HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV18704
Name:Lower Mill, Cullompton


Lower Mill is first shown on a map of 1633. Originally a corn mill it was converted to a woollen manufactory in the 19th century, although by the 1880s in was being used for grinding animal feed. The mill last worked in 1968. It has now been converted but retains a waterwheel, installed in 1926, some gearing and two pairs of millstones.


Grid Reference:ST 023 070
Map Sheet:ST00NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCullompton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCULLOMPTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST00NW/39

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WATERMILL (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Lower Mill (Corn)' marked on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.

Phillips, M. C. + Wilson, R. E., 1974 - 1977, Water Mills in East Devon, 83-4 (Article in Serial). SDV42946.

Lower Mill is a water-powered mill to which the earliest reference appears to be to a dispute between the owners of Middle Mills and Lower Mill over the height of the weir and mill leat in mid-19th century. Wooden wheel replaced by iron one in 1926. Converted to drive hammer instead of stones in 1950. Abandoned after 1968.

Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 6, 13 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 51-2 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.

Lower Mill was built in the 1820s and ceased working 1968, and now converted into a dwellling. Described in 1870 as water-powered woollen mill with a steam engine and boiler. In 1926 the wooden wheel was replaced by an iron one. The three storey mill partly brick built with a slate roof and adjoining millers cottage.

Watts, M., 2006, The Cullompton or Town Leat, 1,3 (Un-published). SDV338341.

Lower Mills is shown on a map of 1633 and in 1678 the 'Lower or Southern Milll there called ye Town Mills of Cullompton' are referred to in a lease. The mill has also been known as Luxton's or Hydon's Mills. In 1779, John Luxton insured his dwelling house and adjoining millhouse with waterwheels and going gears there for £170. The buildings are described as being of stone, cob and thatch. A sale notice of 1795 refers to the mils having been lately repaired at considerable expense. In 1802 the mills contained four pairs of millstones and a bunting mill for making fine flour. At some point in the 19th century it appears to have been converted for use as a woollen mill. In the 1880s, however, it was being used for provender milling (animal feed). The present waterwheel was installed in 1926 which drove two pairs of stones through cast iron gearing. The machiney was altered in 1950 when a hammer mill was installed and also a generator. The mill last worked commercially in 1968. It has now been converted but the waterwheel and some of the gearing and millstones remain.

Watts, M., 2016, Water Power in the Lower Culm valley, 243-4, 247 (Article in Serial). SDV363576.

A building is shown on the site of Lower Mill on a map of 1633. The mill is referred to as Town Mills in 1678 and is one of three double mills referred to in a deed of 1700 as ‘those six mills’, the other two being Higher and Middle Mill. In 1795 it is described as a complete set of flour mills, lately repaired. It was converted to a woollen manufactory in the early 19th century. It burnt down sometime before 1844 but was rebuilt as it was advertised to let in 1870. By the 1880s it was producing animal feed. A hammer mill was installed in 1950 and there is also a generator powered by the waterwheel. The mill last worked commercially in 1968. Now partially converted but some machinery including the waterwheel remains.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 6, 13.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 51-2.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338341Un-published: Watts, M.. 2006. The Cullompton or Town Leat. A4 Stapled + Digital. 1,3.
SDV363576Article in Serial: Watts, M.. 2016. Water Power in the Lower Culm valley. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 148. Digital. 243-4, 247.
SDV42946Article in Serial: Phillips, M. C. + Wilson, R. E.. 1974 - 1977. Water Mills in East Devon. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 33. Unknown. 83-4.

Associated Monuments

MDV65780Related to: Cullompton Leat (Monument)
MDV18703Related to: Higher Mill, Cullompton (Monument)
MDV18702Related to: Middle Mill, Cullompton (Monument)
MDV69871Related to: Mill Pond North of Lower Mill (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Oct 18 2023 4:11PM