HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22115
Name:Ford Farmhouse, Manaton

Summary

Ford Farmhouse, originally a longhouse. Probably early 16th century, floored in circa 1600, rear wing probably added mid-late 17th century. Remodelled in 18th century and subsequent 20th century additions and alterations.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 732 811
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishManaton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMANATON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SW/107
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (Built, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1599 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1959, Newton Abbot RD, 79 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV293102.

Ford Farm. 16th century or earlier. Roughcast over stone. Thatched. Wing at centre rear with hipped thatched roof. Large external chimney with offsets beside it. On right side is a porch with stone walls and stone seats. This has an old nail studded door, closed with bars. House contains wide hearth in kitchen partly filled with range, and oak beams, one finely moulded.


Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 110 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Jointed cruck recorded (Alcock citing Miss E. Gawne).


Department of Environment, 1987, Manaton, 11-12 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV303187.

Ford Farmhouse, originally a longhouse. Probably early 16th century, floored in circa 1600, rear wing probably added mid-late 17th century. Remodelled in 18th century and subsequent 20th century additions and alterations. Granite rubble walls rendered at the front. Gable end stacks. Asbestos slate roof.
Plan of a house with a long and complex structural history. The lower end was converted for domestic use in mid 20th century from a shippon. Two storeys. Almost regular four window front. Despite alterations a number of early features survive. There are three original smoke-blackened trusses over the hall, which have been partly mutilated by subsequent alterations. Other roof structural features. Hall contains a very large granite-framed fireplace with massive granite lintel, slightly cambered, which has a hollow chamfer and to the right hand side contains an oven. Good voussoir arch fireplace to large room in rear wing. See List for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

MANATON SX 78 SW 4/13 Ford Farmhouse - 28.8.55 II GV
Farmhouse, originally a longhouse. Probably early C16, floored in circa 1600, rear wing probably added mid-late C17. Remodelled in C18 and subsequent C20 additions and alterations. Granite rubble walls rendered at the front. Gable end stacks to main block and lateral stack to rear wing are rendered granite with drip-courses. Axial stack to main block is granite rubble with moulded granite cap. Asbestos slate roof, gable to left and upper end and wing at rear, hipped to right hand lower end.
Plan of a house with a long and complex structural development. The lower end was converted for domestic use in mid C20 from a shippon in which the cow standings formerly survived and only an insubstantial wooden partition separated it fron the through passage. A blocked ventilation slit exists on the first floor of the lower gable end substantiating the evidence for an original shippon. The separate external door to the lower room/shippon on the front wall of the house adjoining the through passage door is also fairly typical of the developed longhouse form. Above the lower room is a wide through passage adjoining which is the hall, with stack backing onto the passage, which was originally open to the roof with a central hearth. Beyond the hall is the inner room with a renewed solid partition, originally there was a closed truss between the hall and inner room. When the hall was ceiled and the fireplace inserted circa 1600 a newel staircase was put in at the rear wall of the hall which has now been removed but the curved recess remains. In mid-late C17 a rear kitchen wing was added behind the hall. In C18 the house was refronted and the inner room given independant access and its own staircase to the room above, so that it could be self-contained. The staircase and adjoining partition to the hall have since been removed. Either at this stage or in the early C19 a long dairy outshut was added at the rear of the through passage and lower end. In the C20 a cart shed running parallel to the rear wing from the inner room was converted to domestic use as was the shippon. 2 storeys. Almost regular 4-window front. At upper end of passage are 2 and 4- light C18 casement windows with leaded panes. At the lower end are 4-light C20 casements without glazing bars, the first floor centre right is of 2 lights. Door into upper end of hall (originally inner room) to left has C18 wooden cornice with small row of dentils, C20 plank door. The door to through passage at right of centre is probably late Cl7 plank door with 2 rows of studs, heavy strap hinges and spy-hole; it is set in a wide chamfered oak doorway with depressed arch head. The door is contained in a C19 rendered gabled porch with built-in seats either side. Immediately to the right is the former doorway into the shippon now containing a C20 glazed door. To far right is small single storey projecting C19/C20 addition, originally pig-house, with large 2-light plate glass casement window. The left hand gable end stack projects with offsets. To the rear of the hall is a substantial wing with massive projecting lateral stack now contained in adjoining extension. First floor right hand window on inner face of wing is 4-light C18 casement with leaded panes. Others are C20 casements. Adjoining wing single storey.
Interior: despite alterations a number of early features survive.
There are 3 original smoke-blackened roof trusses over the hall which have, however, been somewhat mutilated by subsequent roof alterations. From the evidence of one they are jointed crucks, they have threaded purlins and curved collars morticed into the trusses with the one at the upper end of the hall showing stavore-holes for a partition beneath. At the apex the trusses are morticed with the ridge pole resting in a notch. No original common rafters or thatch survive. The rest of the roof is C19/C20. The through passage is cobbled and the back of the fireplace adjoining it is characteristically constructed of dressed granite blocks with a coved cornice marking the original height of the passage. The hall contains a very large granite-framed fireplace with massive granite lintel, slightly cambered, which has a hollow chamfer. Rough monolithic jamb to the left. In the right hand side of the fireplace is an oven, with a 3-centred arched stone opening, stone sides and floor but a brick roof. The room contains 3 cross beams with broad chamfers and evidence on one of hollow step stops. The window has 2-panelled shutters to either side. The inner room has one roughly chamfered cross beam which has been hacked for plaster. The rear wing contains a straight run framed staircase and one large room which has a very wide fireplace with chamfered voussoir segmental arch. This is a good example of a substantial C16 farmhouse with an interesting development pattern and containing in particular 2 good granite fireplaces, the voussoir arch fireplace being an unusual early example. The house also forms part of an especially interesting and well-preserved farm complex linking the house to the stable is a granite rubble garden wall incorporating a mounting block which is climbed from the garden side.
Listing NGR: SX7322981141

Sources / Further Reading

SDV293102List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1959. Newton Abbot RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 79.
SDV303187List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Manaton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 11-12.
SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 110.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #83309 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV77789Part of: Ford Farm, Manaton (Monument)
MDV34288Related to: Stable and shippon at Ford Farm, Manaton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 14 2018 9:01AM