HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22258
Name:West Town Medieval Market Place

Summary

Market place shown on mid 18th century map which would have been the market for West Town from the medieval period. Replaced by a purpose built Market House in 1836.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 831 003
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/83

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MARKET PLACE (Early Medieval to XIX - 1066 AD to 1836 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, DRO/2065M ADD 3/E332 (Cartographic). SDV350780.

Copy of map in Parish File.


Timms, S. C., 1980, Historic Towns of Devon, 107; figure 10.6 (Article in Monograph). SDV348732.


Timms, S. C., 1980, Proposed Conservation Area at Crediton (Report - non-specific). SDV354697.


Wessex Archaeology, 2000, Alexandra Road, Crediton: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV323105.


Mid Devon District Council, 2003, Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal, Section 3; Photo 11. (Report - non-specific). SDV345978.

The wide central section of High Street was used as a cattle market will into the 20th century.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.


Timms, S. C., 28/02/1984, East Street (Personal Comment). SDV40791.

Medieval market place, High Street, Crediton. Crediton high Street displays the characteristic bowed shape of a medieval market place in the main street. This would have been the market for West Town. See 22259 for East Town market place in East Street. A large scale plan of mid 18th century date in the Devon Record Office shows market buildings in detail, extending down the centre of the street from approximately SS83060033 to approximately SS83290028. the plan names buildings as butter shambles, cloam shambles, wool shops, weighing house, flesh shambles, barbers shop, clock house, little shops, sheds, corn shambles, fish shambles and sheep pen. The market cross is also shown. The plan is partly reproduced in Timms, 1981. The open street market was replaced by the purpose built Victorian market to the north of High Street between Market Street and North Street (see 22257).
Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV323105Report - Assessment: Wessex Archaeology. 2000. Alexandra Road, Crediton: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment. Wessex Archaeology Report. 48168.01. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV345978Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2003. Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. Section 3; Photo 11..
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348732Article in Monograph: Timms, S. C.. 1980. Historic Towns of Devon. Archaeology of the Devon Landscape. Paperback Volume. 107; figure 10.6.
SDV350780Cartographic: Unknown. DRO/2065M ADD 3/E332. Devon Record Office Collection. Map + Digital.
SDV354697Report - non-specific: Timms, S. C.. 1980. Proposed Conservation Area at Crediton. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV40791Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. 28/02/1984. East Street.

Associated Monuments

MDV22257Related to: Crediton Market (Building)
MDV22259Related to: East Street Market Place, Crediton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 21 2015 12:45PM