HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23390
Name:White Cottage, Belle Parade, Crediton

Summary

Early 18th century house of cob and thatch, with late 19th century brick extensions and alterations.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 834 003
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/87
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 386953

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Parade Cottage' shown.


Department of Environment, 1972, Urban District of Crediton, 2 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV39769.

White Cottage and garden wall to south of White Cottage. Eighteenth century or earlier, altered, two storey cob house, attractive front, four first floor sash windows with glazing bars including two with flush frames, facing Newcombes Meadow. Rendered brick crinkle crankle wall, south, with rounded cope.


Devon County Council Conservation Section, 1976, Untitled Source, Film 185 (Ground Photograph). SDV350781.


Mid Devon District Council, 2003, Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal, Sections 2, 5. (Report - non-specific). SDV345978.

The style and craftmanship of Dart and Francis, of Crediton, is visible.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

House. Early C18, perhaps a recasting of an earlier building, with c.1890s extension and alterations for Mr. Francis of Dart and Francis, a local building firm. Roughcast cob, the 1890s addition at the right (west) end roughcast brick; thatched roof with a scalloped ridge, half hipped at left end, gabled at right end. Stacks with modern brick shafts.
Plan: Single depth plan, 4 rooms wide.The left hand end was added in brick in 1896 (information from the owner). A small former stable adjoins the right end with a late C19 drawing office added in front of it for Mr Francis of Dart and Francis.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4 window garden (south) front, the right hand addition slightly set back with a different eaves line, the left hand end also with a different eaves line. The thatch eaves have a gutter carried on moulded timber brackets, probably 1896, eaves thatch eyebrowed over the outer first floor windows with applied timber framing above the windows. The centre block has an enclosed lean-to porch to right of centre with a slate roof and c.1940s iron frame glazed door.Small c.1900 window alongside to the right with margin panes, 16-pane sash with timber shutters to the left. These 2 windows are beneath a glazed verandah on a cast iron column with a lapped glass roof. To the right a large round-headed French window with small panes and margin lights. This is also under a glazed roof between the porch and the drawing office, which projects to the front at the right end. 3 16-pane first floor sashes. The addition to the right has one ground and one first floor 2-light 1896 casement with 3 panes per light. The thatched stable at the right end has a 2-light loft window with the thatch eyebrowed over it. The rear elevation to Belle Parade breaks forward at the right end (the 1986 addition). This contains a re-sited C18 pedimented doorcase with panelled pilasters and good carved detail and a 6-panel door, the bottom panels flush. To the left, in the main block,a 2-light moulded mullion and transom window, probably 1896 with co-eval stained glass and an C18 entablature and pediment above on moulded brackets. To the left, on the first floor a good early C18 24-pane sash with thick glazing bars and one opening pane. The stable block, to the left, is lit by a 5-light ribbon window on the ground floor with a small 2-light casement to the loft. To the right of the rear a tall rendered garden wall with slate coping contains an 2-centred arch doorway with a boarded door.
Interior: Early features include a stick baluster stair with a mahogany handrail, a very large panelled C18 door (possibly re-used) to the ground floor right hand room and a couple of early C18 re-sited 2-panel doors. Old roof timbers said to survive. Dart and Francis were primarily church builders in the late C19 and undertook major commissions for Caroe, among others, and worked outside the county and abroad. It is likely that Mr Francis remodelled the whole house here as well as possibly adding the sympathetic addition at the west end.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV345978Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2003. Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. Sections 2, 5..
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #83889 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350781Ground Photograph: Devon County Council Conservation Section. 1976. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. Photograph (Paper). Film 185.
SDV39769List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Urban District of Crediton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 2.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 30 2013 12:19PM