HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV22140
Name:Dent House, Doddiscombsleigh


Former farmhouse dating to the early 16th century. Remodelled and altered in 17th and 18th century. Substantially renovated and extended in 1970s. Colourwashed rendered stone and cob under slate roof. House originated as a late medieval open hall and the medieval roof survives in part with 2 jointed cruck trusses.


Grid Reference:SX 855 864
Map Sheet:SX88NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDoddiscombsleigh
Ecclesiastical ParishDODDISCOMBSLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88NE/42
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85647

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVI to Late 20th Century - 1501 AD to 2000 AD)

Full description

Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 110 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Jointed cruck recorded.

Department of Environment, 1988, Doddiscombsleigh (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV342047.

Former farmhouse. Circa early 16th century origins, 17th century remodelling, 18th century alterations, substantial 1970s renovations and extension. Colourwashed rendered cob and stone; slate roof with deep eaves hipped at ends; axial stack and right end stack with brick shafts to main block, similar stack to end of rear wing, 20th century lateral stack to addition.
Plan: the main block is a 3 room and through passage plan, lower end to the right, narrow unheated inner room, hall stack backing on to passage. A rear left wing, at right angles to the inner room and hall, forms an overall L-plan. The house originated as a late medieval open hall, remodelled and floored in the circa early 17th century, the rear kitchen wing possibly added later in the 17th century. The medieval roof survives over the lower end only, over most of the hall and the wing the roof timbers are 18th century, below a later roof. Substantial alterations of the 1970's include an extension adjoining the lower end room to rear service rooms behind the hall and lower end.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3:1:2 window front with one window to the 1970s 2-storey porch. 2- and 3-light 1970s timber casements with square leaded panes.
Interior: the hall is the most complete room, with a large open fireplace with a timber lintel that extends over the doorway from the passage. Chamfered crossbeam with chamfered joists with runout stops; plank and muntin higher end screen with diagonal stops and evidence of some alteration. The hall has a winder stair in the front right corner. 18th century china cupboard on rear wall of hall. The inner room has a chamfered mullioned rear window (possibly resited) with diagonal stops. Lower end and passage carpentry in 20th century, early 19th century marble chimneypiece possibly concealing earlier features. Good set of 18th century 2-panel doors, some with HL hinges, to both ground and first floors. The rear wing has a rough crossbeam and rebuilt open fireplace with a chamfered timber lintel with step stops.
Roof: 2 side-pegged joiunted cruck trusses, one over the hall, the other over the lower end. The apex of the lower end truss only is visible, lightly sooted with sooted rafters below a later roof. Diagonally-set threaded ridge, threaded purlins and collars all missing. The 18th century roof is of pegged collar rafter design with x apexes to the trusses.
Group value with cider house and threshing barn. Other details: LBS No 85647.

Green, T. + Humphreys, C. + Waterhouse, R., 2009, The Cider Barn, Dent House, Doddiscombsleigh, Devon. Results of a Desk-Based Assessment and Historic Building Recording, 5 (Report - Survey). SDV342048.

Dent House is shown on the c1840 Tithe Map as an L-shaped building and the Apportionment records that Samuel Archer was owner and occupier at this time. He was succeeded in turn by Thomas and Samuel Archer, the latter remaining at Dent House until at least 1890. In 1897 George Henry Steed was farmer and landowner and he was followed in 1902 by Samuel Partridge.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV342047List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Doddiscombsleigh. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound.
SDV342048Report - Survey: Green, T. + Humphreys, C. + Waterhouse, R.. 2009. The Cider Barn, Dent House, Doddiscombsleigh, Devon. Results of a Desk-Based Assessment and Historic Building Recording. Southwest Archaeology Report. 090212. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.
SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 110.

Associated Monuments

MDV40319Related to: Cider House to South of Dent House, Doddiscombsleigh (Building)
MDV40320Related to: Threshing Barn to Southeast of Dent House, Doddiscombsleigh (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4472 - Historic Building Recording of Cider Barn, Dent House, Doddiscombsleigh

Date Last Edited:Sep 10 2022 4:29PM