HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23422
Name:Pownes House, 52 High Street, Crediton

Summary

Town house, circa 1740, with a finely-detailed and very unaltered five-bay front, the centre three bays slightly broken forward. Good interior with some original chimney pieces and joinery.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 829 003
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/119
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 387021

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII - 1701 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1972, Urban District of Crediton, 16 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV39769.

No 52, High Street. Good 18th century house, possibly earlier than the 1743 fire, 2 storey, 5 windows, brick front, painted, sash windows in wide flush frames, those to first floor having thick bars. Keystones. Bracket eaves cornice. Multular doric doorcase with pediment, fluted pilasters and triglyphs. Eight-panel door. Cobbles in front. Railings removed new tiles to roof.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 298 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Mid Devon District Council, 2003, Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal, Section 2 (Report - non-specific). SDV345978.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Town house. Circa 1740. Flemish bond brick to the front elevation, the joints with traces of red mortar but no clear evidence of tuck pointing, English bond brick to the rear; roofed with small tiles, probably replacing slate; stacks with brick shafts with corbelled caps. Plan: Double depth, 2 rooms wide, with a wide central stair hall. Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Finely-detailed and very unaltered 5-bay front, the centre 3 bays slightly broken forward. 2 granite steps up to front door with 8 fielded panels. Pedimented doorcase with fluted pilasters, a triglyph frieze and mutules to the pediment. All windows have moulded flush frames and flat guaged brick arches with projecting keyblocks. Original 12-pane sashes throughout, including some panes of crown glass. First floor sashes have thick glazing bars.The rear elevation has a fine rear door, the top panels glazed, with curving panels below the middle rail. One original 12-pane flush frame sash with a segmental head to ground floor left. Other windows are timber sashes and casements, mostly in original embrasures with two blocked windows. Flat roofed projecting rear right bay with 3-round headed glazed 2-pane doors with transoms. Interior: Good interior. Fine open well stair with an open string turned balusters with square necking, shaped brackets and a dado with fielded panels with a moulded rail. Joinery includes deep skirtings panelled shutters and doors with fielded panels; 2-panel doors on the first floor. Original chimney pieces survive including Ashburton marble in ground floor front left room, 2 timber chimney pieces on the first floor. The rear left room has early C18 wall panelling and a timber boxed cornice panelling and cornice reused and extended into Edwardian bay. Chimney piece flanked by fluted pilasters with a triglyph frieze above a single panel: this is so close in design to No 11, Union Road (q.v.) that it suggests the same design. Late C18 chimney piece with plain Italian marble lintel and jambs framed by an Adam style pilasters with a boar hunting scene in a panel in the centre. Circa 1860 sencaustic tiling throughout the entrance passage. First floor rooms to front flank a pair of closets. Service stair to attic, formerly for servants. Roof: 3 trusses with threaded purlins and vertical posts from the tie beams to the principals; struts above the collars, all fixed with pegs. A very complete mid C18 town house.


National Monuments Record, 2013, SS80SW41 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV350790.

No. 52 High Street. Circa 1740

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 298.
SDV345978Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2003. Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. Section 2.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #83923 ]
SDV350790National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2013. SS80SW41. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV39769List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Urban District of Crediton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 16.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 3 2013 2:02PM