HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV18818
Name:Manor of Okehampton

Summary

The earliest reference to Okehampton is as 'Ocmundtune' in circa AD970. The manor is recorded as 'Ochenemitona' in Domesday Book at which time it had a castle, market, mill and four burgesses.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 583 942
Map Sheet:SX59SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishOkehampton Hamlets
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishOKEHAMPTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX59SE/7/5

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR (VIII to Late Medieval - 701 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV243586.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/28(1890)466/the domesday hundreds: listone.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV243587.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/46(1914)192-193/the hundere of lifton at the time of testa de nevil, 1243.


REICHEL, 1914, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV2639.

Domesday manor of ochememitona. Held by baldwin the sheriff in demesne. Held by osfers in the time of king edward (reichel, 1896). Manor of okehampton at the time of testa de nevil held by john de curtenay, in lordshia as the head place of his baronry (reichel, 1914).


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 151-164 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

A Saxon settlement in the vicinity of Okehampton is suggested by a reference to 'Ocmundtune' circa AD970 as a place for the freeing of slaves. The town is recorded as 'Ochenemitona' in Domesday Book at which time Baldwin, Sherriff of Devon was Lord of the Manor which included a castle, market, mill and four burgesses. Thirty one villeins are also recorded and it is suggested that these probably occupied individual holdings within the limits of the manor and that evidence of a dispersed settlement pattern can still be recognised in the isolated farmsteads in the parish. The manor became the property of the Courtenay family in the late 12th century and they retained possession until 1539. A fair was granted in 1221 and the liberties of the borough, which had been established in the 12th century, were also affirmed about this time. The town's development, however, was hindered by its isolated and inland location and also by the fact that its hinterland was located on the poor quality 'culm measures'. Following the fall of the Courtenay family in 1539 the town moved towards self-government which was recognised by a charter of incorporation in 1623. A proposed canal link-up unfortunately came to nothing but the town remained active in the woollen cloth industry into the early 19th century. Travellers to the town, however, found it to be 'damp and dull'.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV243586Migrated Record:
SDV243587Migrated Record:
SDV2639Migrated Record: REICHEL, 1914.
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 151-164.

Associated Monuments

MDV21798Related to: Borough of Okehampton (Monument)
MDV4806Related to: Deserted Medieval Settlements, Sites 52-59, at Okehampton (Monument)
MDV14326Related to: Okehampton Castle (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV3474 - Earthwork survey of Okehampton Castle and Park

Date Last Edited:Jan 30 2015 8:47AM