HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1889
Name:Culmstock Bridge

Summary

Medieval bridge that was much rebuilt after being badly damaged by floods in 1774, and with subsequent 20th century alterations and repairs. Built of local limestone rubble with five arches of different spans and heights.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 101 137
Map Sheet:ST11SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCulmstock
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCULMSTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST11SW/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ROAD BRIDGE (Built, Early Medieval to XVIII - 1066 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57502.

Culmstock bridge. Os 6" xlvii nw.


WARDILL, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV57503.

Vis=22/5/1950 (wardill) henderson and jervoise describe this bridge as follows: "culmstock bridge has five stone arches, three about 20ft. And two of 16ft. Span. It carries a roadway 10ft. In width but there are recesses over two of the cut-waters on the downstream side. A bequest of twenty shillings was made in 1412 for the repair of the bridge and the question of maintenance was brought before the sessions in 1670. According to polwhele one of its three arches was carried away by flood in 1774 and two arches were built in its place, and two additional ones were also made, bringing the total number to five". This should make six arches and in fact there are six, but one is now a flood arch with a flat head which seems to have been rebuilt in more recent years. There seems little doubt as to the medieval origin of the bridge but most of present arches appear to be late 18th. Century. Condition good. Listed in bishops stafford register of 1412 as having been repaired.


AM, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57507.

Formerly scheduled under dv290. Descheduled july 2002 under sm91318 (am).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57508.

Henderson, c. + jervoise, e. /old devon bridges/(1938)54.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57509.

Osa=st11sw(m).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57510.

Chope, r. P. /dcnq/14(1926-1927)95/early bridges.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57511.

Doe/hhr:culmstock(17/3/1988)47.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57512.

Nmr=st11sw12.


Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV57513.

Aph=dap/uh 1-9(15/5/1991).


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Vis=16/10/1975 (os) existing bridge appears to be post-medieval construction, of stone with five arches, cut-waters and road recesses four on the east side and three on the west.


Chope, R. P., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33437.

Bequest made by bishop stafford in 1412 for the repair of the bridge (chope).


Robinson, R., 1983, List of Field Monument Warden Visits 1983 (Un-published). SDV345762.

Department of Environment Field Monument Warden site visit on 1st March 1983


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Marked as Culmstock Bridge.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1147741 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Culmstock Bridge. Road bridge over the River Culm. Medieval origins; much rebuilt after severe flood damage in 1774; C20 alterations and repairs. Local limestone rubble including dressed voussoirs and blocks used for the piers and cutwaters. 6-span bridge. The southernmost arch has been replaced by flat concrete lintel in the C20. The other 5 are segmental arches of different spans and heights. The piers project both sides with pointed cutwaters and some are continued up to the parapet to provide refuges, 3 upstream (east) and 2 downstream (west). Rubble parapet with rounded ashlar coping. This has been replaced with railings over the C20 arch. The road ramps over the bridge but the highest point is north of centre. According to Polwhele one arch was completely swept away in the 1774 flood and was replaced by 2. Thus there were originally 5 arches and are now 6. Its medieval origins are indicated by a bequest for repairs made in 1412.
Source: C. Henderson and E. Jervoise Old Devon Bridges (1938) p.54.
Date first listed: 24th October 1951

Sources / Further Reading

SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV33437Migrated Record: Chope, R. P..
SDV345762Un-published: Robinson, R.. 1983. List of Field Monument Warden Visits 1983. Lists of Field Monument Warden Visits. Printout.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #113595 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1147741.
SDV57502Migrated Record:
SDV57503Report - Survey: WARDILL.
SDV57507Migrated Record: AM.
SDV57508Migrated Record:
SDV57509Migrated Record:
SDV57510Migrated Record:
SDV57511Migrated Record:
SDV57512Migrated Record:
SDV57513Aerial Photograph:

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 3 2018 3:50PM