HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23650
Name:Chapel in Chapel Lane, Dartmouth

Summary

Baptist chapel, built 1824, enlarged with addition of a school in 1878, and a later two storey residential annexe.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 877 511
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85SE/102
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387183

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHAPEL (Built, XIX - 1824 AD to 1878 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Baptist Chapel (Particular) Seats for 350' shown. Map object based on this source.


Department of Environment, 1972, Dartmouth, 11 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV155627.

Baptist Chapel, Chapel Lane. Probably 18th or early 19th century with alterations and additions. Stucco, rusticated quoins, arched windows with interlaced bars at head. Pedimented entrance with double doors, and round window above and window each side. Later two storey and attic residential annexe, stucco lined and painted, sash window with glazing bars.


Devon County Council, 1975, Dartmouth - Walk about in the Conservation Area & Exploring Dartmouth and Kingswear, 35 (Article in Monograph). SDV352452.

An early example of a Noncomformist Meeting House. Newcomen, inventor of the steam engine, was pastor here for many years.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Map object based on this source.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Baptist chapel, latterly a Pentecostal church, now (July 1990) disused. 1824, enlarged with addition of school in 1878. Local limestone rubble with brick dressings, front is stucco, with rusticated quoins on the right (eastern) corner; hipped slate roof. Exterior: Symmetrical 2-window front of tall round-headed fixed-pane windows with Gothic Y- tracery in the heads. Large central doorway with flat shouldered stucco surround and low-pitched hoodmould. Doors recessed; late 19th century folding double doors with diagonal planks to the panels, all under overlight with glazing bars. Directly above, an oculus window with radial glazing bars. Right (eastern) side wall has 4 large round-headed windows similar to those at the front except that these are 24 pane sash windows with fixed-pane heads with Gothic Y-tracery. Other parts hidden behind tall stone boundary wall. Interior: not inspected but likely to be of interest. (Freeman, Ray: Dartmouth and its Neighbours: Phillimore: 1990-: p165).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV155627List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 11.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV352452Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Dartmouth - Walk about in the Conservation Area & Exploring Dartmouth and Kingswear. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 35.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 21 2014 11:33AM