HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV19139
Name:Former Prison Blocks, St Andrew's Street, Tiverton

Summary

Former prison blocks adjoining east end of police station, built in 1846 and demolished in 1978. Site now part of a residential development.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 954 122
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/43/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PRISON (XIX - 1844 AD to 1846 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, Untitled Source (Ground Photograph). SDV349040.

Other details: Film 368.


Timms, S. C., 1882 - 1982, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV349047.

Prison blocks attached to rear (east) and north and south sides of police station were demolished in 1978 as part of Devon Historic Building Trust's scheme to convert police station into residences. Some record was made of cell blocks by a mixture of Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology, the District Council and others with grant aid from the National Monuments Record. See Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology files for details.


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 40 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

Built in 1846 on site of an older Bridewell.


Devon County Council, 1975, Tiverton Town Trails, 66 (Article in Monograph). SDV352466.


Edginton, C., 1976, Tiverton's Industrial Archaeology, 27 (Monograph). SDV46908.

In use until 1879 when prison yard was converted into public baths.


S.W + M.K., 1977, Tiverton Gaol, St Andrew's Street, Tiverton (Plan - measured). SDV349048.

Other details: Drawings TG/1-3/77.


Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology, 1977, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV349046.

Site visited on 15th July 1977 by Silvester and Laithwaite: extensive cell blocks in fair condition despite vandalism.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Buildings now named Bridewell House.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV349040Ground Photograph: Devon County Council. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. Photograph (Paper).
SDV349046Personal Comment: Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology. 1977.
SDV349047Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. 1882 - 1982.
SDV349048Plan - measured: S.W + M.K.. 1977. Tiverton Gaol, St Andrew's Street, Tiverton. Architect's Drawings. A1 Folded + Digital.
SDV352466Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tiverton Town Trails. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 66.
SDV46908Monograph: Edginton, C.. 1976. Tiverton's Industrial Archaeology. Tiverton's Industrial Archaeology. Unknown. 27.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 40.

Associated Monuments

MDV19138Related to: Former Police Station, St Andrew's Street, Tiverton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 19 2015 11:31AM