HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22055
Name:Hayne Farm House, Uffculme

Summary

Hayne Farm house built in the late 15th or early 16th century with later modifications.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 115 100
Map Sheet:ST11SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishUffculme
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUFFCULME

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST11SW/40
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XV to XVII - 1450 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

National Monuments Record, ST11SW/43680 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV337273.

Other details: Report & architectural plan.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 539 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Documented as 'Hegh' in 1249.


Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 112 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Hayne Farm. Jointed cruck recorded (citing Comm E H D Williams).


Timms, S. C., 1983, List of Devon buildings in NMR Recorded Buildings Index, London (Un-published). SDV337271.

Survey by E H D Williams (1977) deposited in NMR Index Card gives late 15th century date with circa 1600 alterations.


English Heritage, 1987, Uffculme (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV323179.

Hayne Farm house. Probably late 15th or early 16th century with later modifications. Roughcast cob; gable-end and half-hipped thatched roof. Originally a 3-room, through-passage plan house of jointed cruck construction, the service end, (extended by the addition of another room, probably in the 17th century), to the left of the passage. The hall and service end were open to the roof which is smoke-blackened. The inner room was of 2 storeys from the beginning, divided from the hall of a closed truss. A first floor window in this partition (i.e. between hall and 'solar') noticed by Commander Williams in 1975, has been removed. The inner room was unheated; inserted axial stack backing on to the passage heats hall; another axial (originally an end) stack heats service end; internal end stack heats service end extension. All with brick shafts. 2 storeys. Exterior Front: irregular 4 window range; all 3-light 19th century casement windows to first floor; ground floor: 2 entrances, the right-hand doorway is almost centrally placed and leads into the passage between the service room and the service end extension (half-glazed door with corrugated iron canopy). Otherwise 19th and 20th century 2 and 3-light casement windows. Rear: with 2 late lean-tos; rear door to through-passage with a debased 4-centred arch, the centre rising almost like a low pediment, chamfered and pegged (and apparently similar to certain doorways in Somerset). Another door to extreme left of elevation; planked and studded. 2 and 3 light casement windows elsewhere. Interior: Hall with deeply chamfered unstopped intersecting ceiling beams forming 6 panes; partition between hall and inner room now of rubble (but possibly originally a timber screen, as Commander Williams suggests). Plank and muntin screen between through-passage and service end; service end with roughly chamfered cross ceiling beam. Axial ceiling beam to service end extension, chamfered, with run out stops to one end only. Roof: 3 jointed cruck trusses, cranked collars, morticed and pegged at apex with diagonal ridge piece (Alcock Type F2); service end and hall completely sooted with rafters battening and smoke-blackened thatch intact. Higher end clean, with hip cruck. Commander Williams was unable closely to inspect the lower end of the medieval roof and this does not retain its hip cruck; the cob stack inserted at this point has been heavily stained by soot from the smoke-blackened roof above. Reference: a full report with plan and sections by Commander Williams, June 1975, is in the NMR. Other details: LBS No 95788.


Clements, H. A., 1994, Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills (Report - Survey). SDV344050.


Butler, D., 1995, Untitled Source (Worksheet). SDV337272.

The ash house at Hayne Farm was recently renovated.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH185H (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

No information supplied.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Hayne Farmhouse.

Probably late 15th century or early 16th century, with later modifications. Roughcast cob; gable-end and half-hipped thatched roof. Originally a 3-room, through-passage plan house of jointed cruck construction, the service end, (extended by the addition of another room, probably in the 17th century), to the left of the passage. The hall and service end were open to the roof which is smoke-blackened. The inner room was of 2 storeys from the beginning, divided from the hall of a closed truss. A first floor window in this partition (i.e. between hall and 'solar') noticed by Commander Williams in 1975, has been removed. The inner room was unheated; inserted axial stack backing on to the passage heats hall; another axial (originally an end) stack heats service end; internal end stack heats service end extension. All with brick shafts. 2 storeys.

Exterior Front: irregular 4 window range; all 3-light 19th century casement windows to first floor; ground floor: 2 entrances, the right-hand doorway is almost centrally placed and leads into the passage between the service room and the service end extension (half-glazed door with corrugated iron canopy). Otherwise 19th century and 20th century 2 and 3-light casement windows. Rear: with 2 late lean-tos; rear door to through-passage with a debased 4-centred arch, the centre rising almost like a low pediment, chamfered and pegged (and apparently similar to certain doorways in Somerset). Another door to extreme left of elevation; planked and studded. 2 and 3-light casement windows elsewhere.

Interior: Hall with deeply chamfered unstopped intersecting ceiling beams forming 6 panes; partition between hall and inner room now of rubble (but possibly originally a timber screen, as Commander Williams suggests). Plank and muntin screen between through-passage and service end; service end with roughly chamfered cross ceiling beam. Axial ceiling beam to service end extension, chamfered, with run out stops to one end only.

Roof: 3 jointed cruck trusses, cranked collars, morticed and pegged at apex with diagonal ridge piece (Alcock type F2); service end and hall completely sooted with rafters battening and smoke-blackened thatch intact. Higher end clean, with hip cruck. Commander Williams was unable closely to inspect the lower end of the medieval roof and this does not retain its hip cruck; the cob stack inserted at this point has been heavily stained by soot from the smoke-blackened roof above. Reference: a full report with plan and sections by Commander Williams, June 1975, is in the NMR.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 539.
SDV323179List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 1987. Uffculme. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV337271Un-published: Timms, S. C.. 1983. List of Devon buildings in NMR Recorded Buildings Index, London. Typescript.
SDV337272Worksheet: Butler, D.. 1995. Worksheet.
SDV337273National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. ST11SW/43680. National Monuments Record Database. Unknown.
SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 112.
SDV344050Report - Survey: Clements, H. A.. 1994. Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills. A4 Comb Bound + Digital.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH185H.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #83277 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV80926Part of: Hayne Farm, Uffculme (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4655 - Survey of Farmsteads in the Blackdown Hills

Date Last Edited:Apr 24 2015 8:43AM