HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV20715
Name:Stanlake Farmstead, Walkhampton

Summary

Stanlake farmstead shown on 19th century maps and mentioned from the 13th century

Location

Grid Reference:SX 569 709
Map Sheet:SX57SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWalkhampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57SE/200
  • Old SAM Ref: 24105
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XIII - 1250 AD to 1281 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source, MPP 152454 (Migrated Record). SDV274426.

Stanlake farmstead, 930 metres south-west of Black Tor.


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

'Stenlake' shown on 19th century Tithe map as a group of buildings and small enclosures on an irregular shaped yard. The Apportionment for 'Stenlake' lists Field Number 878 as 'Courts Houses and Mowhay' and the four or five small enclosures listed as Field Number 879 are 'Gardens'.


Ordnance Survey, 1880 - 1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Stanlake' shown on 19th century map as a group of buildings and small enclosures between the Devonport Leat and the River Meavy.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Stanlake' shown on early 20th century map.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 246 (Monograph). SDV1312.

'Stanlake' was mentioned as 'Stenylak' in 1281 and 1340 and later as 'Stenelake'.


Royal Air Force, 1946 - 1949, Royal Air Force Aerial Photographs, 2149/4440 (Aerial Photograph). SDV342938.

Photograph taken on 11th July 1947.


Haynes, R. G., 1966-1969, Ruined Sites on Dartmoor, 131-2 (Un-published). SDV150434.

Site visitd 0n 12th January 1967. A farm abandoned in 1922 and though ruined, it is in fair condition. Approached from the Yelverton-Princetown road by a sunken lane. The dwelling house has two rooms on the ground floor, with fireplace and staircase in the thickness of the wall. Several outhouses visible and others have been recently destroyed. The Devonport Leat was tapped for water supply.


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Interpretation). SDV319854.

Visible on aerial photographs.


Hemery, E., 1986, Walking the Dartmoor Waterways (Monograph). SDV269544.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset. (Report - Survey). SDV277946.


Gerrard, S., 1993-2002, Monument Protection Programme Alternative Action Report (Report - non-specific). SDV145710.


Newman, P., 1994, Tinners and Tenants on South-West Dartmoor: a case study in landscape history, 199-238 (Article in Serial). SDV340414.


Rendell, P., 1995, One by one they left the valley - 100 years of Burrator, 21 (Article in Serial). SDV359397.


Gerrard, S., 1997, Stanlake Farmstead, 8 (Article in Serial). SDV257268.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads, Stanlake (Un-published). SDV352501.

Stenlake deserted farmstead with a longhouse.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Stanlake farmstead shown on modern mapping. Map object based on this source.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England, 1019586 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

Stanlake farmstead 930 metre south-west of Black Tor. The monument includes an historic farmstead situated on a gentle east facing slope overlooking the valley of the River Meavy. The earliest components of the site are two longhouses built across the prevailing slope. Both survive as rectangular earthworks to which later structures have been added. The northern longhouse sits within a substantial scoop and measures 14.5 metres long by 4.3 metres wide. A later outbuilding of drystone construction occupies the western half of this longhouse. The southern longhouse measures 16 metres by 4.4 metres and at its western end are two clearly defined recesses which represent cupboards. Two rectangular earthworks on the southern side of the building and another to the east probably represent outshuts. The two longhouses were replaced by two other dwelling houses in the early Post-medieval period. The eastern of these survives as a rectangular structure measuring 8.6 metres by 4.4 metres internally and is defined by drystone walls standing up to 1.9 metres high. The presence of a round stairwell built within the north-west corner and a substantial fireplace within the western wall confirm its domestic status. The interior of this building is filled with loose rubble, but appears to be on two separate levels. The western part of the building lies on a platform above the remainder of the interior. The edge between the parts is denoted by a 0.6 metres high drystone revetment which leads to the western edge of the doorway. It is not known whether this revetment represents an original division or whether it was added when the building was later converted to a barn. The doorway into this house faces south and had a porch or wind break. The second early Post-medieval dwelling measures 7.8 metres by 4.6 metres and is defined by a drystone wall standing up to 1.4 metres high. A fireplace built into the western wall survives as a 0.9 metres wide and 0.65 metres deep recess denoted on the northern side by a substantial 0.8 metres high orthostat. Both of the early Post-medieval farmhouses were replaced by a more substantial building of 19th century date. This building was levelled sometime between 1952 and 1967, although slight earthworks still denote its position. A range of small buildings survive within the farmstead and these represent the sites of barns and sheds of Post-medieval date. Towards the eastern edge of the farmstead are a group of at least seven upright stones. These are staddle stones on top of which a hay rick would have been built. The stones were designed to keep the hay or straw off the ground, keeping it dry and reducing the opportunities for rodents to infest it. At least eight enclosed yards or gardens survive within the farmstead. Some of these are denoted by substantial banks, clearly designed to control livestock. A leat leading from the nearby Devonport Leat would have supplied water to the settlement through much of the 19th century. In earlier times water may have been collected from the nearby stream. The earliest documentary reference to Stanlake is in 1281 and from this time onwards there are numerous references up until the 1920s when the settlement was abandoned. The documentation indicates that for much of this time there were two separate farms with different land holdings sharing the same farmstead.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 246.
  • Report - non-specific: Gerrard, S.. 1993-2002. Monument Protection Programme Alternative Action Report. English Heritage. Unknown.
  • Un-published: Haynes, R. G.. 1966-1969. Ruined Sites on Dartmoor. Ruined Sites on Dartmoor. Manuscript + Digital. 131-2.
  • Article in Serial: Gerrard, S.. 1997. Stanlake Farmstead. Meavy Valley Archaeology. 2. Paperback Volume. 8.
  • Monograph: Hemery, E.. 1986. Walking the Dartmoor Waterways. Walking the Dartmoor Waterways. Unknown.
  • Migrated Record: MPP 152454.
  • Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital.
  • Interpretation: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880 - 1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
  • Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1994. Tinners and Tenants on South-West Dartmoor: a case study in landscape history. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 126. A5 Paperback. 199-238.
  • Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 - 1949. Royal Air Force Aerial Photographs. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Digital). 2149/4440.
  • Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
  • Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet. Stanlake.
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
  • National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1019586.
  • Article in Serial: Rendell, P.. 1995. One by one they left the valley - 100 years of Burrator. The Dartmoor Newsletter. 24. 21.

Associated Monuments

MDV61991Parent of: Gardens and yards within Stanlake Farmstead (Park/Garden)
MDV57155Parent of: Longhouse at Stanlake Farmstead, Walkhampton (Building)
MDV57152Parent of: Stanlake Farmhouse, Walkhampton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7519 - Survey of Stanlake Farmstead

Date Last Edited:Jun 12 2018 4:18PM