HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV18917
Name:Clarence Wharf

Summary

Clarence Wharf, one of several wharves to the north of Bideford Bridge at East The Water, and shown on mid 19th century maps.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 457 265
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/57

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WHARF (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Wood, J., 1842, Plan of the Town of Bideford (Cartographic). SDV342513.

'Hy Tucker's Clarence Wharf' marked.


Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Clarence Wharf' marked.


Boyle, V. C., 1954-1955, Scantle Roofs, 10-12 (Article in Serial). SDV349788.

Probable site of Clarence Wharf, a former shipyard. The date 1821 is cut into one of the walls. The slate roof is described as a "scantle roof", the type of construction of this roof is described.


Pye, A. R., 1989, Bideford Waterfront Tidal Defence Scheme. An Archaeological Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV15239.

East-the-Water was mentioned in 16th century as a place occupied by shipsmiths.


Ferguson, P., 1992, Driving the Devil from the Mary Ann, 11-13 (Article in Serial). SDV349787.

Shipyard owned by Henry Tucker, master shipbuilder, during the early 19th century.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Clarence Wharf has been extended during the 20th century.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15239Report - Assessment: Pye, A. R.. 1989. Bideford Waterfront Tidal Defence Scheme. An Archaeological Assessment. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 89.13. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV342513Cartographic: Wood, J.. 1842. Plan of the Town of Bideford. Photocopy + Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #82374 ]
SDV349787Article in Serial: Ferguson, P.. 1992. Driving the Devil from the Mary Ann. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. A5 Paperback. 11-13.
SDV349788Article in Serial: Boyle, V. C.. 1954-1955. Scantle Roofs. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 26. Unknown. 10-12.

Associated Monuments

MDV43290Part of: Wharves at Bideford East The Water (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 3 2014 8:26AM