HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV22908
Name:34 and 35 Chapel Street, Buckfastleigh

Summary

34 and 35 Chapel Street, with range of outbuildings to the rear, thought to date to the 1830s. Cartway gives access to the rear buildings. Rare survival of a range of late Victorian small-scale light industrial buildings in the town centre and an important example of rear plot development.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 738 661
Map Sheet:SX76NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBuckfastleigh
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKFASTLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76NW/83
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 392231

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Constructed, XIX - 1830 AD to 1839 AD (Between))
  • INDUSTRIAL BUILDING (Constructed, XIX - 1880 AD to 1889 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1985, Images of listed buildings in Buckfastleigh, 15/07/1985 (Photograph). SDV359974.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Nos.34 AND 35 Chapel Street (south side) and attached outbuildings to rear
Shown as 34, 35 and 36 (the latter the rear wing) on the Ordnance Survey map. Pair of houses dating to around the 1830s, one with some history of partial industrial use. No.34 in course of renovation at time of survey (1992). Colourwashed, stuccoed and blocked out, left end slate-hung. Slate roof, gabled at right end, half-hipped at left end; stacks with rendered shafts. Outbuildings to rear: formerly used as builder's yard, offices and store-rooms, approximately 1880s. Partly local grey limestone rubble with some brick, partly timber-framed and weatherboarded. Turnerised pegslate roof; stack with brick shaft. Plan: double-depth rectangular plan to main blocks with carriageway entrance to left. Outbuildings: U-plan range, the west range attached to rear wing of No.34, with a way through the south range to north end of the court. Parallel east and west ranges create a narrow walkway between. Cartway through front of house gave access from Fore Street.
EXTERIOR: three storeys. Asymmetrical four-window front. Adjacent, recessed front doors to left of centre, No.34 original with a door of six fielded panels and deep overlight with geometric glazing bars and margin panes. Door to No.35 has been glazed above the middle rail, plainer overlight. Both doors have stuccoed floating cornices on shallow stuccoed consoles and plain horizontal panels above the lintels. Blind windows above the doors. Segmental-headed carriageway to right with paired vertical boarded doors. Two ground-, three first- and four second-floor windows, mostly early 19th century 16-pane hornless sashes, except ground-floor left which has been altered to eight over 1-pane and a 20-pane timber sash to second floor right. Second-floor window left is a later horned 16-pane timber sash inserted into a loft opening made up of vertical boards. Wrought-iron bracket on front to support hanging sign which no longer exists. Rear elevation of No.34 has slate-hung second floor, one ground and one first-floor sash window and a section of brick walling above the cartway. The rear wing has two front doors, one ground floor 16-pane sash and two-light casements elsewhere. Outbuildings: west and east ranges have weatherboarded first floors to the courtyard and set of two- and three-light mullioned windows with lapped glass. The west range has a lower roofline than the house. West wall stone rubble. Ground floor has two doorways and one window. First floor has one window and a loft doorway with 20th century door. East range has a brick east wall; two ground- and two first-floor windows; three windows on first floor east side. South range, parallel to the house, opening onto yard at south end of the complex, is stone rubble with brick dressings, roof hipped at west end, half-hipped at right end. South side has an outshut to left with catslide roof, archway through to yard alongside and one ground- and one first-floor boarded window. Right end corner canted with windows.
INTERIORS: houses not inspected but may retain features of interest. Outbuildings: plain and functional with exposed joists and 19th century tie beam trusses with iron King-posts. A rare survival of a group of late Victorian small-scale light industrial buildings in the centre of a town. Also an important example of rear plot development in a town that retains its medieval layout of long rear plots behind the houses fronting the main street. Other details: Listed Building number: 392231.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83487 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV359974Photograph: Department of Environment. 1985. Images of listed buildings in Buckfastleigh. Photograph (Paper). 15/07/1985.

Associated Monuments

MDV22909Related to: 38 and 39 Chapel Street (formerly the Golden Lion Inn), Buckfastleigh (Building)
MDV108576Related to: Bossell Terrace, Buckfastleigh (Building)
MDV108624Related to: Masonic Hall on Bossell Road, Buckfastleigh (Building)
MDV108640Related to: Outbuilding behind the Globe Inn, Buckfastleigh (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 6 2017 12:20PM