HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV2131
Name:St Martin's Chapel, Broadnymet


St Martin's Chapel was the former Broadnymet Parish Church built in 13th century with 17th century additions which went out of use in the late 19th century


Grid Reference:SS 702 009
Map Sheet:SS70SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNorth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBROADNYMET

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 34875
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS70SW/9
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 92947
  • Old SAM County Ref: 166
  • Old SAM Ref: 34285
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS70SW7

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XIII to XVII - 1300 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'St Martin's Chapel (Remains of)' shown on 19th century map.

Carbonell, B. M. H., 1928, Notes on the history of the parishes of Nymet Tracy, alias Bow, with Broad Nymet, 219-312 (Article in Serial). SDV44636.

St Martin's Chapel, Broadnymet. A single-celled church with western bell-cote. Belated Early English detail probably early 14th century (first known chaplain died 1332). Rubble walls; windows with internal plain segmental arches on the east, (uncusped three-light), and south (three- cusped single light) only. As often locally, door is a round-headed survival with ovolo mouldings. Door leaf probably original with short hinges and lys ornament, studs in lozenge pattern. Ashlar porch with wooden head to arch, perhaps an addition. West wall rebuilt, with rubble bell-cote; bell missing. Roof later, (plain 'waggon' bonded behind on embattled cornice). No piscina. Ghost of a simple screen on walls. Adjoining are two granite crosses, docked of their arms and used as gateposts.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1951 - 1970, SS70SW7 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV268579.

'St Martin's Chapel, Remains of'. The building, now used as a farm outhouse is substantially intact, the walls and roof being in sound condition. No church fittings have survived within the building. The former church of St Martin, Broadnymet, is in private possession and used as a barn. It is a small unaltered late 13th century fabric, comprising nave and chancel, with a 17th century south porch. Other details: Photograph.

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 491 (Monograph). SDV17562.

In private possession and used as a barn. Other details: Visited in 1953.

Smith, Rev. W. J., 1957, Letter (Correspondence). SDV268581.

The building now used as a farm outhouse; no church fittings have survived.

Ministry of Works, 1959, Broad Nymet Church (Schedule Document). SDV345945.

A ruined church in the Early English style probably of early 14th century date. It consists of a nave and chancel with a bell turret and south porch. The windows have disappeared. The building was desecrated about 1820 and has since been used as a shed. It seems probable that in the future an attempt may be made to rob the stone to repair farm buildings. Other details: Monument 166.

Department of Environment, 1987, North Tawton, 37 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV227017.

Former church now used as agricultural store. Late 13th century with 17th century porch, restored 1983-4. Sandstone rubble walls. Gable ended slate roof. Simple rectangular plan with no division between nave and chancel. Small porch added on south side in 17th century. 1983-4 restoration left most of the structure intact, only the porch being slightly altered. Original fenestration intact, consisting of single light cusped lancets on south side and three-light lancet with pointed arched heads at east end and to nave south window right of porch. Single storey porch to left of centre on south side, originally had an elliptical arched wooden lintel to outer doorway; this has been rebuilt in brick. South doorway rebuilt in 17th century, with round headed stone arch. 17th century studded plank door. At west gable end a restored stone bellcote surmounts the apex with a ball finial and wrought iron cross. Around the walls are irregularly spaced putlog holes. Undecorated common rafter wagon roof survives which was at one time plastered. May not be original, but probably pre-1600. Above the timbers are rough pegged wooden boards forming a lining beneath the slates. Crenellated wall plates. Windows have deep internal splays. Walls inside have old plaster and limewash coating. No internal fittings survive. Originally served the parish of Broad Nymet which consisted of only 42 acres and was absorbed into North Tawton.

Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 194 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2002, St Martin's Chapel, Broadnymett (Schedule Document). SDV345944.

