HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV19595
Name:Lundy, North Lighthouse

Summary

Lighthouse built in circa 1897, at the same time as the South Lighthouse.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 130 481
Map Sheet:SS14NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLundy
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishLUNDY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS14NW/71
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LIGHTHOUSE (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Blackwell, A. E., 1959 - 1961, Mortehoe Notes, 318 (Article in Serial). SDV86748.

Lighthouse at the north end of Lundy island. Flashes twice every two minutes and is equipped with a foghorn.


Langham, M., 1986, The Heaven Family of Lundy, 93-121 (Article in Serial). SDV730.

New lighthouses begun 1895 and finished 1896.


Griffith, F. M., 1987, IT 7, 7a (Aerial Photograph). SDV337665.


National Trust, 1989, Lundy, Devon. Vol. One, 36 (Report - Survey). SDV1275.

Built by Trinity House c.1897 at the same time as the South Light (MID19596) when the old light (MID 31) was abandoned. Built of granite from old quarries. Stands 165ft above high water. Now automatic. Long flight of steps down from north end plateau to level where lighthouse stands. Other details: 101,059.


Department of Environment, 1991, Lundy, 3 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV7171.

Lighthouse 1897. Granite rendered and blocked out. Squat circulat tower, tapered with large moulded cornice, iron balustrade and large lantern with lattice glazing and dome. Small rectangular windows. Small tablet bearing trinity house arms on S side. Doorway into passageway which ramps up to rectangular accommodation block at S end on higher level. This has stepped cornice and blocking course which continues to porch on S side. Built-in passage links lighthouse to single-storey square engine house on seaward (N) side, which has a late c20 extension. Unmanned since 1978 and controlled from s lighthouse.


Robertson, P., 1995, Marine Archaeology and Lundy Marine Nature Reserve: An Assessment for English Nature and the Landmark Trust, 3 (Report - non-specific). SDV349969.


National Trust, 2002, The Archaeology and Landscape of Lundy: A Field Guide (Monograph). SDV7235.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1275Report - Survey: National Trust. 1989. Lundy, Devon. Vol. One. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. 1. A4 Stapled + Digital. 36.
SDV337665Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1987. IT 7, 7a. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper).
SDV349969Report - non-specific: Robertson, P.. 1995. Marine Archaeology and Lundy Marine Nature Reserve: An Assessment for English Nature and the Landmark Trust. A4 Grip Bound + Digital. 3.
SDV7171List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1991. Lundy. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 3.
SDV7235Monograph: National Trust. 2002. The Archaeology and Landscape of Lundy: A Field Guide. The Archaeology and Landscape of Lundy: A Field Guide. A5 Paperback.
SDV730Article in Serial: Langham, M.. 1986. The Heaven Family of Lundy. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 118. Unknown. 93-121.
SDV86748Article in Serial: Blackwell, A. E.. 1959 - 1961. Mortehoe Notes. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 28. Unknown. 318.

Associated Monuments

MDV19596Related to: Lundy, South Lighthouse (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 11 2014 11:34AM