HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22889
Name:William and Mary Mine, Gulworthy

Summary

William and Mary Mine is reputed to have been first worked in 1718. It worked, latterly as part of Devon and Cornwall United Mines, until 1871. Earthwork mine shafts, spoil heaps, trackways and associated structures were transcribed as part of the NMP survey of the Tamar Valley AONB.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 464 701
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/123

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MINE (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Jenkin, A. K. H., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV240158.

Said to have started in 1718, three adits used (jenkin).


OS 1971, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV256244.

William and mary mine. Copper disused (os 1971).


SX47SE/122, SX46NE/510, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV256245.

At the east end of same lode as george and charlotte(sx47se/122, sx46ne/510).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV256248.

Des=os 6" map/(1971).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV256249.

Jenkin, a. K. H. /mines of devon vol 1/(1974)33-34.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV256250.

Dines, h. G. /the metalliferous mining region of sw england/(1956)677.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV256251.

Des=os 6"(1907)111ne.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV256252.

Richardson, p. H. G. /british mining/44(1992)139/mines of dartmoor and the tamar valley after 1913/in smr.


Dines, H. G., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265453.

Part of devon and cornwall united mine 2 deep shafts and an adit. Technical, geological details given. Worked in mid-19th century too (dines).


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

William & Mary Mine (Copper, Disused) marked on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Cornwall Archaeological Unit, 2001-2002, Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme Transcriptions and Database Records, RAF/540/483/4242-3 (Interpretation). SDV346287.

Transcriptions of earthwork pits interpreted as mine shafts, spoil heap mounds, trackways and stonework visible on aerial photographs RAF/540/483/4242-3 correspond closely with a database record of an industrial complex at the disused William and Mary Mine south of Broadwell Farm. Further evidence of industrial activity, including probable shafts and tracks were visible up to 300m to the east in Broadwell Wood, and were probably part of the mine and are associated as child records.


Newman, P., 2011, Mining in the Tavy Valley, West Devon. An Assessment of Archaeological Potential, 42-3, Fig 8 (Report - Assessment). SDV347105.

William and Mary Mine is reputed to have been found in 1718. The mine worked east-west lodes that extended from the Tamar to the Tavy. The western Tamar sections were worked by George and Charlotte Mine while the eastern Tavy section was worked by William and Mary. The mines were amalgamated to form Devon and Cornwall United Mines in 1851 under which company they worked until 1871. Features of the mine are shown on a map of 1867 including a wheel pit on the east bank of the Tavy together with a footbridge across the river for access. The water wheel is considered to have provided power for all hoisting and pumping at the mine. Documentary and cartographic evidence suggest that likely surviving features potentially include the remains of an engine house, wheelpit, leatshafts, ancillary buildings and adits. Other details: No. 20.


Hegarty, C., Knight, S. and Sims, R., 2016, Backlog Recording of the Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme Survey (Personal Comment). SDV359374.

The aerial photograph reference given in the Tamar Valley NMP transcription attributes is incomplete; the date of the photograph is not included.


Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 211-23, Fig 6.69 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Wheal William and Mary worked the eastern end of the lode worked by Wheal George and Charlotte and is said to have been discovered in 1718, although the name implies earlier origins (pre-1695 seems possible). Multiple close-set shafts and an openwork on the steep valley side are remains of early 18th century activity; the later workings are centred on two deep shafts further up the hillside to the west. It is not known if the mine was worked again in the 17th century but there is a return from 1802.
Mentioned in 1818 in the Tavistock Canal Company Mining Report, although the working was abandoned again by 1821.
Mine was last worked on the 1840s-1860s during the mining boom as part of the Devon and Cornwall United sett, which included the George and Charlotte and Harewood concerns to the west. Mine was finally abandoned in 1872.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV240158Migrated Record: Jenkin, A. K. H..
SDV256244Migrated Record: OS 1971.
SDV256245Migrated Record: SX47SE/122, SX46NE/510.
SDV256248Migrated Record:
SDV256249Migrated Record:
SDV256250Migrated Record:
SDV256251Migrated Record:
SDV256252Migrated Record:
SDV265453Migrated Record: Dines, H. G..
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346287Interpretation: Cornwall Archaeological Unit. 2001-2002. Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme Transcriptions and Database Records. National Mapping Programme. Map (Digital). RAF/540/483/4242-3. [Mapped feature: #83482 ]
SDV347105Report - Assessment: Newman, P.. 2011. Mining in the Tavy Valley, West Devon. An Assessment of Archaeological Potential. SW Landscape Investigations Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 42-3, Fig 8.
SDV359374Personal Comment: Hegarty, C., Knight, S. and Sims, R.. 2016. Backlog Recording of the Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme Survey. Not Applicable.
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 211-23, Fig 6.69.

Associated Monuments

MDV52883Parent of: SHAFT in the Parish of Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV52884Parent of: SHAFT in the Parish of Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV5467Related to: George and Charlotte Mine (Monument)
MDV79970Related to: Leat through Point Wood, Whitchurch (Monument)
MDV22888Related to: Ley's Shaft, George and Charlotte Mine (Monument)
MDV79940Related to: Wheelpit on east bank of River Tavy, Whitchurch (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6911 - Tamar Valley National Mapping Programme

Date Last Edited:Nov 22 2018 4:39PM