HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23554
Name:Butterbrook House, Rectory at Harford

Summary

Formerly a Rectory; now a house. Dates to around the early 19th century with reused 16th century porch either from an earlier house on the site or imported from elsewhere.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 637 592
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/124
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/24/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (Constructed, XIX - 1840 AD to 1850 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Rectory is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Copeland, G. W., 1946, Fifteenth Annual Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, (Beckerlegge, J. J.) page 108 (Article in Serial). SDV336106.

Harford Rectory. Some old carved granite work is found here in an otherwise modern house. In the gate-posts at forecourt entrance and in the porch doorway. Thought that these fragments came from Stowford. They consist of door jambs, label-stops and a complete doorway with a label on one of those stops, with the letter 'W' in relief.


Hankin, C. F., 1977-1979, Harford Parish Checklist (Worksheet). SDV149931.

(Estimated 1976-1979). Situated approximately 180 metres south of Harford Church, and approached by a private lane east of the house. The present building dates from 1843, the old Rectory being then pulled down. The house ceased to be church property in 1944. It is now a private residence known as Butterbrook. Details of buildings on worksheet.


Hankin, C. F., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for Harford (Un-published). SDV361875.

(Estimated 1976-1979). Situated approximately 180 metres south of Harford Church, and approached by a private lane east of the house. The present building dates from 1843, the old Rectory being then pulled down. The house ceased to be church property in 1944. It is now a private residence known as Butterbrook. Details of buildings on worksheet.


Department of Environment, 1984, South Hams, 31 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336648.

Formerly Rectory. Circa early 19th century with reused 16th century porch either from an earlier house on the site or imported. Rendered granite. Low pitched slate roof with gabled ends. Two storeys. Four window range. Sashes some with glazing bars. Glazed door to left of centre with 16th century granite porch with moulded 4-centred arch with carved spandrels and moulded label. Brick ridge and end chimneystacks. Stair projection and outshut at rear.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

'Butterbrook House' is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 31/01/2017 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

SX 65 NW HARFORD HARFORD 11/77 Butterbrook House - II
House, formerly Rectory. Circa early C19 with reused C16 porch either from an earlier house on the site or imported. Rendered granite. Low pitched slate roof with gabled ends. Two storeys. Four window range. Sashes some with glazing bars. Glazed door to left of centre with C16 granite porch with moulded 4-centred arch with carved spandrels and moulded label. Brick ridge and end chimneystacks. Stair projection and outshut at rear.
Listing NGR: SX6376759274

Sources / Further Reading

SDV149931Worksheet: Hankin, C. F.. 1977-1979. Harford Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital.
SDV336106Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1946. Fifteenth Annual Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 78. A5 Hardback. (Beckerlegge, J. J.) page 108.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336648List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. South Hams. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 31.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #84019 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 31/01/2017.
SDV361875Un-published: Hankin, C. F.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for Harford. Devon Archaeological Society Publication. 11. A4 Comb Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV117327Related to: Barn at the former Rectory, Harford (Building)
MDV13134Related to: Harford Rectory Leat (Monument)
MDV2850Related to: Mansion house at Lukesland Grove, Harford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 9 2018 10:39AM