HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV19670
Name:Lake Farmhouse at Poundsgate

Summary

Lake farmhouse at Poundsgate was built in the 16th century with four later phases of alterations

Location

Grid Reference:SX 704 723
Map Sheet:SX77SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWidecombe in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDECOMBE IN THE MOOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SW/64
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 441959

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Late Medieval - 1401 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 1843, Widecombe in the Moor (Cartographic). SDV290272.

House, court, etc shown on Field Number 2056.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Lake' shown on 19th century map as group of buildings along two sides of a triangular yard.


Department of Environment, 1952, Newton Abbot RD, 110 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV304573.

Lake farmhouse. 17th century or earlier granite with hipped thatch roof. Wide central wing in front with round headed doorway dated 1661. Two semi- circular staircase projections at rear, one is of granite, the other of oak which opens on to kitchen. Kitchen has large ceiling beams and wide open hearth.


Hicks, C. E., 1960, 64th Report of Scientific Memoranda: Farming (Article in Serial). SDV345009.

A gag for drenching horses was found at Lake.


Minchinton, W., 1968 - 1970, History from the Farm, 258-9 (Article in Serial). SDV345008.

Discussion of "history from the farm".


Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H., 1979, An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish, 403 (Report - Survey). SDV337078.

Visited on 15th June 1979. Good example of a longhouse, date over the porch 1661. Thatched, in good repair. Shippon unchanged.


Cox, J. + Thorp, J. R. L., 2003, Lake, Poundsgate (Report - Assessment). SDV345012.

Lake is a Late Medieval longhouse to the north of Poundsgate. It is of a three-room and cross-passage plan with a shippon and a small two-bay calves' house at the north end.. It is built of local granite rubble. A large two-storey 17th century porch shelters the front doorway of the cross-passage. There are two newel stairs set in turrets at the rear of the building. Four phases of construction have been identified.


Pidgeon, J. R., 2005, Lake, Poundsgate: Revised Historical and Archaeological Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV345010.

Amendments to Listed Building Consents sought concerning the fenestration of the east front elevation and the hall/parlour screen. Lake was first mentioned in 1303 with the next reference being in 1780. Five building phases were identified
Phase 1: the earliest Medieval part of the building is the straight part of the long rear western wall adjoining the parlour, hall, dairy and the upper third of the shippon. The Medieval longhouse was of a standard fashion with a cross-passage just to the south of the later passage and the position of the front entrance later occupied by the central fireplace chimney stack and the rear by the central stair turret with a jettied solar.
Phase 2: in 1661 the rear Medival wall was pierced by the insertion of a stair turret and doorway and a large central chimney stack was added. A porch was added and the hall ceiling was replaced.
Phase 3: the 19th century saw the development of the house part of Lake into the present building. The shippon was extended and the porch was built probably incorporating dressed stone from the 17th century porch.
Phase 4: from 1845-1886 the south-west stair turret was added and the porch side room was altered.
Phase 5: post 1909 the first floor fireplace and the porch side room door were blocked and the roof was replaced.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Lake farmhouse Listed on 23rd August 1955 built in the late 16th or early 17th century and altered in 1661. Constructed of granite rubble under a thatched roof; shippons to right covered with corrugated iron. Granite chimneystack (heating former hall) on ridge, with weatherings, one of them inside the roofspace as a result of raising the roof; added red brick shaft on top. 18th or 19th century granite stack in right-hand gable wall. Plan has two rooms to left of cross-passage, these having a second cross-passage between them. Two storeyed entrance-porch to main cross-passage, this having a small room built into the left-hand side. Rounded stair turret at rear of each room. To right of main cross-passage is a small unheated room with two shippons beyond; although this room is divided from the shippons by a solid wall only in the ground storey, there is no evidence of former doorway between them. Five windows wide with 19th century wood casements, mostly with glazing-bars. Porch in fourth bay from left has round-arched doorway of carved granite with three-quarter round moulding and primitive raised decoration in the spandrels, these carrying the initials TH and date 1661. To left of doorway a small rectangular window with hollow-moulded granite surround. Inner doorway has chamfered stone surround with cranked head. Shippon has two doorways with plank doors having old wrought-iron strap hinges. One small unglazed window between them. Right-hand gable has plank door to loft with wrought iron strap hinges. Slit window below it and two more in rear wall.
Interior has lightly-chamfered upper floor beams, the former hall with chamfered and stopped joists. Hall fireplace backs on to passage; heavy wooden lintel and oven having stone-framed opening with arched head. Left-hand staircase has winding stone steps. The two shippons, separated from each other by a stone wall on the ground storey, both have central drains, the left-hand shippon has stones defining a feeding trough along the front and back walls; some of the stones seem to have shallow holes on top for tethering posts. Roofs all rebuilt in softwood in the late 19th or early 20th century.
Lake formerly contained panelling believed to have come from Spitchwick Chapel; this is now at Sandridge in Stoke Gabriel parish. Other details: LBS Number 441959.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV290272Cartographic: Unknown. 1843. Widecombe in the Moor. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV304573List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1952. Newton Abbot RD. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 110.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337078Report - Survey: Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H.. 1979. An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. Vols I - V. A4 Comb Bound. 403.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #82560 ]
SDV345008Article in Serial: Minchinton, W.. 1968 - 1970. History from the Farm. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 31. Unknown. 258-9.
SDV345009Article in Serial: Hicks, C. E.. 1960. 64th Report of Scientific Memoranda: Farming. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 92. A5 Hardback.
SDV345010Report - Assessment: Pidgeon, J. R.. 2005. Lake, Poundsgate: Revised Historical and Archaeological Assessment. A4 Grip Bound.
SDV345012Report - Assessment: Cox, J. + Thorp, J. R. L.. 2003. Lake, Poundsgate. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K682. A4 Spiral Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV112938Part of: Lake Farmstead, Widecombe in the Moor (Monument)
MDV8037Related to: FINDSPOT in the Parish of Widecombe in the Moor (Find Spot)
MDV106407Related to: Threshing barn and stables at Lake Farm, Poundsgate (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4871 - Building Survey at Lake in Poundsgate
  • EDV4872 - Building Survey at Lake in Poundsgate

Date Last Edited:Jun 13 2016 3:03PM