HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23113
Name:The Vicarage, Plymouth Road, Tavistock

Summary

Early 19th century vicarage. L-shaped house of coursed rubble, the south-west front slate hung.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 480 743
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/187
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 93473

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (Early, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Alford, D. P., 1890, The Inscribed Stones in the Vicarage Garden, Tavistock, 230 (Article in Serial). SDV346180.

The vicarage was built in 1818, and the first of the inscribed stones was set up in the place it now occupies at the south-west corner of the house.


Devon County Council, 1975, Tavistock Town Walk, 91 (Article in Monograph). SDV352474.


Department of Environment, 1983, Tavistock, 29 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV272550.

Early 19th century. L-shaped house of two storeys, seven windows in all. Coursed rubble, the south-west front slate hung. Parapet. End quoins and pilasters. Sashes with glazing bars intact. Doorcase in angle of the L.


Okehampton Times, 1985, What the Victorians Threw Away in the Vicarage Gardens (Article in Serial). SDV361560.

Archaeologists keeping an eyey on the building of the new church hall in Tavistock Vicarage gardens did not find any medieval remains. But they did come across some rather interesting glassware.

The discovery was made on a Victorian rubbish tip found on the corner of the building site. Managed to salvage about two dozen whole items. They included Victorian medicine bottles, jars and pots. One was an old Bovril jar and another was a very pretty fluted bottle. Several dozen fragments of broken pottery were also collected.

Also discovered cobbled floors of the former stables and a 150 year old drain shaft.


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1991, Archaeological Assessment of Four Areas of Land Adjoining the River Tavy and Plymouth Road, Tavistock, 4; figure 2 (Report - Assessment). SDV256444.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV256444Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1991. Archaeological Assessment of Four Areas of Land Adjoining the River Tavy and Plymouth Road, Tavistock. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 91.33. A4 Stapled + Digital. 4; figure 2.
SDV272550List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1983. Tavistock. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 29.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83678 ]
SDV346180Article in Serial: Alford, D. P.. 1890. The Inscribed Stones in the Vicarage Garden, Tavistock. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 22. A5 Hardback. 230.
SDV352474Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tavistock Town Walk. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 91.
SDV361560Article in Serial: Okehampton Times. 1985. What the Victorians Threw Away in the Vicarage Gardens. Okehampton Times. Photocopy + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV123097Related to: Canal Bridge at the rear of the Vicarage, Tavistock (Monument)
MDV124531Related to: Canal Bridge, Tavistock Town (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 4 2018 11:58AM