HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22325
Name:Bullaton Farmstead, Bovey Tracey

Summary

Bullaton farmstead was documented as early as 1244 and 1330, when it was known as 'Boleton', meaning Bull farm. The farmhouse may have originated as a longhouse, although the existing dwelling is an early 19th century farmhouse and associated farm buildings. A later phase of development saw extra buildings added. Although some of these are now ruins, a number were substantially refurbished / rebuilt in the early 1990s as part of a management agreement.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 800 820
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBovey Tracey
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBOVEY TRACEY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SW/40
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 84445
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 84446
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 84447
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 84448

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Early Medieval - 1066 AD to 1399 AD (Between))

Full description

Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1932, The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two, 469 (Monograph). SDV337894.

Bullaton. Documented in 1244 and 1330, when the farm was known as ‘Boleton’, or Bull farm (assize Rolls and Lay Subsidy Rolls).


Express & Echo, 1984, Untitled Source (Article in Serial). SDV313964.

Dartmoor National Park Authority is to serve a Building Preservation Notice on this building which has an important roof and fine screen.


Thorp, J. + Cox, J., 1994, Bullaton Farm, Bovey Tracey, 3-16 (Report - Assessment). SDV347253.

Part of Bullaton farm, including the buildings was originally in the historic parish of Hennock before this area was reunited with the parish of Bovey Tracey in 1882. A detailed list of occupiers of the farm from the 15th to mid-17th centuries is included as an appendix to this report. This list is numerous, as many of the tenants at Bullaton appear to have been quite short-term. A detailed summary of these occupants is included here. In the 1890s part of the holding (nearly 109 acres, reducing the size of the farm to 150 acres) was compulsorily purchased in order to building the Trenchford Reservoir (1903-1907), the third in the area after Tottiford and Kennick Reservoirs. Details of the owners and sale particulars are also noted from the 20th century.
The refurbishment of the house and most probably the development of the farm buildings (barn/linhay, orchard linhay, pigsties and ash house) is thought to date to the early 19th century (perhaps around 1810-30). This would indicate the work was carried out by the Lovey family who owned and worked the farm from 1765-1748. This modernisation and development reflects a period of agricultural prosperity in Devon. Further developments including the small cart shed, the bullock shed, poultry houses, mash house, shippon, dung pit and trap appear to have taken place between 1840-1889, as the appear on the 1889 map, but are not shown on the Tithe Map of 1840.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 2003 - 2005, Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 2003-2005 (Report - Survey). SDV344545.

Farmstead included in survey. Visited on 29/08/2004.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV313964Article in Serial: Express & Echo. 1984. Express & Echo. Newspaper/Magazine Cuttin.
SDV337894Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1932. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. IX. A5 Hardback. 469.
SDV344545Report - Survey: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 2003 - 2005. Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 2003-2005. Dartmoor National Park Authority. Digital.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83406 ]
SDV347253Report - Assessment: Thorp, J. + Cox, J.. 1994. Bullaton Farm, Bovey Tracey. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K405. A4 Comb Bound. 3-16.

Associated Monuments

MDV37291Parent of: Ash house 40 meters north-east of Bullaton Farmhouse (Monument)
MDV37294Parent of: Bullaton farmhouse, Bovey Tracey (Building)
MDV42505Parent of: Cart shed 70 meters north-west of Bullaton Farmhouse (Monument)
MDV42504Parent of: Cattle shelter 40 meters north-east of Bullaton farmhouse (Monument)
MDV42502Parent of: Farm building 50 meters south-east of Bullaton Farmhouse (Building)
MDV42506Parent of: Linhay 60 meters north-west of Bullaton Farmhouse (Monument)
MDV37293Parent of: Linhays and barn north-west of Bullaton farmhouse (Building)
MDV42503Parent of: Mash house and root store 20 meters south-east of Bullaton Farmhouse (Building)
MDV42500Parent of: Pigsties 20 meters south-east of Bullaton Farmhouse (Building)
MDV80035Parent of: Poultry house 15 meters south-east of Bullaton farmhouse (Monument)
MDV37292Parent of: Rickstands 30 meters west of Bullaton farmhouse (Monument)
MDV42501Parent of: Shippon 40 meters south-east of Bullaton Farmhouse (Building)
MDV9384Related to: Trenchford Reservoir (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5065 - Assessment of buildings at Bullaton Farm, Bovey Tracey

Date Last Edited:Feb 19 2018 10:57AM