HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV19795
Name:Former Blue Coat School, Great Torrington


School house built in 1834 on the site of the former Great Torrington castle chapel which was converted to a school in the 17th century. More recently known as Barley Grove School.


Grid Reference:SS 496 189
Map Sheet:SS41NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGreat Torrington
Ecclesiastical ParishGREAT TORRINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS41NE/74
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 90444

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX - 1834 AD to 1834 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1973, Great Torrington, 4 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV2214.

Barley Grove School. 1834 with alterations and additions. The castle chapel, on or near this site, was converted into a school in 17th century. The present building carries a tablet commemorating its erection in 1834 by Lord Rolle as a School House for the poor of the parish. Two storey, grit rendered. Six windows with glazing bars, mainly sash windows.

Timms, S. C., 1978-1982, Great Torrington Development Control Consultations (Un-published). SDV346386.

Blue Coat School. Visited 5th December 1979 by Pam Egeland. Other details: Photo 388 19a.

Higham, R. A. + Goddard, S., 1987, Great Torrington Castle (Article in Serial). SDV11501.

The castle chapel of St James was converted into a school in the 17th century which was then demolished in 1780 and replaced by a new school in 1834.

Great Torrington District Chamber Of Commerce, 1987, Torrington Town Trail (Leaflet). SDV19224.

The castle chapel was converted into a school in the 17th century. Subsequent expansion and restoration by Lord Rolle in 1834 is commemorated by a tablet on the present building, now the Eric Palmer Community Centre.

Evans, P. + McConnell, 2010, Sydney House Car Park, South Street, Great Torrington, Devon: An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment, 7 (Report - Assessment). SDV354455.

Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV11501Article in Serial: Higham, R. A. + Goddard, S.. 1987. Great Torrington Castle. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 45. Paperback Volume.
SDV19224Leaflet: Great Torrington District Chamber Of Commerce. 1987. Torrington Town Trail. Photocopy + Digital.
SDV2214List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1973. Great Torrington. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 4.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #82603 ]
SDV346386Un-published: Timms, S. C.. 1978-1982. Great Torrington Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. A4 Unbound.
SDV354455Report - Assessment: Evans, P. + McConnell. 2010. Sydney House Car Park, South Street, Great Torrington, Devon: An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment. Context One Archaeological Services Report. COAS/DBA/10/SGT. A4 Stapled + Digital. 7.

Associated Monuments

MDV13834Related to: Great Torrington, Castle Chapel (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Apr 30 2015 10:38AM