HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22131
Name:Wolfsgrove

Summary

Large farmhouse, probably late medieval origins, remodelled and extended in the 17th and 18th century, circa early 19th century wing.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 893 740
Map Sheet:SX87SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBishopsteignton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBISHOPSTEIGNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX87SE/175
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85679

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XV to XIX - 1401 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV292465.

Doe/hhr:newton abbot rd/(-/6/1952)15.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV292466.

Des=worksheet + photo(dudley, e. )/in parish file.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV327586.

Wolfsgrove.17th century. Two storeys. Colourwashed rubble. Hipped thatched roof. Thatched enclosed porch. Large external chimney at rear. Outshot with corrugated iron roof below.(doe). Vis=-/-/1981 (dudley). Thatched farmhouse. L-shaped. Ornate fireplace, lateral stack. Step stops on central long beam. Roundhouse. Original doors. Granite applecrusher trough and roller. Documentation on worksheet.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.


English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

Large farmhouse. Probably late medieval origins, remodelled and extended in the C17 and C18, circa early C19 wing. Colourwashed and rendered, said to be stone faced with cob, some of the cob replaced with concrete block after a collapse of the facing ; thatched roof with plain ridge, hipped at left end, gabled at end of wing ; left end stack, wide projecting rear lateral stack, end stack to wing. Plan: Complex evolution. The present arrangement is L plan with a single depth main range, 4 rooms wide with an entrance to left of centre into an axial passage in front of an unheated service room ; 2 room plan front right wing. The origins of the house appear to be a late medieval open hall (blackened timbers over the left end) but the flooring of this end of the house suggests that it was subsequently reduced in status to a kitchen and the house seems to have developed to the right, the principal C17 room being to right of centre and retaining its status as a parlour to the present day. A narrow unheated room at the extreme right was a former dairy, the partition between this room and the parlour has been removed. The axial passage in front of the service room is probably a late C17 or C18 arrangement. The front right wing is probably an early C19 addition to extend the higher end of the house. C19 or C20 single-storey lean-tos to rear of main range with corrugated iron roofs. Exterior: 2 storeys. Long, handsome, 3 window front with the wing to the right, the eaves thatch slightly eyebrowed over the 2 left hand windows. Gabled porch on front ; C20 conservatory in angle between main range and wing with C20 glazed doors into the house from the conservatory. 2-light C19 or C20 casement windows with glazing bars. The inner return of the wing has a 2-light first floor casement and an early C19 ground floor 16-pane sash. Interior: The parlour, to right of centre, has a C17 chamfered axial beam with scroll nick stops and a fine and very ornate late C19 local marble chimney-piece. The extreme left hand room has a rough crossbeam and a partition wall of wide horizontal planks to the unheated service room. Roof: Something of a puzzle. The timbers over the left end room appear to be lightly blackened with blackened thatch but the smoke-staining fades out to the right and there are 2 different types of trusses. The extreme left end truss appears to be C16, it is incomplete but formerly had a threaded ridge and purlins and lapped notched collar. The adjacent truss is less finely finished with a halved collar but is also blackened and the remaining trusses (not thoroughly inspected), appear to be of the same type. Trusses over the wing may be early C19, pegged at the apex but with bolted collars. A large, handsome farmhouse, visible from the road.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV292465Migrated Record:
SDV292466Migrated Record:
SDV327586Report - Survey: Department of Environment.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #83316 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 24 2015 1:52PM