HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23170
Name:The Queen's Head Hotel, 80 West Street, Tavistock

Summary

Eighteenth century three storey building, remodelled circa 1840. It has a wide central doorcase with a four centred arch and a canopy of cast iron and glass. It was built on the site of Crosses House which dated to at least 1715. Previously called Browns Hotel.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 480 744
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/243
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 93535

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOTEL (Built, XVIII - 1701 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Queen's Head Hotel' marked.
Map object based on this source.

Department of Environment, 1983, Tavistock, 51 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV272550.

Queens Head Hotel, 80 West Street, 18th century, re-modelled circa 1840. Three storeys, three windows stucco front. Slate roof. Modillion eaves cornice. Sash windows with shutters to upper floors. Wide central doorcase with four centred arch and canopy of cast iron and glass. Eighteenth century staircase with three turned balusters to each step.

The Tavistock and District Local History Society, 1994, About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks, 60 (Monograph). SDV354806.

The present building was built on the site of Crosses House, which had been in existence since at least 1715. Crosses House and the adjacent property were demolished by the Duke of Bedford in 1826 and rebuilt to be re-opened as the New Queen's Head in 1827. The 'New' was subsequently dropped.

Google, 2012, Google Streetview (Website). SDV348799.

Shown as 'Browns Hotel'.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.

2014, Planning and Heritage Statement, Former Browns Hotel, Tavistock (Report - non-specific). SDV363406.

Design, access and heritage statement prepared in support for a planning application for alterations and extentions to the former Browns Hotel. The three storey Georgian hotel is on a site formerly occupied by an earlier coaching inn, the buildings of which are shown on a map of the Bedford Estate dated 1752. This was built around a Roman well, considered to be a holy well by the monks of Tavistock Abbey. It is suggested that the hotel may have been built soon after the map was drawn up. It was extended circa 1840 with the addition of two blocks at the rear forming a narrow courtyard where the well is located. At the rear of the site is a stable block bearing the date 1898. This was remodelled in 1994 when a new building was added. The courtyard was also resurfaced with small cobbles at this time. No archaeological remains were recorded during the excavations for these works.

Cooke, P., 2015, The Queens Head, West Street, Tavistock, Devon: Results of an Archaeological Trench Evaluation. (Report - Evaluation). SDV358596.

An archaeological trench evaluation was carried out by AC archaeology in advance of construction of an
extension, and other associated works, to the Queens Head, Tavistock. The results of the evaluation show that there has been significant truncation of the ground level within the site, and no archaeological deposits or features were exposed, and there is no potential for the survival of below-ground archaeological remains within the outside spaces.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV272550List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1983. Tavistock. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 51.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348799Website: Google. 2012. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.
SDV354806Monograph: The Tavistock and District Local History Society. 1994. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. A5 Paperback. 60.
SDV358596Report - Evaluation: Cooke, P.. 2015. The Queens Head, West Street, Tavistock, Devon: Results of an Archaeological Trench Evaluation.. AC Archaeology. ACD1091/3/0. Digital.
SDV363406Report - non-specific: 2014. Planning and Heritage Statement, Former Browns Hotel, Tavistock. K. D. Paine & Associates Ltd. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV127099Related to: Well at the Queens Head Hotel, 80 West Street, Tavistock (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6776 - Archaeological Trench Evaluation at The Queen's Head Tavistock (Ref: ACD1091)

Date Last Edited:Dec 18 2019 10:45AM