HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23454
Name:The Manor House, Parliament Street, Crediton

Summary

Large house divided into four, probably 1820s, but incorporating parts or material from the pre 1743 Manor House that stood on this site.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 833 004
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/151
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387089

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Early, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1972, Crediton UD, 30 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV58751.

Early 19th century house has 2 storeyed stucco front, 4 sash windows with glazing bars and a Tuscan porch with a 6-panel door with panelled reveals. There are fluting and medallions on band below frieze, and coupled brackets to eaves cornice. There is a narrow cobbled forecourt with a low brick wall with stone cope. Good house in important position.


Timms, S. C., 1984, The Manor House, Tiverton (Personal Comment). SDV341234.

On site of earlier 17th century Manor House shown on mid 18th century plan of town in Devon Record Office.


Department of National Heritage, 1992, Crediton, 127 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV341235.

Large house divided into 4, probably 1820s but incorporating parts or material from the pre 1743 Manor House that stood on this site. Stuccoed, slate roof, end stacks with brick shafts. Overall U-plan, 2 storeys with symetrical 5-bay front. Deep eaves on paired brackets with a reeded frieze below, and an order of paterae below the frieze. Central Tuscan porch with moulded bases and capitals, and pilasters to the rear. Recessed 6 panel front door with a reeded doorcase, and 4 ground floor and 4 first floor original 8/12 pane sashes with some old glass. The rear elevation includes sash windows to the main block. The rear left wing has a good late 17th century moulded doorframe, and 18th century windows with square leaded panes, on the elevation facing into the courtyard, which is paved with pitched stones. The interior was not inspected on survey but noted as having a grand open well stair with stick balusters. A building called the Manor House is shown on this site on the plan of Crediton in 1743, the year of the great fire.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV341234Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. 1984. The Manor House, Tiverton. Unknown.
SDV341235List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1992. Crediton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 127.
SDV58751List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Crediton UD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 30.

Associated Monuments

MDV97415Related to: The Old Manor House (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4409 - Archaeological Assessment and Evaluation of Land at Parliament Street, Crediton

Date Last Edited:Feb 8 2013 3:28PM