HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2123
Name:Churchyard Cross in Down St Mary

Summary

Medieval churchyard cross to the west of St Mary's parish church in Down St Mary

Location

Grid Reference:SS 742 044
Map Sheet:SS70SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDown St. Mary
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishDOWN ST.MARY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 34866
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS70SW/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 441993
  • Old SAM Ref: 27321
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS70SW4

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (XIII to XV - 1300 AD to 1500 AD (Between))

Full description

Kestell-Cornish, 1902-1903, The Bow-Down St Mary Cross, 107 (Article in Serial). SDV345935.

Short article on the removal of the cross to Down St Mary church.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1938, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part II, 320 (Article in Serial). SDV6308.

Cross in the churchyard. Type C. A modern socket-stone, square at the base and chamfered to an octagon above, supporting an ancient cross, rectangular at the base with pointed spurs, and with hollow chamfered edges higher up. Shaft and arms are straight. The cross is said to have been found as a paving stone near Bow, whence it was taken to 'St Olave's', Murchington, near Chagford, residence of the rector of Down St Mary. After his death it was removed to the churchyard. Chudleigh ('Devonshire Antiquities' 1893) has an illustration of this cross as it stood against a wall at Murchington, showing a square tenon at the lower end of the shaft.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1952 - 1970, SS70SW4 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV345925.

Remains of two stone crosses at Down St Mary.
Cross A: at SS74270445 is a granite Latin cross in a modern socket. A note in the church says that this cross was found in the river at Chagford and brought to the church at the end of the 19th century. The cross is also said to have been used as a paving stone at Bow. Other details: Cross A.


Department of Environment, 1986, Down St Mary, 115 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV345932.

Churchyard cross. Probably 15th century on circa 1900 base. Granite. Plain cross made from a single piece of granite approximately 1.7 metres high. It is crudely carved and the stem is not straight. The edges of the stem, the short arms and top have hollow-chamfered edges and there are remains of pyramid stops at the bottom. Cross is set on granite socket stone of circa 1900 with shouldered corners. Cross was erected here by the Right Revd Bishop Kestell-Cornish when rector died (1897-1909). It was discovered being used as a paving stone in Bow village.


Gerrard, H., 1994, 139521 (Un-published). SDV345936.

Churchyard cross and modern socket stone 12 metres west of church tower beneath a large yew tree. It is one of two ancient crosses in the churchyard, the other situated approximately 50 metres to the south-east.


1994, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV345938.

Other details: Taken by H Gerrard.


Department of Environment, 1995, Churchyard Cross 12 metres west of Down St Mary Church Tower (Schedule Document). SDV345937.

Churchyard cross 12 metres west of Down St Mary church tower. It is one of two ancient crosses in the churchyard, the other is situated approximately 30 metres to the south-east. The modern socket stone measures 0.68 metres square at the base, is chamfered and octagonal above. The length of each side of the octagon is 0.32 metres. It is 0.31 metres high and thought to date to around 1900. The cross is made from a single piece of granite; it is crudely carved and the shaft is not straight. It is rectangular at the base. The length of the long side north to south is 0.3 metres and the short side east to west is 0.2 metres. There are pyramid stops above which the cross becomes octagonal. It measures 0.57 metres wide at the arms, which are asymmetrical. The head is also intact and the overall height of the cross is 1.74 metres. The cross is said to have been found used as a paving stone near Bow and was taken to St Olave's, Murchington, near Chagford, the residence of the rector of Down St Mary. After his death it was removed to the churchyard. It was re-erected here by the Right Reverend Bishop Kestall-Cornish when he was the ector (1897 - 1909). Although not in its original position the cross survives comparatively well and parts of its history are well documented. Other details: Monument 27321.


Watson, A., 2007-2017?, Devon Crosses, 149, (Vol 2), sketch (Un-published). SDV360833.

Down St Mary Churchyard SS743044
An ancient cross stands in the churchyard, west of the church. A modern socket-stone, square at the base and chamfered into an octagon above, supporting an ancient cross, rectangular at the base with pointed spurs, and with hollow chamfered edges higher up. The shaft and arms are straight. The cross is said to have been found as a paving stone near Bow, it was taken to 'Saint Olaves', a private residence at Murchington, near Chagford, belonging to the Reverend W T A Radford, then rector of Down St Mary. After his death the next rector, the Reverend R Kestell-Cornish, had the cross removed to the churchyard.
Cross height 1.78 metres, span 0.61 metres. Base 0.35 metres by 0.22 metres. Socket stone 0.71 by 0.71 metres by 0.30 metres high.


National Monuments Record, 2010, 34866 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV345927.

Remains of two 14th-15th century stone crosses in the churchyard. Cross 'A' at SS74270445 is the remains of a stone cross (classified as 14/15th century) in the churchyard at Down St Mary, consisting of a modern socket-stone with Medieval shaft and arms. Other details: Cross A.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Cross approximately 7 metres west of tower of church of St Mary was Listed on 20th November 1986. Plain granite churchyard cross probably of the 15th century on a circa 1900 base and approximately 1.7 metres high. It is crudely carved and the stem is not straight. The edges of the stem, the short arms and top have hollow-chamfered edges and there are remains of pyramid stops at the bottom. The cross is set on granite socket stone of circa 1900 with shouldered corners. The cross was erected here by the Right Revd Bishop Kestall-Cornish when Rector (1897-1909). It was discovered being used as a paving stone in Bow village. Other details: LBS Number 441993.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website. [Mapped feature: #11193 ]
SDV345925Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1952 - 1970. SS70SW4. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV345927National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2010. 34866. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV345932List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Down St Mary. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 115.
SDV345935Article in Serial: Kestell-Cornish. 1902-1903. The Bow-Down St Mary Cross. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2 Part 1. Unknown. 107.
SDV345936Un-published: Gerrard, H.. 1994. 139521. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Unknown.
SDV345937Schedule Document: Department of Environment. 1995. Churchyard Cross 12 metres west of Down St Mary Church Tower. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV345938Photograph: 1994. Photograph (Paper).
SDV360833Un-published: Watson, A.. 2007-2017?. Devon Crosses. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 149, (Vol 2), sketch.
SDV6308Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1938. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 70. A5 Hardback. 320.

Associated Monuments

MDV2119Related to: Churchyard Cross in Down St Mary (Building)
MDV2120Related to: St Mary's Parish Church, Down St Mary (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 22 2018 10:18AM