HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23097
Name:3 Market Street, Tavistock

Summary

House with shop, 16th century, with early 17th century additions; altered in the late 17th or early 18th century, and again in the early 19th century. Left-hand section originally part of Number 4.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 480 744
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/171
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 93447

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XV to XIX - 1500 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 06/08/1991, Tavistock (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350255.

Description amended.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Shown as part of a larger building on 19th century map with a small L-shaped yard in the centre.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Shown as part of a larger building on early 20th cenhtury map with a small square yard in the centre.


Department of Environment, 1983, Tavistock (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV272550.

Number 3 Market Street in Tavistock was built in the late 18th or early 19th century. Projecting three-storey, two window front of slate-hanging similar to Number 2 Market Street. The second floor windows are sashes with flush frames. Other windows altered. Shopfront has original cornice with mutules and Tuscan half columns.


Tavistock Times, 1987, Ancient Wall Halts Shop Alterations (Article in Serial). SDV361561.

A plan to carry out major alterations to a shop in Tavistock, which would mean the destruction of a medieval interior wall, has run into opposition from Devon County Council's historic building adviser.

Medieval interior wall is 3ft thick and runs the length of the building. Company was prepared to retain 17th century plasterwork in the shop, which is rare in Tavistock.


Exeter Archaeology, 1997, Archaeological Assessment of Tavistock Sewer Overflows Scheme, 5 (Report - Assessment). SDV344347.


West Devon Borough Council, 2009, Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan, 4, 27-28 (Report - non-specific). SDV351411.

There are a number of buildings in Market Street which date to the 16th or 17th centuries, where a detailed archaeological evaluation will be required before any work can be contemplated.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Number 3 Market Street in Tavistock, formerly listed as No 3 (Viner and Carew). House with shop, the left-hand section originally part of Number 4 Market Street. Built in the 16th century with early 17th century additions; altered in the late 17th or early 18th century, and again in the early 19th century. Timber-framed front covered with slate-hanging. Slate roof. Small rendered chimney to left of ridge. Plan: The left-hand section is itself in two builds, the front part being an early 17th century addition (perhaps an entrance porch) to the 16th century house behind. The right-hand section seems to be entirely an early 17th century addition, probably designed as a separate house. Rear wing with lean-to roof. Exterior: three storeys with garret. Two windows wide with one window in exposed portion of side-wall to right. Ground storey has slightly projecting late 19th or early 20th century shop front which overlaps the shop front at Number 2. This has thin fluted attached columns at either side of entrance. Entablature with fluted band at top of frieze; moulded and reeded cornice; the whole returned round right side-wall. The original shop front finished at the stone centre-wall and has later been extended to the left, but without the entablature. Upper storeys hung with deep, broad slates, the vertical joints covered with narrow slates which form long strips from shop front to eaves. Flush-framed windows with 8-paned sashes. At the top is a plank band, two planks high, probably replacing an earlier eaves-cornice. Interior: was in course of alteration when inspected in May 1991. Most features of historic interest were being retained, though not necessarily exposed to view; the centre portion of the stone centre wall was being removed on the ground storey. At the front of the ground storey on the right-hand side is an ovolo-moulded wooden post set against the stone centre-wall and tenoned at the top into a mutilated ovolo-moulded beam which spans the whole front. The post has a mortice for a horizontal timber and the beam has the blocked mortice.of a former post, suggesting a former window about 1.17 metres wide. Above the beam are original, plain waney joists, projecting to form a jetty of about 30 centimetres. These did not carry the upper-floor structure; instead this rested on a second beam immediately in front of them, supported at the left-hand end by a free-standing post (which still survived in 1991). In the l9th century a new front was added enclosing the earlier posts and jetty within the shop. The upper floor has a fireplace with chamfered, monolithic granite jambs and lintel, the whole disguised by a wooden bolection-moulded chimneypiece. Room has a small, moulded plaster cornice, this breaking forward above the left end of the chimney breast, as if over a pilaster. At the rear is a wooden, open-well staircase of the late 17th or early 18th century, rising to the garret; it must originally have descended to the ground storey. It has closed moulded strings, symmetrical turned balusters; square newels with flat moulded caps and a moulded hand rail with a slightly pointed top; some balusters have been replaced, either with thick square ones or turned ones of an older l7th century design. The left-hand section (originally part of Number 4) has in the rear of the ground storey a chamfered half-beam with lodged joists along the stone centre-wall. At the front it is jettied out over what seems to be the dressed stone jamb of the original front door. Butting against this is a later beam arrangement, including the chamfered and stopped joist-ends of a former jetty. Upon these rests a hollow and bead-moulded beam with chamfered studs rising from it into the upper storey. These, and the beams above and below them, are grooved front and back, the front grooves carrying the remains of wooden panels. At the rear of the upper floor is the end of a ceiling-beam moulded with a half-round and two hollows, probably of early or mid 16th century date; it protrudes through the party-wall into Number 4 without stops. The roof over this section has not been converted into a garret; it can be seen that the chimney has a weathering, suggesting the building has been heightened by a storey.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV272550List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1983. Tavistock. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83661 ]
SDV344347Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 1997. Archaeological Assessment of Tavistock Sewer Overflows Scheme. Exeter Archaeology Report. 97.02. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.
SDV350255List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 06/08/1991. Tavistock. Amendment to List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interes. A4 Stapled.
SDV351411Report - non-specific: West Devon Borough Council. 2009. Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan. West Devon Borough Council Report. a4 Stapled + Digital. 4, 27-28.
SDV361561Article in Serial: Tavistock Times. 1987. Ancient Wall Halts Shop Alterations. Tavistock Times. Photocopy + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV23096Related to: 2 Market Street, Tavistock (Building)
MDV23098Related to: 4 Market Street, Tavistock (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4597 - Assessment of Tavistock Sewer Overflow Scheme

Date Last Edited:Jul 12 2018 3:52PM