HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22310
Name:Abandoned quarry workers hamlet at Drewsteignton

Summary

Kiln Cottages, also known as 'Kiln Village'; part of Blackaller Quarry. Built sometime in the late 18th/early 19th century, this was a quarryman's hamlet, with cottages, bakery and blacksmith's shop. Fell into disuse soon after 1900 and the last of the seven houses was abandoned in 1928. Only a few walls and one stack remain.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 729 911
Map Sheet:SX79SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDrewsteignton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishDREWSTEIGNTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX79SW/48

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BAKEHOUSE (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1810 AD (Between))
  • BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1810 AD (Between))
  • WORKERS COTTAGE (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1810 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1803-1804, Ordnance Survey Drawing 26 east (Cartographic). SDV227358.

Buildings are shown here on Ordnance Survey drawings of 1803-1804.


South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Several buildings are shown on the Tithe Map on either side of a road or track leading to the Drewsteignton road. Field No 889 is marked as 'Cottages and gardens' (Apportionment).


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Shown as 'Kiln Cottages' on the late 19th century historic map. Appears largely unchanged from the Tithe Map depiction.


Griffiths, D. M., 1984, Cottages at Blackaller Quarry, Drewsteignton, 15/2/1984, basic sketch plans (Worksheet). SDV274094.

These buildings have been abandoned and almost completely destroyed by quarry operations, including the track and dumping of spoil in and around the ruins.
To the west of the track are the remains of two buildings. The northern one survives at its southern end where there is a long narrow room with small projection. This room can also be entered from outside through an arched entrance and is roughly square room, half occupied by a large limestone stack with two ovens and a flue. It is connected to the rear of the building by a small opening in its northern wall. Some brick additions. Thought to be a bake house.
Of the southern building, little survives, although the northern wall is upstanding to about 3.0 metres or so, with remains of a fireplace and stack. The rest of the house is under rubble or truncated by the quarry road.
To the south of these buildings is the remains of another building, probably a house, very overgrown but portions of the wall are upstanding. Stack.
Opposite these buildings, east of the track, a number of stone walls survive, now largely covered with spoil and at least two stacks, but quarry spoil is currently being dumped on them, and ground plan unrecoverable. Part of one room of a building survives with stack and very small fireplace, and just beyond this a second stone stack with brick chimney.
These buildings are unlikely to survive long in this state and are presumably dwellings of quarry workers, though date of origin (pre-1839) is unknown (Vancouver gives earliest reference to the quarry workings; 1808).


Greener, P., 1990, Blackaller Quarry, Drewsteignton, 14/2/1990 (Correspondence). SDV227359.


The last of the seven houses was abandoned in 1928.


Born, A., 1991, Limestone, Limekilns and the Limeburning Industry north and west of Dartmoor, 223, 237 (Article in Serial). SDV245698.

Kiln Cottages. Once a quarryman's hamlet with its own bakery and blacksmith's shop. Fell into disuse soon after 1900. Only a few walls and one stack remain.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Modern mapping shows remains of a number of buildings here.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV227358Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1803-1804. Ordnance Survey Drawing 26 east. Unknown. Unknown.
SDV227359Correspondence: Greener, P.. 1990. Blackaller Quarry, Drewsteignton. Letter. Digital. 14/2/1990.
SDV245698Article in Serial: Born, A.. 1991. Limestone, Limekilns and the Limeburning Industry north and west of Dartmoor. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 123. Unknown. 223, 237.
SDV274094Worksheet: Griffiths, D. M.. 1984. Cottages at Blackaller Quarry, Drewsteignton. Worksheet. Digital. 15/2/1984, basic sketch plans.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #83394 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV16246Part of: Blackaller Quarry, Drewsteignton (Monument)
MDV37743Related to: Blackaller Quarry Railway (Monument)
MDV22309Related to: Lime Kiln at Blackaller Quarry, Drewsteignton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 8 2018 4:22PM