St Martin's Chapel in Broadnymett includes a chapel, probably of late 13th century date with a 17th century porch and an immediately adjacent 14th century stone cross, situated within the hamlet of Broadnymett overlooking the valley of the River Yeo. Originally, the chapel lay within a walled garden, which is now largely incomplete, connected with the nearby residence. The chapel, which is Listed Grade II*, is no longer used for worship. The monument survives as a single celled, rectangular building which measures 14.1 metres long by 4.1 metres wide internally, and stands to its full original height with rubble walls and a slate roof. At the western end is a bell-cote, although the bell is missing, while on the southern side is a small ashlar porch. There are no windows on the northern side of the chapel, just one small putlog hole. On the southern side there are three single light windows and one triple light, while the eastern end has a triple lancet window. The doorway is round headed with simple moulding. Both door jambs have single stone carvings of a circle and incised cross design. The wooden door itself is probably 17th century and has short hinges and lozenge shaped studs. The original timber lintel to the outer door of the porch has now been replaced with brick. Internally the chapel has an undecorated common rafter wagon roof, above which are pegged wooden boards which form a lining beneath the slates. There are also some crenellated wooden wall plates. A large proportion of apparently plain Medieval floor tiles remain in place, especially close to the door and where they appear to define the altar area. Simple whitewashed plaster is also apparent on much of the internal walls. Marks on this plaster indicate the position of the original screen. No other internal fixtures and fittings survive. At the north eastern end of the chapel immediately adjacent to the corner of the building stands a cross shaft. The head and arms are missing but the shaft is octagonal in section, tapers upwards and stands up to 1.7 metres high. The cross has metal gate hanging brackets attached to it, although these do not support a gate. The chapel originally served the parish of Broadnymett, which consisted of only 42 acres (about 67 hectares). The earliest recorded chaplain died in 1332. The surface of the access road immediately to the east of the chapel is excluded from the scheduling, where it falls within the chapel's 2 metre protective margin, although the ground beneath this feature is included.The chapel is a well-preserved, fully roofed structure which retains many of its original features. Once an important focal point of a small and predominantly poor parish, it is now all that remains since this parish was absorbed into North Tawton. Other details: Monument 34285.

Carbonell, B. M. H. + Wauton, M., 2002, Untitled Source, 28-29 (Pamphlet). SDV321149.

St Martin's Chapel was the Parish Church of Broadnymet. The Parish of Broadnymet was united to that of Bow alias Nymet Tracy in 1839 for Ecclesiastical puposes only. The church went out of use in the late 19th century. Broadnymet was a Manor held by Adam de Broadnimet in 1087 and the family was mentioned again in 1338. A complete list of Rectors of the Parish exists from 1332 to 1836.

National Monuments Record, 2010, 34875 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV345946.

A chapel, probably of late 13th century date with a 17th century porch and a 14th century stone cross immediately adjacent. The chapel is situated within the hamlet of Broadnymett. Originally the chapel lay within a walled garden, which is now largely incomplete. The chapel is no longer used for worship. This chapel is well preserved and retains many of its original features.

English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Former church of St Martin was Listed on 22nd February 1967. Unaltered small Early English Churches are particularly unusual and it is probaby due to its change of use that this building survives as such. Other details: LBS Number 92947.

Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

'Chapel' shown on modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 491.
SDV227017List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. North Tawton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 37.
SDV268579Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1951 - 1970. SS70SW7. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV268581Correspondence: Smith, Rev. W. J.. 1957. Letter. Letter.
SDV321149Pamphlet: Carbonell, B. M. H. + Wauton, M.. 2002. Thirteen Centuries in Bow alias Nymet Tracey with Broadnymet. Leaflet. 28-29.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 194.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83074 ]
SDV345944Schedule Document: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2002. St Martin's Chapel, Broadnymett. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV345945Schedule Document: Ministry of Works. 1959. Broad Nymet Church. The Schedule of Monuments. Foolscap.
SDV345946National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2010. 34875. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV44636Article in Serial: Carbonell, B. M. H.. 1928. Notes on the history of the parishes of Nymet Tracy, alias Bow, with Broad Nymet. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 60. A5 Hardback. 219-312.

Associated Monuments

MDV2130Related to: Cross at St Martin's Chapel in Broadnymet (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Nov 30 2010 2:56PM