wagon roof, also the transept, all C15. 4-bay north aisle arcade with depressed 4-centred arch heads, piers of 4- hollows section with simple facetted capitals. Plain semi-circular head to the tower arch; a chamfered semi-circular head doorway to tower stair. Square Norman font with broached corners on a drum base. Detached font bowl to the north-west corner, possibly C13, tub with ribs at the corners. Nave and aisle with a full set of C17 benches some minor later restoration. Pulpit dated 1634, the gift of William Cary of Clovelly Court. Small Jacobean altar gable in the aisle. Jacobean with a richly carved back. Rich High Victorian Gothic fittings including a recess which may incorporate some earlier carved work, altar rails, choir stalls, lectern dated 1883, organ by Vowles of 1889, base to pulpit renewed 1900, and oil lamps. The interior is rich with memorials including a good series of the C17 to chancel walls with Classical columns and achievements to Carys as well as floor slabs, aisle with late C18 and early C19 monuments to the Hamlyn family, also nave with monuments and also floor slabs. North chancel window with fragments of glass, possibly early. 4 bells, 1 dated 1708 and 1 dated 1759.


Webb, P., 2016, All Saints Church, Clovelly, Torridge, Devon (Report - Watching Brief). SDV359992.

Historic building recording and archaeological monitoring were undertaken within All Saints Church, Clovelly, Torridge, Devon, during works associated with the laying of a new footpath and restoration work to the roof and tower. The archaeological features comprised a single linear gravel path running approximately north to south from the doorway in the west wall of the church tower to the tarmac path through the churchyard.

Monitoring of the works to the roof was rather ad-hoc, at the time of the first visit the slate had been removed from the entire south facing pitch on the nave and chancel, with the south porch, transept and vestry also stripped. The north facing pitch was not viewed when stripped, but is unlikely to have been added any details. Where the slates were removed from the roof, the ‘torching’, lime and lathes could be seen. The lathes and visible timber etc appeared to all be 19th or 20th century. The top of the wall plate was visible in places , and it was notable the varying thicknesses of the south wall of the transept being 1.05m, whilst the nave was 0.95m thick. The wall plate at the east wall of the chancel was 0.9m thick and a 15th century oak truss was exposed, with a square profile and pegged joints. The timber and plaster between the trusses had failed, and was subsequently repaired. A second set of narrow rafters was exposed, overlying the historic rafters, slightly raising the slate roof.

The roof of the tower was visited before works began to create a photographic record of the existing structure. Inspection revealed the bells had been reset during 19th century restorations and the floor levels of the tower had been adjusted as a result.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV124362Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1927. Devonshire Churches: The Buildings and Builders. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 33. Unknown. 157.
SDV16627Article in Serial: Simkin, T. L. V.. 1922 - 1923. Hour-Glasses in Churches: Clovelly. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 12. Unknown. 86.
SDV16628Un-published: Jones, W.. 1820. A Complete History of All the Religious Houses in the Counties of Devon and. Unknown.
SDV16631Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1978 - 1997. SS32NW4. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 370.
SDV323253Monograph: Knowles, D. + Hadcock, R. N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales. Unknown + Digital (part). 423.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 268-270.
SDV336055Report - Assessment: Collings, A. G. + Weddell, P. J.. 2004. Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Clovelly Sewage Treatment Works. Exeter Archaeology Report. 04.50. A4 Stapled + Digital. 8.
SDV336196Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Paperback Volume. 73-4.
SDV339712Report - Assessment: Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J.. 2007. The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.22 (rev.1). A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV346010Un-published: Unknown. 1995. Clovelly Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999. Torridge District Council and Devon County Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2.
SDV354573Un-published: Timms, S.. 1987. The Archaeology of North Devon Towns. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #82225 ]
SDV358087National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV359992Report - Watching Brief: Webb, P.. 2016. All Saints Church, Clovelly, Torridge, Devon. Southwest Archaeology. CAS16. Digital.
SDV4533List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Clovelly. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 34.
SDV56166Article in Serial: Clarke, K. M.. 1919. The Baptismal Fonts of Devon. Part 6. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 51. Unknown. 219-220.
SDV57424Monograph: Oliver, G.. 1846. Monasticon Diocesis Exoniensis. Monasticon Diocesis Exoniensis. Unknown. 447.

Associated Monuments

MDV4413Parent of: Cary Brasses, Clovelly Parish Church (Find Spot)
MDV163Parent of: Cary Monument in All Saints' Church, Clovelly (Monument)
MDV106633Parent of: Clovelly War Memorial Plaque, All Saints Church (Monument)
MDV164Parent of: Font in All Saints' Church, Clovelly (Monument)
MDV162Parent of: Sundial in All Saints' Church, Clovelly (Monument)
MDV37917Related to: Clovelly Churchyard Wall (Building)
MDV113748Related to: Lych Gate at All Saints' Church, Clovelly (Monument)
MDV37918Related to: Monument to William Shaplin Mawl, All Saints' Churchyard, Clovelly (Building)
MDV17293Related to: Secular College, Clovelly Parish Church (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7172 - Archaeological monitoring and recording at All Saints Church, Clovelly, Torridge, Devon (Ref: CAS16)

Date Last Edited:Dec 8 2017 1:50PM