HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23172
Name:Corn Market, West Street, Tavistock

Summary

Former corn market, built in 1835. Upper floor is of squared rubble with granite windows openings and sash windows, lower floor (originally open) has granite Doric columns.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 480 744
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/245
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 93537

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MARKET HALL (Early, XIX - 1835 AD to 1835 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Corn Market' shown as a rectangular building at the junction of West Street and Lower Back Street (later King Street).


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 170, 172 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

The earliest market probably occupied the area bounded by King Street and Market Street. By the 18th century there were Higher and Lower Market Houses and the street names such as Barley Street and Butcher Street give the locations of specialist market areas. The process of centralisation of market activities began in 1835 with the construction of the Corn market and in 1860 the New Market was built. Today this is the site of the historic pannier market, which has been carried on in Tavostock for some 870 years.


Department of Environment, 1983, Tavistock, 51 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV272550.


The Tavistock and District Local History Society, 1994, About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks, 13, 27, 49, 61 Photo (Monograph). SDV354806.

The mid 19th century saw a major redevelopment of Tavistock take place as the 7th Duke of Bedford ploughed back some of his huge profits from mining enterprises into new buildings, including The Cornmarket, built in 1837 on the site of the Green Dragon.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Cook Stores (hardware), formerly listed as Old Corn Market. Built as a Corn Market by the Duke of Bedford in 1835. Two storeys. Upper floor is of squared rubble with granite windows openings and sash windows. Lower floor (originally open) has granite Doric columns. Hipped slate roof. King Street elevation has eight bays with incised lettering to entablature.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV272550List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1983. Tavistock. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 51.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 170, 172.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83739 ]
SDV354806Monograph: The Tavistock and District Local History Society. 1994. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. A5 Paperback. 13, 27, 49, 61 Photo.

Associated Monuments

MDV21701Related to: Higher Market House, Tavistock (Building)
MDV21702Related to: Lower Market House, Tavistock (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 20 2019 10:13AM