HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22752
Name:Gunrow Signal Station

Summary

Remains of the 18th century site of Gunrow Signal Station

Location

Grid Reference:SX 544 459
Map Sheet:SX54NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNewton and Noss
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishREVELSTOKE

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Gunrow Signal Station, Napoleonic signal station on Gunrow's Down

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX54NW/29

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SIGNAL STATION (XVIII to XXI - 1701 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

1915, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177886.

'gunrow signal station' shown on os 6" (1915) and on os 6" 1954 (os).


SEE SX54NW/3, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177887.

This is the correct siting of gurnose signal station (see sx54nw/3) (collings).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177889.

Des=os 6"(1915).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177890.

Des=worksheet(collings 1984)in chivelstone parish file.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177891.

Des=batty,m. /(2003)/south devon coast path project: a study of the archaeology along the coast path in the south hams from staddon heights to sharkham point/ma dissertation/in smr.


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

A possible structure of the signal station is depicted on the 1841 Revelstoke tithe map.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Gunrow Signal Station is depicted on the First Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of between the 1880’s-90’s.


Russell, P., 1955, Fire Beacons in Devon, 296 (Article in Serial). SDV336138.

Admiralty flat signal station. Gurnose (Bigbury Bay). This would seem to be Gara Head above the entrance to the Yealm but neither the 1809 Ordnance Survey map nor Greenwoods map are of any help. In use during the Napoleonic Wars. Set up in 1773. Russell sites the map reference as SX528470.


Collings, A. G., 1984, Signal Station (Worksheet). SDV347210.

Remains of Admiralty Flat Signal Station, circa 1794. Walls still standin up to three feet high. Situated on highest ground above Signal House point. Russell appears to have mis-sited the Gurnose Signal Station. The Ordnance Survey second edition 6 inch map marks Gunrow Signal Station at this location.


Batty, M., 2003, South Devon Coast Path Project: a study of the archaeology along the coast path in the South Hams from Staddon Heights to Sharkham Point (Un-published). SDV336214.

Vis=20/8/2003 (batty) a stone built building (brick door and window facings) of an attractive type sitting within a perimeter wall on a raised platform. Internally a fireplace placed across se corner. Door on south side facing sea and to rear. Overall dimensions within perimeter walls approx 9m square. Walkway round building between it and perimeter wall. Building is rectangular (3m x 4m) with entrance lobby built on in rear nw corner. The building stands in a lofty position, just above and back from the coastal path. There is some blockwork repair to end of perimeter wall in nw corner (batty).


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


Pink, F., 2014-2015, South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment (Interpretation). SDV357736.

A possible small square building is illustrated within Plot 349 on the 1841 Revelstoke tithe map. In a similar position, the sites of 'Gunrow Signal Station' and a 'Flag Staff' are both depicted on the First Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of between the 1880’s-90’s and the Second Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of between 1904-06, although it is unclear which of these the possible structure may be associated with.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV177886Migrated Record: 1915.
SDV177887Migrated Record: SEE SX54NW/3.
SDV177889Migrated Record:
SDV177890Migrated Record:
SDV177891Migrated Record:
SDV336138Article in Serial: Russell, P.. 1955. Fire Beacons in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. 296.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336214Un-published: Batty, M.. 2003. South Devon Coast Path Project: a study of the archaeology along the coast path in the South Hams from Staddon Heights to Sharkham Point. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83450 ]
SDV347210Worksheet: Collings, A. G.. 1984. Signal Station. Worksheet.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV357736Interpretation: Pink, F.. 2014-2015. South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
Linked documents:1

Associated Monuments

MDV51621Related to: Second World War Observation Post on Gunrows Down, Newton and Noss (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 9 2015 10:19AM