HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV23552
Name:Farmhouse, Little Stert


Farmhouse, early 16th century with later alterations and additions.


Grid Reference:SX 601 575
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCornwood
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishCORNWOOD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/123
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 99171

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XVII - 1501 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Copeland, G. W., 1944, Thirteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 97-8 (Article in Serial). SDV148767.

Little Stert, 17th century house. A development of a farmhouse where there is direct communication between the living room and shippon. The passage from front to rear has disappeared, but the rear doorway though blocked, remains - a good roll-moulded four-centred one of granite. The fireplace has been moved but retains its original jambs, with an additional inner pair adapted from a chamfered window frame. The ceiling is of cleft oak, two huge moulded beams and moulded end stopped rafters. The original south window remains. Above is a similar window, but only the stops of the label remain. The wall has been lowered and the eaves of the roof replace the label. In the yard is a roughly circular granite trough.

Department of Environment, 1984, South Hams, 26 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336648.

Farmhouse, circa early 16th century with later alterations and additions. Stone rubble. Low-pitched slate roof with gabled and hipped ends. Two storeys. Seven window range. Moulded three-light stone mullion window, ground floor centre with four-centred arch lights and label. Three-light hollow-chamfered stone mullion window above and later stone window to right. Remainder are 19th century two and three-light casements, some with brick segmental arches. Both ends appear to have been rebuilt to some extent. Doorways to left and right with slated hoods. Large stone chimney stack on rear wall. Circa 19th century addition with hipped roof and outshut at rear. Interior: hall has moulded timber ceiling and granite chimneypiece. Blocked doorway on north of hall with four-centred arch head probably to former stairs. Small section of plank and muntin screen at lower end of hall.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV148767Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1944. Thirteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 76. Paperback Volume. 97-8.
SDV336648List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. South Hams. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 26.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).

Associated Monuments

MDV99574Part of: Little Stert, Cornwood (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Apr 30 2012 2:50PM