HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23312
Name:Barn at Higher Headborough Farm, Ashburton

Summary

Probable threshing barn to the east of Higher Headborough Farmhouse, probably constructed in the late 16th century, with alterations in the 18th or 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 750 703
Map Sheet:SX77SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SE/92
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 376069

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • THRESHING BARN (XVI to XVIII - 1550 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

Barn depicted on the Tithe Map of 1840 at 'Headboro' to the west of 'Lower Headborough', with the associated farmhouse and barn existing today and the non-listed structure south of the granary.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building shown on 19th century map at 'Higher Headborough' with a further extension to the south-east.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building at 'Higher Headborough' shown on early 20th century map with the extension to the south-east remaining.


Parker, R. W., 2001, Archaeological Recording (Phase 1) of barn at Higher Headborough Farm, Ashburton, 7-8 (Report - Survey). SDV291045.

The barn at Higher Headborough, known as the 'Tythe Barn', was constructed as a substantial, prestigious building, with many features included to make an impression. Documentary research may prove whether or not the building was used for the collection of tithes. The basic fabric of the barn appears to be 15th or 16th century in date; based on the shoulder-headed doorway. The wing to the south of the barn may be similar in date, although it is not easily dated and appears to be of a different construction from the main body of the barn. Major rebuilding has occurred to this building and at some point most of the south wall has been replaced, possibly in the 18th century, when a new roof was added. This roof appears to have caused some stress to the walls and parts of them have been rebuilt, probably in the 19th century. Further alterations took place in the 20th century.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Barn; probably a former threshing-barn. Late Medieval in date, altered in the 18th or 19th century. Constructed of stone rubble and cob, with a corrugated-iron roof. Late Medieval shouldered-head doorway in northern wall and two wider, probably later, openings in the southern wall. Other details: Listed on 10th May 1973 with Building Number: 376069.


Chapman, S., 2013, Higher Headborough: Statement of Historical Significance (Report - Assessment). SDV352052.

Late Medieval barn at Higher Headborough farm altered in the 18th to 19th century. The barn is aligned north-west to south-east to the east of the farmhouse and of granite and cob costruction. The southern side of the barn opens onto the farm courtyard with a shorter wing projecting into the courtyard at the eastern end. The barn has eight A frame roof timbers and a corrugated iron roof which were substantially damaged by fire in 1982. The opening at the west end of the barn is surmounted by a substantial curved Late Medieval timber beam. The other opening has dressed granite stonework on either side opposite which is a shuttered window opening onto the road. This window appears to be an insertion into an earlier larger opening. Internally the barn has been subdivided at the western end at ground floor level. The eastern end of the barn is partially open and of modern construction.
The building may have been a tithe barn but no clear evidence has been found. Headborough had been owned by the Palk family of Haldon from at least the early 18th century and then through marriage to the Carews of Haccombe. Higher Headborough is historically significant to the status and wealth of one of the most eminent families in Devon and in the rise and fall of the 18th and 19th century woollen and clothing industries in Ashburton.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV291045Report - Survey: Parker, R. W.. 2001. Archaeological Recording (Phase 1) of barn at Higher Headborough Farm, Ashburton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 01.14. A4 Comb Bound. 7-8.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83848 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV352052Report - Assessment: Chapman, S.. 2013. Higher Headborough: Statement of Historical Significance. Evolve Business Consultancy Ltd. A4 Spiral Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV77080Part of: Higher Headborough, Ashburton (Monument)
MDV80005Related to: Granary, Higher Headborough Farm, Ashburton (Building)
MDV29214Related to: Higher Headborough Farmhouse, Ashburton (Building)
MDV90468Related to: Linhay 20 metres north-west of Higher Headborough Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5037 - Recording at Higher Headborough Farm, Ashburton
  • EDV6226 - Higher Headborough Barn: Statement of Historical Significance

Date Last Edited:Jun 9 2016 11:16AM