HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22121
Name:Church Cottage, Drewsteignton

Summary

Small mid 16th century cottage with major early 17th century modernisation. Coursed blocks of massive granite ashlar with some granite rubble patching; granite ashlar stack and chimney shaft; slate roof (formerly thatch). The Church room (formerly church house).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 736 908
Map Sheet:SX79SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDrewsteignton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishDREWSTEIGNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX79SW/56
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94900

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH HOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1599 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 110 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Jointed cruck recorded (citing M. W. Barley).


Department of Environment, 1988, Drewsteignton (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336831.

Church room (formerly church house). A 16th century structure in granite with slate roof and granite ashlar end stack. Two storeys. Stone newel staircase. Beamed ceiling, plank and muntin partition and open fireplace on ground floor. Plain collar braced roof.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Unchanged from the late 19th century historic map depiction.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

SX 79 SW DREWSTEIGNTON DREWSTEIGNTON - 5/106 Church Cottage 22.2.67 GV II*
Small cottage. Mid C16 with a major early C17 modernisation. Coursed blocks of massive granite ashlar with some granite rubble patching; granite ashlar stack and chimney shaft; slate roof (formerly thatch).
Plan and development: small 2-room plan cottage built adjoining the churchyard and facing north. The larger right (west) room has a projecting gable-end stack and this end faces onto the village square. Originally the unheated left (east) room was floored and the right room was an open hall heated by an open hearth fire. In the early C17 the stack was inserted and the hall floored over. Secondary outshot to rear. Main house is 2 storeys.
Exterior: irregular 1-window front of early C20 casements with glazing bars. The front door is roughly central and contains a C20 plank door in a probably C19 solid oak frame with bead-moulded surround. The churchyard lych gate (q.v) abutts the left end of the front. Roof is gable-ended. Similar windows onto the churchyard on the left end. On the right end there is an early C17 granite-mullioned 2-light window with hoodmould to each floor right of the chimney stack.
Interior: appears to be well-preserved although much of the structure is hidden by C19 and C20 plaster. Nevertheless the top of an oak-framed full height crosswall shows in the roofspace. The true cruck truss over the hall and the hall side of the crosswall is smoke-blackened from the open hearth fire. The early C17 fireplace is blocked by a C20 grate and the hall is floored by an early C17 soffit-chamfered and step-stopped crossbeam.
This is a very interesting house being so small and so old. Certainly it has been this size since the early C17 refurbishment, and the early work is of high quality. Furthermore it occupies an important site in the centre of Drewsteignton village and forms part of a group with other listed buildings in the vicinity of the Church of Holy Trinity (q.v). A plaque on the front (sheltered by the lych-gate roof) records the purchase of the cottage by subscription by the parish in memory of William Ponsford of Ford House who died in 1931.
Listing NGR: SX7360690842

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336831List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Drewsteignton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown.
SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 110.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #83312 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV33588Related to: 1-4 Glebe Cottages, Drewsteignton (Building)
MDV8456Related to: Holy Trinity parish church, Drewsteignton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 10 2016 12:16PM