HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV20687
Name:4 and 4a Bridgeland Street

Summary

Very good two storey house of circa 1690 with probably late 18th century stucco finish and Tuscan doorcase and circa 1930 shop front. Interior retains 17th century staircase and plaster ceiling.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 454 268
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/100
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII to XVIII - 1690 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 19/03/1973, Bideford, 11 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV341487.

4 and 4a, Bridgeland Street. Very good two storey house of circa 1690. Richardson and Gill illustrate it before shopfront was inserted. First floor sash windows have exposed frames and thick glazing bars. Massive brick chimneys with recessed panels. Eaves cornice, old rain water pipes. Rusticated stucco finish and tuscan doorcase probably late 18th century. Interior has wide staircase with twisted balusters. House attributed to Nathaniel Gascoyne.


Richardson, A. E. + Gill, C. L., 1924, Untitled Source, Plate (Monograph). SDV4976.


Egeland, P. + Richardson, D. F. L., 1974 - 1975, Development Control Consultations (Un-published). SDV346579.

Evidently the ground floor of the original house was converted into two shops (on either side of the original door opening), with the intention of retaining the appearance of one building, as the detailing on the shops' fronts as exisitng is identical. The present shop front probably dates from about 1930.


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 92 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


Timms, S. C., Unknown, Untitled Source, Film 397 in Conservation Section collection (Personal Comment). SDV4977.

House was repaired under Bideford Town Scheme in 1980/81. Brick stacks were rebuilt. Seventeenth century staircase still survives as does 17th century ribbed plaster ceiling in right first floor room. One of the original 17th century Bridgeland Street houses.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 92.
SDV341487List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 19/03/1973. Bideford. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 11.
SDV346579Un-published: Egeland, P. + Richardson, D. F. L.. 1974 - 1975. Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #82872 ]
SDV4976Monograph: Richardson, A. E. + Gill, C. L.. 1924. Regional Architecture of the West of Englsand. Unknown. Plate.
SDV4977Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. Unknown. Film 397 in Conservation Section collection.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 22 2015 12:44PM