HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV2132
Name:CHAPEL in the Parish of Bow


Site of a medieval chapel dedicated to St Martin in the southwest corner of Nymet Tracy churchyard which was later converted into a dwelling


Grid Reference:SS 727 006
Map Sheet:SS70SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBow
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBOW

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS70SW/10

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Pearson, J. B., 1900, Church Houses in Devon, 210 (Article in Serial). SDV5752.

According to the records of the Charity Commissioners of 1818 the church house then comprised three dwellings, the rents payable to the church.

Carbonell, B. M. H., 1928, Notes on the history of the parishes of Nymet Tracy, alias Bow, with Broad Nymet, 303 (Article in Serial). SDV44636.

On the south side of the churchyard stands a cottage which, until 1603 was the chapel of St Martin. Mentioned in deeds of 1565 and 1603, when it was converted into a dwelling house.

Copeland, G. W., 1963, Devonshire Church Houses: Part 4, 148-50 (Article in Serial). SDV7678.

Near the lych-gate at the SW corner of Nymet Tracey churchyard is a house said to occupy the site of a medieval chapel. It is clear that there was a chapel dedicated to St Martin; the evidence being a licence granted to William Bremelcombe, Rector, by Bishop Stafford in 1400, and also a series of grants or leases in the 16C-18C. Not clear whether the chapel and the church-house were one and the same or merely close together, but seems likely that the chapel was the older of the two with part of it later used as a church-house. Present building still known as 'St Martin's' but there is nothing to indicate ecclesiastical associations. A much restored private dwelling, rectangular on plan with a bold projection of the full height at the SW abutting into the churchyard. The base of this projection shows a solid building of granite quasi-ashlar, the rest plastered. Colour-washed, wooden-framed windows and doorway, and new pantiled roof conceal any other evidence of antiquity.

Carbonell, B. M. H. + Wauton, M., 2002, Untitled Source, 7,11 (Pamphlet). SDV321149.

The Chapel of St Martin was first mentioned in 1400 when the Rector of Nymet Tracy was licensed by Henry IV to celebrate Ascension Day & St Martin's Day in the chapel. The building was transferred to domestic use after the dissolution of the Monasteries & given to the parish by the Earl of Bath in 1565. It may have been a Sanctuary or Oratory Chapel before the church was built to the north or it may have been a private chapel for the de Tracy family.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV321149Pamphlet: Carbonell, B. M. H. + Wauton, M.. 2002. Thirteen Centuries in Bow alias Nymet Tracey with Broadnymet. Leaflet. 7,11.
SDV44636Article in Serial: Carbonell, B. M. H.. 1928. Notes on the history of the parishes of Nymet Tracy, alias Bow, with Broad Nymet. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 60. A5 Hardback. 303.
SDV5752Article in Serial: Pearson, J. B.. 1900. Church Houses in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 32. A5 Hardback. 210.
SDV7678Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1963. Devonshire Church Houses: Part 4. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 95. A5 Hardback. 148-50.

Associated Monuments

MDV38260Related to: Nymet Barton farmhouse (Building)
MDV2135Related to: Nymet Tracey, St Bartholomew's Church (Building)
MDV16485Related to: Nymet Tracy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Sep 30 2015 5:07PM