HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV22267
Name:22, 24 and 25 Bartows Causeway, Tiverton


Terrace of three houses converted from a late 16th or early 17th century house, probably a farmhouse. Remodelled with additions at rear in early or mid 19th century.


Grid Reference:SS 955 131
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUNKNOWN

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/99
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485221

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 10 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

Eighteenth century range. Roughcast. Pantile roof. Two storeys. No 25 has wide wooden doorcase with flat pilasters and entablature. Brick chimney stacks.

Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 112 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Jointed cruck recorded.(Alcock citing C. Hulland).

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Terrace of three houses (No.23 is believed to have lain at the rear). Nos 24 and 25, and perhaps also No.22, are converted from a late 16th or early 17th century house, probably a farmhouse. Remodelled with additions at rear in early or mid 19th century.
Materials: solid, roughcast fronts; front and rear walls of No.25 are known to be of cob, while the left end wall is a mixture of stone and cob. Rear of No.25 is of red brick. Pantiled roofs. Red brick chimneys on ridge at each end of range and on party wall between Nos 24 and 25.
Plan: No.25 has two rooms to the front, the original hall to right and the inner room to left. Front door opens directly on to chimney at right-hand end of hall, as in a lobby-entry house, although here this arrangement is not probably older than about 1700. Rear wing on left contains the 19th century kitchen with outhouse beyond. No.24 appears to be the original lower end of the same house (interior not inspected).
Exterior: two storeys. No.22 is one-window wide with doorway to left, No.24 has two windows per storey with doorway to right; No.25 is three windows wide with doorway in place of right-hand ground storey window. No.22 has an unmoulded four-panel door. At No.24 the doorway is open, leading to a through-passage. No.25 has a late 20th century wooden glazed door flanked by 19th century pilasters supporting an entablature. Windows at No.22 have nine-paned sashes, except that the lower sash in the ground-storey window is now only two-paned. All windows at No.24 have 6-paned sashes, as does the right-hand upper-storey window at No.25; remainder of the latter's windows have two-paned sashes with a single upright glazing bar. Moulded board below eaves of whole terrace.
Interior: former hall has chamfered ceiling beam with scroll-stops, its underside cut back. Fireplace has brick back with splayed corners; chamfered wood lintel (probably re-used) has step-stops with bar, the right-hand stop overlapping the edge of the opening. At upper end, stud-and-panel screen, the studs chamfered with rounded step-stops; at right-hand end is the original doorway with flat chamfered lintel, its jambs cut back. Line of a possible former bench above the stops on the studs. Inner room has chamfered ceiling beam with step-stops; matching half-beam against rear wall. Room above hall has a large wooden bolection-moulded chimneypiece with moulded cornice, probably of about 1700; According to the owners, No.24 formerly had a similar one in the upstairs room on the other side of the stack. Moulded ceiling cornice at No.25. Feet of side-pegged jointed crucks showing; crucks are unblackened with through-purlins and no ridge.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 112.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83371 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 10.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Feb 8 2012 3:07PM