HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1942
Name:Chapplecroft Farmhouse, Chapplecroft Farm

Summary

The farmhouse is shown on the Ordnance Survey 25 inch map of the 1880s-1890s.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 289 026
Map Sheet:ST20SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMembury
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEMBURY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST20SE/15

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Early Medieval to XIV - 1066 AD to 1400 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV111330.

Osa=st20se8.


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

The farmhouse is depicted.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The farmhouse is shown on the Ordnance Survey 25 inch map of the 1880s-1890s.


Langdon, F. E. W., 1907, The Church of Membury, 142 (Article in Serial). SDV337303.

Chapplecroft or, as it is locally called, Chipplecrat, a farmhouse occupies the site of a chapel licensed for divine service by Bishop Grandisson in 1352. The days specified are June 24th and August 29th, being the nativity and beheading of St. John the Baptist. In the register the name is sometimes spelt correctly Chapel Croft. It is within the manor of East Membury.


Wilkin, W. H., 1927, Chapplecroft Farm (Site Visit). SDV351994.

A visit was undertaken by Wilkin in 1927. Brinscombe, Chapelcroft, and East Membury are adjoining farms and were probably one property called Brinscombe, and suggest that was once the name of the manor house of East Membury which probably stood on the site of the Chapelcroft.


Wilkin, W. H., 1928, Notes on Membury. Part 3, 174-175 (Article in Serial). SDV337300.

Brinscombe Farm in the manor of East Membury. A chapel was licensed by Bishop Lacy on 22nd September 1425. Presumably the site of the Chapel was at Chapelcroft (noted by Reichel).

Brinscombe, Chapelcroft and East Membury are now adjoining farms but were probably originally one property, called Brinscombe and the original house stood on the site of Chapelcroft.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH143H (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

No information supplied.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV111330Migrated Record:
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337300Article in Serial: Wilkin, W. H.. 1928. Notes on Membury. Part 3. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 60. A5 Hardback. 174-175.
SDV337303Article in Serial: Langdon, F. E. W.. 1907. The Church of Membury. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 39. A5 Hardback. 142.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH143H.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #82501 ]
SDV351994Site Visit: Wilkin, W. H.. 1927. Chapplecroft Farm. Unknown.

Associated Monuments

MDV104773Part of: Chapplecroft Farm (Monument)
MDV58026Related to: Chapel, Chapplecroft Farm (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 21 2013 10:46AM