HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23559
Name:Ivybridge, Methodist Chruch

Summary

Methodist church including boundary wall to north and west.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 633 560
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishIvybridge
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishERMINGTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/129
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 99193

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1907, 125NW (Cartographic). SDV148817.

'Chapel' indicated on Ordnance Survey 6" map (1907).


Ordnance Survey, 1966, Untitled Source (Cartographic). SDV320582.

'Chapel' indicated on Ordnance Survey 6" map (1966)


South Hams District Council, 2005, Untitled Source (Planning Application). SDV320615.

Construction of two multi-use spaces and a new atrium incorporating a café, Methodist Church, Fore Street, Ivybridge Other details: Plans and elevations.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Methodist Church including boundary wall to north and west. 1874-76. Coursed and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Nave, chancel. North and south transepts and south-west tower. Plate tracery windows, 2 in the west end with rook shafts with carved capitals and rose window above. The transepts have group of 3 lancets. Buttresses with set-offs and gablets. The south-west tower has buttressed square base and octagonal upper stage with broached and bell-openings with nook shafts with carved capitals, and a short stone spire. S unday school built in 1937 attached to north-west side. Including dwarf stone boundary wall to north and west with decorative cast iron railings and 2 pairs of stone gatepiers with large caps with carved capitals and crochets. Interior: arch braced roof on corbelled colonettes supporting stone angels. Cruciform on plan with short chancel and transepts. Date listed: 2nd February 1984.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV148817Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1907. 125NW. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV320582Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1966. 6".
SDV320615Planning Application: South Hams District Council. 2005.
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 18 2011 3:05PM