HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2308
Name:Greenwell farmhouse, Meavy

Summary

Circa late 16th century with 19th century farmhouse with additions and alterations. Granite rubble walls, rendered to 19th century block. Slate roof hipped to right-hand end of original house, gabled to 19th century part. Rendered probably stone rubble axial stack to original house with brick shaft; two gable end rendered stacks to 19th century part.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 534 659
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMeavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEAVEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NW/9

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (XVI - 1550 AD to 1599 AD (Between))

Full description

Copeland, G. W., 1945, Fourteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 122 (Article in Serial). SDV339003.

Greenwell. L-shaped house, originally a dartmoor longhouse. There are 16th century remains. Its chief feature is a rectangular projection on the west side of the kitchen, which contains a semi-circular stone staircase at the foot of which is a four centred chamfered doorway, of granite and lighted by a small original single light. The dairy retains two small wall recesses, and a small original granite single light.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England, 1105438 (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

MEAVY SX 56 NV 4/96 Greenwell Farmhouse- II
Farmhouse. Circa late C16 with C19 addition and alterations. Granite rubble walls, rendered to C19 block. Slate roof hipped to right-hand end of original house, gabled to C19 part. Rendered probably stone rubble axial stack to original house with brick shaft; 2 gable end rendered stacks to C19 part. Originally either 3-room-and-through-passage plan or a longhouse - the lower end has been demolished so its original function cannot be precisely known. What survives is the passage with the hall to its right containing an axial fireplace backing onto the passage. At the rear of the hall the newel stairs are contained in a projection. The inner room has remained unheated and was converted into a dairy probably in the C19. In the mid to late C19 the lower end was replaced by a square addition at right angles of 2 rooms, one a parlour to the left and the other a kitchen with a double fireplace -one probably housed the range while the other had an open fire. The old house was at this stage probably relegated to inferior service purposes. A new staircase was inserted in the passage. In the late C19 an outshut was added at the rear of the hall and inner room. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2 window front to the old house with the new block built at right angles at the left end. On the ground floor is a 4-light probably C19 casement at the centre which has been re-used from another house. C20 2-light casement to the left. The 1st floor window are late C20 P.V.C. casements - 1-light to the left under a gabled dormer and 4-light to the right. At the left-hand side is a hipped porch with original 4-centred granite arched doorway, chamfered with pyramid stops and foliage carved spandrels. This has probably been re-used from the front of the passage. C19 plank door to front of passage. The front wall of the house incorporates several pieces of granite mullion windows. The C19 block faces to the left at right angles to the old house with a ymmetrical 2 window front of late C20 p.v.c. casements. At the rear of the original house is rectangular stair projection with another shallow one to its right almost up to the eaves level whose purpose is unclear although it looks almost like the remains of a chimney stack. The wall to its right adjoining the C19 addition appears to have been considerably rebuilt. To the left of the stair projection is a circa late C19 lean-to behind which, on the rear wall of the house, is a chamfered granite framed light to the former inner room. To its right a doorway has been inserted. Interior: the hall has one exposed cross beam which is chamfered with run-out stops; the joists exist but are concealed. There is a granite 4-centred arched doorway to the newel stairs which is chamfered with pyramid stops. The stone newel stairs are preserved. The hall fireplace although blocked is likely to be granite framed. The dairy retains its slate shelves. A fire circa 100 years ago makes it unlikely that the original roof timbers are preserved.
Listing NGR: SX5347465945

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339003Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1945. Fourteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 77. A5 Hardback. 122.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #83643 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website. 1105438.

Associated Monuments

MDV107519Part of: Greenwell farmstead, Meavy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 12 2014 2:38PM