HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV22151
Name:Luton, St John's Church


'St John's Church' built in 1853 with a 'Grave Yard', 'School' & lych gate to the north


Grid Reference:SX 902 770
Map Sheet:SX97NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBishopsteignton
Ecclesiastical ParishBISHOPSTEIGNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 4998
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX97NW/44
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880s, Ordnance Survey, OS 25" (Cartographic). SDV848.

'St John's Church' shown on OS 25" (1880s) map with a triangular 'grave yard' and a 'school' to the north.

Ordnance Survey, 1906, Untitled Source, OS 6" 102SW (Cartographic). SDV48223.

Church marked on OS 6" (1906) map.

Dudley, E. R., 1981, Untitled Source (Worksheet). SDV292856.

Limestone church with buttresses and bath stone dressing. Small stone gable bell turret and tiled roof. Built in 1853. Stone font. Lychgate. Church plate and memorials described on worksheet. School house built the same time as church and was burnt down in 1916, then rebuilt.

Department of Environment, 1988, Luton, LBS Number 85722 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV319955.

'Chapel of St John the Evangelist' at Luton. No details given.

Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1147651 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Chapel of ease to Bishopsteignton parish church. Plans by an amateur architect, William Tozer of Teignmouth, drawnup in 1852. Grey limestone rubble with Bathstone dressings ; steep red tiled roof with sprocketted eaves. Plan: A small chapel sited in farm land just outside the village of Luton. Nave with west end bellcote, chancel, south porch, small lean-to north-east vestry. Some Decorated, some Perpendicular details. Exterior: Chancel with platband below the east window, returning on both north and south sides. 3-light Decorated east window with carved label stops ; cusped triangular window on south side ; small lean-to north east vestry with a stone stack with truncated shaft. Buttressed nave with angle buttresses at the west and 3-light square-headed cusped windows, two to the north side, one to the south side. Gabled west end bellcote with 2 small slit windows with a heavy hoodmould, 2-light Decorated west window central west end buttress. Pretty gabled south porch, the side walls with open, trefoil-headed timber arcading on low stone walls. Interior: Modest. Plastered walls, brick rere arches to windows and door ; double- chamfered chancel arch ; collar rafter nave roof with straight struts below the collar ; boarded canted wagon to chancel with roll-moulded ribs and a pretty painted scheme of stencilling and roundels dating from 1884, commemorating Revd. W.P. Ogle : co-eval diaper designs on the walls have been removed. The chancel has a simple tile pattern on the floor, a probably early C20 timber nowy-headed reredos and a plain 1852 communion rail. The sill of the south window is brought down as a recessed seat with a chamfered arch ; vestry door with cranked lintel on north side ; heavy string course rises as a hoodmould to the vestry door and south side seat. Plain nave with openwork timber drum pulpit ; font with deep octagonal bowl and clustered marble shafts to the stem on a moulded plinth. Benches, some designated "Free" with Y- shaped ends. Memorials and Glass Brass plaque in chancel commemorating Revd. W.P. Ogle, died 1884. East window, circa 1880s, probably by Drake of Exeter ; quarry and border west window "removed from the mother church" (inscription), in 1886.
Date first listed: 2nd December 1988.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV292856Worksheet: Dudley, E. R.. 1981.
SDV319955List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Luton. Historic Houses Register. LBS Number 85722.
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1147651.
SDV48223Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1906. 6". OS 6" 102SW.
SDV848Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey. 25". OS 25".

Associated Monuments

MDV71117Related to: Luton, Ficklin Chest Tomb (Building)
MDV71116Related to: LYCH GATE in the Parish of Bishopsteignton (Building)
MDV50821Related to: SCHOOL in the Parish of Bishopsteignton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV27 - Unnamed Event

Date Last Edited:Nov 24 2017 1:20PM