HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV18723
Name:Limekiln southwest of Mole End at Mill Hill


Limekiln shown on 19th century map to the southwest of Mole End at Mill Hill. Built by 1819, it was probably used until around 1832. Later probable reuse in 1840s when railway was built. Partly demolished after 1850s.


Grid Reference:SX 452 745
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/89/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LIME KILN (Constructed, XIX - 1819 AD to 1819 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 1842, Tavistock (Cartographic). SDV342557.

"Kilns" marked on map of 1842 Tithe Map.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Shown as a small irregular shaped building on 19th century map at Millhill.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Booker, F., 1967, Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley, 80,124,126 (Monograph). SDV240774.

Limekiln at Mill Hill constructed in 1819. It was intended to burn lime brought by the canal boats, but low agricultural prices reduced its success. The kiln can be seen in a garden at the back of an old mill and storehouse now known as The Granary near the former canal basin.

Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 273, figs 8.31, 8.32, 8.33 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Mill Hill Wharf Limekiln
Twin-well kiln that was under construction by 1819. It survives in a very truncated state, due to having been used as a quarry when the Bedford Estate Cottages were built in the 1850s. Plan of the remains from 2005 survey given (fig 8.31) which showed the kiln to have three large draughting and access tunnels, facing forwards onto an unloading platform, the four stoke holes for the two wells were within the tunnels. See publication for full details.
Little is known of the kiln's working history, but it was probably used to supply agricultural lime, rather than for construction. It was probably not used after c.1832, when the Collateral Cut went out of use, although may have been re-used 1844-46, when the Mill Hill Railway was constructed. Abandoned by 1853-54 and partly demolished.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV240774Monograph: Booker, F.. 1967. Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley. Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley. A5 Hardback. 80,124,126.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV342557Cartographic: Unknown. 1842. Tavistock. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 273, figs 8.31, 8.32, 8.33.

Associated Monuments

MDV21607Related to: Canal Basin and Wharf, south of Millhill Quarry (Monument)
MDV21606Related to: Horse Tramway south of Millhill Quarry (Monument)
MDV3958Related to: Limekiln at Millhill Quarry (Monument)
MDV18721Related to: Mill Hill Cut Canal Branch to Millhill Quarry (Monument)
MDV124673Related to: Wharf Keepers house, Mill Hill Wharf (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV1445 - Lower Tamar Valley Heritage Appraisal: Artiscombe Farm

Date Last Edited:Jan 17 2019 3:10PM