HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2328
Name:Church of St Mary, Walkhampton

Summary

Parish church. Circa late 15th and 16th century with addition of 1832. Walls are of granite rubble with granite ashlar to the lower and upper stages of the tower, and the south aisle. Despite a relatively plain interior this Church has not suffered greatly from restoration externally and has a very considerable landscape value occupying an elevated position which makes it prominent on all sides from some distance. Its isolated position, away from the village and formerly with only the Church house in close proximity, is a matter for some conjecture but adds to its interest.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 536 701
Map Sheet:SX57SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWalkhampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615602
  • National Monuments Record: SX57SW85
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57SW/44
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (First mentioned, XIII to XVI - 1259 AD to 1599 AD (Between))

Full description

Clarke, K. M., 1922 - 1923, Porch Fireplaces in Devon Churches, 2 (Article in Serial). SDV346053.

There are indications there once may have been a porch fireplace, in which case its chief purpose would probably have been ritualistic.

Fryer Cornelius, C., 1952, Ancient Churches of the Tavistock Deanery, Devon, 47-72, plate (Article in Serial). SDV18005.

Fully aisled nave. Has a recess which appears to have been originally a squint. Tower of w Devon type. Original wagon-roofs plaster-ceiled. Piscinae in east and north aisle, and south chancel chapel. Font octagonal, of Rodborough stone, bearing shields, 16th century.

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 511 (Monograph). SDV17562.

Parish church. 15th to 16th century building. It fell into ruin after the reformation - about 1600. South aisle was rebuilt.

Griffith, F. M., 1988, DAP/JV, 6,6a (Aerial Photograph). SDV242037.

Department of Environment, 1988, Walkhampton, 57 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV11886.

Church of St. Mary. Circa late 15th century and 16th century with addition of 1832. Walls are of granite rubble with granite ashlar to the lower and upper stages of the tower, and the south aisle. Gable ended slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. It is possible that the nave and chancel are pre-15th century but there is no evidence of pre-perpendicular work.

Waterhouse, R. E., 1991, The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey, 5 (Report - Survey). SDV7736.

Walkhampton church is rather unusual, being situated on top of a hill, about half a mile north of its village. Has a slender pinnacled tower and granite ashlar nave and south aisle.

Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Depicted on the modern mapping.

English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

WALKHAMPTON SX 57 SW 13/118 Church of St. Mary 21.3.1967 GV I
Parish church. Circa late C15 and C16 with addition of 1832. Walls are of granite rubble with granite ashlar to the lower and upper stages of the tower, and the south aisle. Gable ended slate roofs.
Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. It is possible that the nave and chancel are pre-C15 but there is no evidence of pre- Perpendicular work. The north aisle is the earlier dating from the Circa late C15 and the south porch and tower may be contemporary. The south aisle is considerably later and probably post-reformation. The vestry was added at the east end of the north aisle in 1832 in memory of William Alexander brother of the then curate and son of D.A. Alexander, the architect of Dartmoor Prison. The Church was restored in 1860. Imposing 3-stage battlemented tower with very tall octagonal crocketted pinnacles. Diagonal buttresses. Large 2-light belfry openings with simple tracery. Richly moulded acute 4-centred arched west doorway with arched hoodmould built of Roborough stone. Large west window of 3-lights with Perpendicular tracery. Above the belfry opening on this side a gargoyle projects on a very long neck. Pentagonal stair turret on north-west corner of tower with small bulls-eye lights. The north aisle has 4 windows, all original of 3-lights with cinquefoiled heads - the central light slightly taller; alternating with buttresses. Small gabled vestry at the east end of the aisle re-uses a narrow 2-light window with curvilinear tracery, possibly from the chancel. The east window and east window on the south aisle (which is smaller) are both 3-light with Perpendicular tracery of Roborough stone and granite jambs. Beside the south aisle window is a wall memorial of 1802 to Peter Holmes and his 2 wives. The south aisle has 4 3-light very late Perpendicular windows with roundheaded lights. The aisle incorporates a corner buttress of the 1 storey south porch which pre-dates it and has a heavily moulded 4-centred arched doorway of Roborough stone with a quatrefoil in each spandrel and square hoodmould.
Interior: The south doorway is granite heavily moulded with 4-centred arch. The Church had the plaster stripped off its internal walls in 1912 which unfortunately caused the destruction of some painted scripture and the removal of several C17 wall memorials, one of which, to Richard Attwell, is lying in the churchyard. The 2 arcades differ significantly:- that to the north aisle is of Roborough stone with Pevsner A-type piers, moulded cup capitals and bases, and double-chamfered depressed 4-centred arches. The south arcade is also 4 bays but starts to the east of the porch - which pre-dates it and continues across the chancel. It. is constructed of granite with similar arches but slightly different piers and capitals to the north arcade. Good tower arch moulded and rebated in moulded surround it rests on corbel heads representing a man and a woman. No chancel arch but vestiges of a springing suggest it once existed. At the east end of the north aisle is a low arched recess into which a cinquefoil-headed piscina has been inserted - possibly a vestige of an earlier building. The wagon roofs are all ceiled and probably C19 or C20. The font cover, pulpit, reredos. reading desk and choir stalls are of quite a good quality and were made by Rev. Charles Walker who died 1909. The stained glass is C20. Probably C15 octagonal font of Roborourgh stone with raised shields on panels of bowl.
Despite a relatively plain interior this Church has not suffered greatly from restoration externally and has a very considerable landscape value occupying an elevated position which makes it prominent on all sides from some distance. Its isolated position, away from the village and formerly with only the Church house in close proximity, is a matter for some conjecture but adds to its interest.

Hamilton-Leggett, P., 2016, A Brief Guide to St. Mary the Virgin, Walkhampton (Leaflet). SDV363907.

Church at Walkhampton first mentioned in 1259. Document from 1342 mentions the need for rebuilding, as well as later (19th century) appeals for assistance, due to the 'ruinous' condition of the church. Good summary of the church provided.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV11886List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Walkhampton. Historic Houses Register. 57.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 511.
SDV18005Article in Serial: Fryer Cornelius, C.. 1952. Ancient Churches of the Tavistock Deanery, Devon. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 15. Unknown. 47-72, plate.
SDV242037Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1988. DAP/JV. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 6,6a.
SDV346053Article in Serial: Clarke, K. M.. 1922 - 1923. Porch Fireplaces in Devon Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 12. Unknown. 2.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #83816 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV7736Report - Survey: Waterhouse, R. E.. 1991. The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.

Associated Monuments

MDV99776Related to: Attwell head and footstone in churchyard of St Mary, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV101008Related to: Beech headstone in churchyard of St Mary, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV99775Related to: Chest tomb in churchyard of St Mary, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV3607Related to: Church House, Walkhampton (Building)
MDV101006Related to: Creber headstone in churchyard of St Mary, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV99769Related to: Crossman headstone in churchyard of St Mary, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV101009Related to: 'Light' head and footstone in churchyard of St Mary, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV2329Related to: Memorial stone south of church, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV99766Related to: Pair of Creber headstones in churchyard of St Mary, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV99763Related to: Steps and former stile, on path leading to Church, Walkhampton (Monument)
MDV49454Related to: The Old Rectory, Walkhampton (Building)
MDV128979Related to: Walkhampton Church Way (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 20 2020 10:02AM