HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23626
Name:Flavel Memorial Chapel, Dartmouth

Summary

A non-comformist chapel built in the late 19th century to commemorate John Flavel, a free church preacher. The church was badly damaged in an air raid in 1943.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 877 514
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85SE/78
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387247

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Dated, XIX - 1895 AD to 1895 AD)

Full description

Department of Environment, 1972, Dartmouth, 2 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV155627.

Congregational chapel. Late 19th century building, with interesting monument, to John Flavell, dissenting vicar of St. Saviour's Church, dated 1691.


Devon County Council, 1975, Dartmouth - Walk about in the Conservation Area & Exploring Dartmouth and Kingswear, 35 (Article in Monograph). SDV352452.

The Flavel Memorial Church commemorates John Flavel, a free church preacher.


Lidstone, W. E., 1982, Flavel Memorial United Reformed Church 1662-1980 (Pamphlet). SDV172558.


Stephenson, G., 2001, Archaeological Desk Top Study: Flavel Centre, Dartmouth (Report - Assessment). SDV319967.

The new church was completed in 1896 on land reclaimed in 1876-7. The church was badly damaged in an air raid in 1943.


Goodwin, N., 2004, Flavel Centre (Report - non-specific). SDV156234.


Ordnance Survey, 2008, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV340009.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

The Flavel Memorial Chapel (Formerly Listed as: Congregational Chapel). Non-conformist chapel, United Reformed, formerly Congregational. Dated 1895. Snecked limestone with Bathstone dressings; slate roof with pierced crested ridge tiles. Plan: Rectangular, with a vestigial east end at the actual west end, and a double porch at the actual east end. Vestry on the south side. Exterior: Decorated style. 2 gabled porches project from the east end. The right one has a large outer arch, 2-centred with moulded surround and hoodmould with carved leafy label stops, to the main doorway which contains the original plank door with good wrought ironwork. Larger left porch has a smaller doorway in the same style and a first-floor 2-light window with Decorated tracery. Behind is the main east front with large central 4-light window flanked by 2-light windows. Like all the others they have 2-centred arch heads and hoodmoulds with carved foliate label stops. Quatrefoil oculus under the apex of the gable which, like the west end gable, has obelisk finials over the shaped kneelers, stone coping and apex cross. Side walls are 6 bays divided by buttresses and central 4 bays contain 2-light windows. Interior not inspected. Known to contain an unusually-early non-conformist memorial to John Flavel (died 1691), an inscribed brass plaque praising his virtues. Originally erected in the Church of St Saviour but removed to the Foss Street chapel in 1709, and brought here in 1895. History: Built at a cost of £1200 on reclaimed land close to the site of the 18th century chapel which was thereafter used as a Sunday School (it was bombed in 1942). John Flavel was the minister at the Church of St Saviour until 1662, after which he led an eventful life as a dissenting minister; travelling in disguise, evading the authorities, preaching in secret and publishing 6 volumes of religious writing. His followers (from most of the leading mercantile families of the time) set up a dissenting meeting house in Foss Street in the 1670s. Several of these 17th century dissenters are commemorated in a series of stone tablets set in the chapel walls.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV155627List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 2.
SDV156234Report - non-specific: Goodwin, N.. 2004. Flavel Centre. Exeter Archaeology Report. Project 4995. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV172558Pamphlet: Lidstone, W. E.. 1982. Flavel Memorial United Reformed Church 1662-1980. Unknown.
SDV319967Report - Assessment: Stephenson, G.. 2001. Archaeological Desk Top Study: Flavel Centre, Dartmouth. Exeter Archaeology Report. Project 4995. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV340009Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2008. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Digital. [Mapped feature: #84079 ]
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV352452Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Dartmouth - Walk about in the Conservation Area & Exploring Dartmouth and Kingswear. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 35.

Associated Monuments

MDV64449Related to: Flavel Street Congregational Chapel (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 21 2014 11:14AM