HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22116
Name:Higher West Coombe Farmhouse, North Bovey

Summary

Early 16th century farmhouse, probably altered in the 18th century. Plan in 1987 consisted of present long shippon section to the right divided into two parts, hall at centre with fireplace at opposite left end and small unheated room bayond with 20th century single storey modern extension at end. Marked on Tithe Map as Lower West Coombe.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 709 825
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishNorth Bovey
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH BOVEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SW/108
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1550 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Marked on the Tithe Map as 'Lower West Coombe'; 1183 on the apportionment, 'House, garden and yard', owned by William Shears, occupied by Edward Cuming.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Appears unchanged from the Tithe Map depiction.


Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 111 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Higher Westcoombe. Jointed cruck recorded.


Timms, S. C., 1983, List of Devon buildings in NMR Recorded Buildings Index, London, 19/12/1983 (Un-published). SDV337271.

Grid reference uncertain. N. Alcock's 1979 survey deposited in NMR, London.


Department of Environment, 1987, North Bovey, 182 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV348844.

Higher West Coome farmhouse (formerly listed as Higher Westcombe including attached barn).
Circa early 16th century, altered probably in 18th century. Granite walls, large ashlar blocks extending approximately half way along the front from the left, then changing to rubble, lightly rendered. One granite rubble axial stack with drip-moulds and granite capping. Corrugated iron roof hipped at either end.
Plan: present long shippon section to the right divided into two parts, hall at centre with fireplace at opposite left end and small unheated room beyond with 20th century single storey modern extension at end. Original plan obscure, possibly the change to rubble stonework indicates a partial re-building and equally part of the original house at the left end might have disappeared. The original roof trusses survive over the house part and the adjoining section of shippon, and smoke-blackening shows that the house was open to the roof as far as this.
Two storeys. Asymmetrical one-window front with 2-light 20th century casement without glazing bars to right of house section on ground and first floor. To left is flat roofed 20th century concrete block porch with glazed door. Single storey 20th century addition at left end. Shippon section has two doors at centre and left and inserted 20th century window to right. In end wall at ground level is drain opening.
Interior inspected by Michael Laithwaite who reports the hall as having a cross beam at the shippon end with slots for studs, which has been underbuilt with a stone wall. Over the small room is a jointed cruck (morticed), over the hall is a true cruck heavily smoke-blackened. The hall end of the shippon has what is possibly a true cruck lightly smoke-blackened which is cut off, and shortly before the partition to the adjoining section of shippon is a similar truss, intact and considerably blackened.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

House at West Coombe Farm shown on modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337271Un-published: Timms, S. C.. 1983. List of Devon buildings in NMR Recorded Buildings Index, London. Typescript. 19/12/1983.
SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 111.
SDV348844List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. North Bovey. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 182.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #83310 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV77039Related to: Higher West Coombe, North Bovey (Monument)
MDV22117Related to: Lower West Coombe Farmhouse, North Bovey (Building)
MDV35469Related to: Shippon at West Coombe Farm, North Bovey (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 5 2018 2:32PM