HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22537
Name:Launceston Branch of the South Devon Railway (Tavistock to Launceston)

Summary

Dismantled railway, opened in 1859. Tavistock and Launceston branch of the 19th century South Devon Railway was closed in 1962 (Thomas, 1981).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 493 792
Map Sheet:SX47NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBrentor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLAMERTON

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthwork remains of a section of the South Devon Railway and the London and South Western Railway lines at Wortha Mill
  • SHINE: Remains of the London and South Western and part of the South Devon Railways south of Mary Tavy Bridge as well as mine shafts from Wheal Friendship

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX 38 SW 23
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX48SE/32
  • Pastscape: 437152
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • RAILWAY (XIX to Mid 20th Century - 1859 AD to 1962 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Launceston Branch' of the 'G.W.R' or 'Great Western Railway' shown on 19th century map. Map object based on this source.

Thomas, D. St. J., 1973, A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Volume 1 The West Country, 120-123, 251 (Monograph). SDV363838.

(SX 330850 - SX 520566) A railway to Launceston had been mooted for several years, but following many acrimonious battles through Parliament, at first only the section South of Tavistock was constructed, by the South Devon Company, opening in 1859. It was built as a broad gauge railway, and joined the Plymouth and Exeter main line at Marsh Mills. The extension to Launceston, also broad gauge, was opened in 1865. In 1876 a third rail was added, and narrow gauge trains of the L S W R ran from Okehampton to Plymouth by this route until the opening of the Plymouth, Devonport and South Junction Railway in 1890. From 1883 the line operated from Yelverton to Princetown (the Princetown Railway, formerly Plymouth and Dartmoor Railway, SX56SW29), was replaced by narrow gauge track, and in effect became a branch of the Launceston line. Lydford to Launceston (North) closed in 1966, and the railway is now dismantled along its entire length. (See extent diagram).

Thomas, D. St. J., 1981, A Regional History of Railways of Great Britain, 120-1, 125 (Monograph). SDV168.

The Tavistock and Launceston branch of the South Devon Railway. Opened to Launceston on 1st June 1865. Closed 31st December 1962.

National Trust, 1984, Lydford Gorge, 6 (Report - Survey). SDV336885.

The National Trust owns a section of the old railway line at Westford Wood. The line was built by the South Devon and Tavistock company. This broad guage line between Plymouth and Tavistock was completed in 1859 and was later extended to Launceston through Mary Tavy and Lydford.trust).

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

'Dismantled Railway' shown on modern mapping along most of the former railway line. Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV168Monograph: Thomas, D. St. J.. 1981. A Regional History of Railways of Great Britain. A Regional History of Railways of Great Britain. 1. Unknown. 120-1, 125.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336885Report - Survey: National Trust. 1984. Lydford Gorge. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV363838Monograph: Thomas, D. St. J.. 1973. A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Volume 1 The West Country. A Regional History of Railways of Great Britain. 1. Unknown. 120-123, 251.

Associated Monuments

MDV57362Parent of: RAILWAY STATION in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV41312Parent of: SIGNAL POST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV41313Parent of: SIGNAL POST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV41314Parent of: SIGNAL POST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV41315Parent of: SIGNAL POST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV41316Parent of: SIGNAL POST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV41317Parent of: SIGNAL POST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV41318Parent of: SIGNAL POST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV41319Parent of: SIGNAL POST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV107333Related to: Burnford farmstead, Mary Tavy (Monument)
MDV113196Related to: Grendon Farm, Mary Tavy (Monument)
MDV22581Related to: London and South Western Railway (Dartmoor Section) (Monument)
MDV41308Related to: Milepost 160 metres north of Wortha Mill, Brentor (Monument)
MDV41310Related to: MILEPOST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV41311Related to: MILEPOST in the Parish of Brentor (Monument)
MDV102920Related to: Sluice at Head of Leat to Wortha Mill (Monument)
MDV22574Related to: Tavistock branch of the South Devon Railway (Tavistock to Yelverton) (Monument)
MDV102824Related to: Weir on River Burn to south of Wringworthy Farm, Mary Tavy (Monument)
MDV41305Related to: Wortha Mill leat (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 15 2020 11:30AM