HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV22231
Name:12 Bridgeland Street, Bideford


Part of a large house originally including number 11, dated 1692; now Masonic hall with caretaker's house at rear. Front refaced and rear wing widened in the 19th century.


Grid Reference:SS 453 268
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/101
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1692 AD to 1850 AD (Between))

Full description

Bideford Bridge Trust Survey, A1/10 (Archive - Survey). SDV349762.

Wilson, 1895, Bideford Almanack, 47 (Monograph). SDV5268.

Department of Environment, 19/03/1973, Bideford, 13 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV341487.

12, Bridgeland Street, Bideford. Appears to be 1690 structure with new roof and later stucco. Two storey, 4 window front with large sash windows. Ionic doorway and contemporary staircase.

Department of National Heritage, 19/04/1993, Bideford, 36 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV338459.

Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 92 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

Torridge District Council, 2009, Bideford Conservation Area Appraisal, 16 (Report - non-specific). SDV351295.

Contains fine internal detailing.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Number 12 Masonic Hall, caretaker's house at rear and garden walls at left and rear (formerly Listed as: Bridgeland Street (North side) Number 12).
Part of a large house originally including number 11); now Masonic hall with caretaker's house at rear. 1692; front refaced and rear wing widened in 19th century. Solid rendered walls (probably brick underneath). Slate roofs; crested red ridge-tiles on front range. Rendered chimney at left end of ridge on front range; 2 more at rear.
Plan: front range has through-passage at right-hand side; to left of it the staircase with a room beyond that; one room in rear wing with a range behind it, parallel to the street. There must have been at least 2 more rooms fronting the street (on the site of number 11) and it is quite possible that the house had a full courtyard plan like that at numbers 28 and 28a; the rear range is not certainly original, but must date from at least the early or mid 18th century. 2 storeys, with garret at rear. 4-window front covered with rusticated render; raised band above ground storey. Moulded wooden eaves-cornice. Windows segmental-headed with moulded flush frames containing 6-paned sashes; sills supported by a small bracket at each end, the ground-storey sills with low decorated iron guards on top. Wide doorway flanked by plain-shafted Ionic columns supporting entablature with pulvinated frieze and modillioned cornice. Doorway itself is segmental-headed, but fitted into it is a square-headed moulded architrave and an 8-panelled door. In front of latter a low wooden dog- or child-gate with turned balusters; to left of doorcase an iron hook and ring, presumably for tying up dogs or horses. Rear wall of rear range (visible from Ropewalk) has segmental-headed, flush-framed windows containing 6 or 8-paned sashes; one in ground storey has early, thick, glazing-bars; modillioned eaves cornice. Left-hand garden wall, adjoining Lavington Chapel, is of old (probably late 17th century) red and yellow brick; rear wall fronting Ropewalk is similar, built on a high stone-rubble plinth.
Interior: at rear of through-passage a round arch with moulded imposts. Beyond it, to left, door to staircase; half-glazed with coloured glass, fanlight with Gothic glazing-bars. Open-well wooden staircase rising to second storey has closed, pulvino-moulded strings, stout turned balusters, square newels with flat moulded caps carrying ball-finials (the latter probably a later addition), broad flat moulded handrail. Ornate moulded ceiling with thick moulded ribs; round centre panel with guilloche decoration, flanked by 2 shaped panels, the whole enclosed in an oblong. Foliated boss in centre, modillioned cornice enriched with egg-and-dart round the wall-tops. Front and wing rooms in ground storey combined into a single dining-room. Front part has raised bolection-moulded panelling and foliated cornice; early 19th century reeded door-frame with carved flowers in top corners. Second-storey rooms above similarly combined to form an imposing masonic temple with painted coved ceiling and columns. Rear section (in wing) has raised bolection-moulded architrave and moulded cornice. Front section has raised-and-fielded ovolo-moulded panelling in early or mid 18th century style. Front room over through-passage has part of a box-cornice, apparently cut off when the house was divided. Some of the panelling in the house is clearly 19th century or early 20th century imitation, but the bulk of the bolection-moulded panelling is almost certainly original. Rear range not inspected, but ground-storey window has early or mid 18th century shutters with raised-and-fielded ovolo-moulded panels. This is Bideford Bridge Trust property, built under a lease of 21.9.1693 to John Smith, merchant. A second lease of 20.5.1698 describes it as the house 'wherein the said John Smith now dwelleth and heretofore lately built by him'; it had a frontage of 80 foot. By 1784, when it was called the Great House, it had already been divided into two houses, and by 1792 the eastern house (number 11) had been rebuilt. The freemasons have had their hall at number 12 since at least 1895.

Unknown, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV5267.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338459List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 19/04/1993. Bideford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 36.
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 92.
SDV341487List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 19/03/1973. Bideford. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 13.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83359 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV349762Archive - Survey: Bideford Bridge Trust Survey. Bideford Bridge Trust Survey. A1/10.
SDV351295Report - non-specific: Torridge District Council. 2009. Bideford Conservation Area Appraisal. Torridge District Council Planning Guidance. Digital. 16.
SDV5267Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Unknown. SS42NE28. Card Index.
SDV5268Monograph: Wilson. 1895. Bideford Almanack. 47.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jan 22 2015 12:44PM